Room for Rent and other rental scams
#138629 by falloutgirl Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:55 am
Oh, thank God I found this post!

Today I got conned by this "Thomas Rolson" about a superbly good rent deal - SG$700 for a beautiful 2-rooms flat at Tiong Bahru. I thought it sounded fishy when I first saw the post but decided, why not, perhaps I got lucky after all! So I sent him an email asking if the apartment is still available for rent. He replied yes. He said he's a 50 year old civil engineer who's working in the UK as his company won a big auction there so he's relocated and left behind his apartment. I can move in anytime and EVERYTHING is included in the $700 rent. Utilities, Internet, carpark. I can even have all his nice designer-looking furniture. Too good to be true? IT IS!

So I replied asking if I can view the apartment prior to settling anything and how would it be arranged since he's clearly not in Singapore. Now the advertisement on roomsDB.net mentioned "Fully Furnished Apartment for RENT !!! No AGENTS!!!!". No agents. However, he suddenly said I will have to liaise with an agent called "LTD SERVICE" to view the apartment. First he said no agent, and now suddenly there's this agent whom he's signed a contract with!?!? Sounds fishy so I Googled this LTD SERVICE. Of course NOTHING CAME UP.

I will not be bothering to reply to his email. He asked me to send my private details (full name, address, telephone number) and pay 2 months worth of rent ($1400) just to view the apartment. Got me super suspicious and I am glad I didn't reply to him after that.

To all those out there.... BEWARE. THIS IS A SCAM. You never have to reveal such private details and make upfront payment JUST TO VIEW AN APARTMENT.
Last edited by falloutgirl on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Advertisement

#144877 by Bekka Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:43 pm
WOW!!!!! i new this rental property in Melbourne was too good to be true - yet i was intrigued to find out more. Sure enough, as the last post on this topic stated - i received the very same email correspondence word for word!

I hadn't in any way, divulged any personal details but kept communication open so that i could find out more information. When Tomas Bale (or Thomas Roslon) stated he'd have a shipping company send thru keys & lease agreement, i eagerly awaited word from them so i could complete relative searches to ensure everything was legit.

Then... BAMMMMMMM!!! i found this amazing read of a post!! so i sent thru the following response -

"Good Morning,

I feel horrible even mentioning it but upon a quick scan of all the information provided, i found the following -

http://netscammers.blogspot.com.au/2011 ... -scam.html

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5340&start=150

https://www.merolog.com/domains/w-m-shi ... -bank-b-b/

As you could imagine, i was quite shocked in reading the above information.

I am sorry to say, but unless i have some sort of confirmation from an Australian based Real Estate who is willing to act as a third party, any further correspondence will be void.

And please, do not threaten me with legal action as you have done so in the past... as stated earlier in conversation - i have great contacts here who would be very interested in knowing what it is you actually do.

Do NOT contact me any further.

Kindest Regards"

THANK YOU!!! as unfortunate as it is that people like them exist in our world - it also shows a true togetherness of honest individuals strong enough to share their stories in order to have others avoid such horrible encounters :beer:
#144902 by Dotti Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 am
I'm glad you were able to avoid being scammed.

One small point, though, as you encounter these scammers. We actually ask that you do not point scammers to listings on anti-scam sites. When you do that, it alerts the scammer to the fact that potential victims can search and find them out, and they are more likely change the details they use so they won't be detected the next time. It's far better to simply walk away, leaving the scammer wondering what he did wrong, and then posting any new details so the next victim can find him too.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#154183 by tipa Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 am
Tan Tong Ne is still doing this!

I looked for a room in ibilik.com, and found this Nice And Comfortable Apartment by TanTong
so i send to ask for more information, then he/she replied within 24 hour!
Telling me his profile ( internship in UK where is dad passed away and his mom lives)
his hobby and picture of room
He told me the address but not the name of it so I asked about it.
then he replied that it is Colonnade .
( which I have searched and found that it is way too nice for the price, and it has only 2 bedroom type, not three)
I have ask like 4 or five question but he did not answers but he replied me as following,

The last email is like this >>
to: ***
date: Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM
subject: RE: Nice And Comfortable Apartment
mailed-by: hotmail.com

Thanks for your mail,the rooms are still available either for short or long term basis depending on your choice and Like i said,my apartment has 3 rooms and a living room,so i use one room while two is for rent.The rent for the apartment is $500 per month but since you are 3 in the room you will be paying $900, while you would also make a security deposit of $900.This deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed during your stay.

Before we proceed though,there are some conditions and rules and I will like us to decide on and it just requires your consent and afterwards we can proceed with the contract and for me to reserve the room you so you can move in as soon as you want to,i will need you to get back to me with the following:

1.You shall sign a document confirming that the room has been reserved for you

2.You shall make your first month payment to me

3.You shall have to read the agreement contract which i shall send to you firstly as an attached mail before you make your payment. For the document to be prepared successfully,I would be needing the following details:

(1) Your move in and out date;
(2) Your current address and also the address where you would like the keys to the apartment,the Original copy of the contract and also the receipt of payment sent to after confirmation of payment from me which you shall sign and bring along with you when moving in finally as my room mate
(3) Your scanned ID passport for identification
(4) Your Full Name
(5) The Total Months you will like to stay in my apartment
(6) Mobile #

The house is located at 82 Grange Rd, Singapore 249587 The name of the apartment is the Colonnade . It overviews the courtyard with a large window. This apartment is ideal for 3 guests.The living room is well furnished and perfect,i am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now and would be back by the end of April.As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I would send you the Keys to the apartment by mail and also send the contract documents and receipt as well.

I hope you quite understand me and everything?

There is also a washer and dryer in the apartment for the laundry needs and also to the apartment has a car park.Infact,it has being allotted two car spaces.

I wait to read from you soonest to continue the contract and further details about the documents towards having you as my room mate.

Warmest regards,
Tan

The first email is like this >>>

Tan tong Ne <[email protected]>
11:25 PM (12 hours ago)

I have a Well furnished apartment suitable and decent for a Perfect roommate, the apartment is ready for immediate move in and it is located at 82 Grange Rd, Singapore 249587 but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me.

My Name is Tan Nee an easygoing jovial and friendly male. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact, I have being to France,also recently UK,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My Dad used to live here in this apartment with my Family but we later moved to UK where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in UK overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now on an internship project attached to a firm of my Dad's Company and I have being sent to supervise and would be back by the end of April. As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I will send you the Keys to the apartment by mail

About my apartment,
The house is located at 82 Grange Rd, Singapore 249587 It is a three bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have two rooms ready for move in, the rooms are furnished with a sofa-bed, two armchairs, dining table with expendable leaves with 4 matching chairs, television with digital receiver, telephone, parquet floors, and there is a window facing north. The apartment is wireless Internet enabled

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen, the living room and of course except my room, and you can also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is $500 Per Month and this includes the utility bills(all included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of $900. This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.

I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, I also attach the pictures of the apartment and i am willing to send you the tenement contract agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in.

Regards and waiting to read from you soon

Tan

<<< I was suspicious so I search for this name and I found this topic.

Thanks for sharing this
#155575 by Nixie Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 am
I think Ive been on the same situation as you do guys.
This started this week.

My name is Tomas Hobber and I received your email of interest for the rental of my apartment.
I'm looking for someone to live in the apartment, as soon as possible, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in United Kingdom, London. I'm a civil engineer, so my accommodation period here will be about 5 years.
I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons do you intend to live in my apartment, for what period, etc. I will tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student and I don't have a problem with pets (I own a little dog myself).
Now I am going to tell you something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished, renovated with taste and available from 2 months to 10 years. Also, very important, the utilities (water, gas, electricity, Internet, cable TV, parking space, refrigerator, microwave, etc) are INCLUDED in the price of SG$800/month for WHOLE APARTMENT. I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs).
About myself, I am 50 years old, I'm a civil engineer and I work for a large company in London.
You can move in the apt in the same day you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m already in London because we started the work, but you don't need to worry because I have made all arrangements to rent the apartment from here.Let me know if you decide to rent my apartment.

Thank you

--this is the email from [email protected]
--freaking scammer!!
Last edited by Bubbles on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Quotations added for clarity.
#163319 by NiceTryDude Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 pm
Hi everyone and thanks for the big help you gave me.

I found this SGD1500 / 1br - 600ft² - Craig Place(fully furnished, CBD area, very near to Tanjong Paga (20 Craig Road, Singapor)

this was the first answer he gave me when i asked for informations:

Thanks for the email. I am Joseph Khoo, I own the - 1br - Craig Place(fully furnished, CBD area, very near to Tanjong Paga (20 Craig Road, Singapore) - for rent and also want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes I and my wife to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, We are here in United Kingdom in our new house and also with the keys of the apartment we try to look for an agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not see and we are as well as don't want our house to be used any how in the our absent that is why we took the keys along with us. I and my wife came over to United Kingdom for a missionary work, so i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house. So get back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home. Hope you are okay with the price of SGD1500(1 months first payment) with hydro,heat laundry facilities, air condition and so on. I am looking forward to hear from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the apartment for rent. You are free to call me on my private phone number +447024030861

then i answered him about my interest in the deal, and this is the second mail he wrote:

I want you to know that you can stay long as you want to leave in the apartment,Because I and my Family have gotten another apartment here.But really the fact is that will need someone who is reliable,trustworthy,honest and to be able to maintain the apartment in terms of cleanliness.We are not really after the money for now,But someone who will take a very care of the property as his/her own.

We need someone who will promise us to take care of the property in a very good way. I want you to know that there is no problem for me not been around to show the inside of the apartment,I will make sure you have the keys and other document that will allow you to gain entrance to the apartment as soon as you send a Security Deposit fees.

And please note that is not all about sending the rent deposit or monthly rent that matters in this relationship and agreement, but your absolute maintenance and promise to keep my apartment save and clean.

And also i will need you to often send me some update pics of the apartment from time to time at your own convenient time if rented by you. As i will be trusting and counting on you. The key will come to you through DHL to the address you fill on the application form. .I will have the keys and the apartment document ship via DHL COURIER SERVICE and you will have them within 42hour and also i will forward to you the tracking number for the shipment.But before we proceed,I will like you to have the RENT APPLICATION FORM. Filled and return as soon as you can.

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you. Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys of the house to you, please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words, you know that,we do not see yet and only putting everything into God's hand, so please do not let us down with our property and God bless you more as you do this.

View the attached RENT APPLICATION FORM.

Thanks and God bless you and your family.

He forgot to attach the rent application form so i can't show you.
After the second email i never replied, i just wrote him my mobile number and my name(not the surname)in the first email, you think that could be dangerous somehow?? is there a way he can use my number?

i searched for his email address in the forum, but i didn't find anything,
hope this can be helpful

Nice Try Dude!!!!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation for clarity and made email address searchable.
#163325 by vonpaso xlura Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 pm
His writing looks West African. I don't know what Singapore English looks like, but he is obviously not in or from the United Kingdom, as the writing and phone number show.

I doubt he is going to do anything with your phone number. Calling it would be expensive, so he wouldn't call unless he thought he could scam money from you. He's spammed the script to lots of people hoping that a few would respond.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#198105 by Moleland Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 am
Hi everyone, I also encountered a similar scam but while searching for apartment in HK. I've sent personal details and passport scans but not money, so thankful for that. But just beware in case my identity (I'm from Singapore) is being used to scam someone into a Singapore apartment...

I used easyroommate HK and what I noticed is that the advert sounded very confident, full of life and like a real person, but the email correspondences sounded like poor English and not well written. Scammer probably used a "self introduction" emailed to them by someone else.

Email address: [email protected]

Name: Elizabeth, or Megan Elizabeth Connor

Excerpt of email:
My name is Megan Elizabeth O’Connor and i am 26 years old and I am now located in the United Kingdom temporarily and won't be returning to the apartment for some months. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling and in fact I have being to Germany, Whales, Hong Kong,USA also recently Scotland, I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My father used to live in the apartment also later moved to UK where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in UK overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime.

Yen Han
#219962 by WampWampWamp Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 am
HAHA That email sounds very familiar. Here is what "Li Ming Kit" replied to me on an inquiry about a room in HK:

Thanks for the mail, i am so happy to let you know that the apartment is still very much available for rent.Here are some important information about the apartment.The apartment cost 5500HK$ per month including all bills such as: Wireless internet facilities, Television, Phone, Microwave, Dish washer, washing machine, Dryer, Refrigerator, Bedroom, Bathroom, Toilet,Living room, kitchen, utility room, parking space, dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, fridge, stove, oven, microwave and coffee maker. The bedroom has a full bed with down duvet & pillows, the blankets, and a 6 drawer dresser, dining table, reading chair, fold out couch, water, hydro.

Plus 6500HK$ for security deposit payment which is refundable while packing without any lost or damage of my properties.

My name is Li Ming Kit and i am 27 years old and I am now located in the USA temporarily and won't be returning to the apartment for some months. My hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling and in fact I have being to Germany, Whales, Hong Kong,USA also recently Scotland, I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My father used to live in the apartment also later moved to USA where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in USA overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime.

The apartment is located at 254, Tung Chau St, Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong…Tung Ming Building and it just about 10 minutes walk to its MRT and bus station,the apartment spacious is about 120sqm and a room is about 35sqm, restaurant and public transport all around and it's few minutes walking distance to the supermarket so it's located in a very nice and safe area in central Hong Kong.

But before any reservation can you tell me little about yourself, anything you think you want me to know about you.

Where are you from and also where are you presently?

What are you doing for living?

How old are you?

Attached are some pictures of how my apartment looks like. That is the information you need to know about my apartment, if you are interested in renting my apartment kindly get back to me so that i can tell you on how to get it reserved.

Best Regards,

Li Ming Kit.

BEWARE FOLKS! NEVER GIVE OUT ANY VALUABLE INFO AND MOST OF ALL DON'T SEND THEM MONEY!

WAMP WAMP WAMP.....
#229107 by Tobbe Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:10 pm
Thank you Moleland and WampWampWamp, it seems I've been a victim of the same email. I've been in contact with Megan Elizabeth O'Connor.
This is her initial email:
Thanks for the mail, i am so happy to let you know that the apartment is still very much available for rent.Here are some important information about the apartment.The apartment cost 6500HK$ per month including all bills such as: Wireless internet facilities, Television, Phone, Microwave, Dish washer, washing machine, Dryer, Refrigerator, Bedroom, Bathroom, Toilet,Living room, kitchen, utility room, parking space, dishes, cutlery, pots, pans, fridge, stove, oven, microwave and coffee maker. The bedroom has a full bed with down duvet & pillows, the blankets, and a 6 drawer dresser, dining table, reading chair, fold out couch, water, hydro.

Plus 7000HK$ for security deposit payment which is refundable while packing without any lost or damage of my properties.

My name is Megan Elizabeth O’Connor and i am 27 years old and I am now located in the USA temporarily and won't be returning to the apartment for some months. My hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling and in fact I have being to Germany, Whales, Hong Kong,USA also recently Scotland, I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My father used to live in the apartment also later moved to USA where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in USA overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime.

The apartment is located at 37, Leighton road, causeway bay, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong and it just about 10 minutes walk to its MRT and bus station,the apartment spacious is about 120sqm and a room is about 35sqm, restaurant and public transport all around and it's few minutes walking distance to the supermarket so it's located in a very nice and safe area in central Hong Kong.

But before any reservation can you tell me little about yourself, anything you think you want me to know about you.

Where are you from and also where are you presently?
What are you doing for living?
How old are you?

Attached are some pictures of how my apartment looks like. That is the information you need to know about my apartment, if you are interested in renting my apartment kindly get back to me so that i can tell you on how to get it reserved.

Best Regards,
Megan E Connor.

This is sent from [email protected]
Initial contact was made through easyroommate.com. I was searching for flats in Hong Kong.
I've sent a scanned copy of my passport, but nothing else, luckily.
#229111 by Clair Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:29 pm
Welcome Tobbe, Glad you didn't send them any money! Thanks for posting the email and contact info. It just might help in preventing somebody else from becoming a victim.
#246518 by Issacliew789 Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:49 pm
I had get a similar email from when i look for room at ibilik.sg

Thank you for your email, I'm glad to read from you . My name is Pastor Zulhilmi Hasan the owner of the 1 bedroom whole apartment your are interested in renting. my apartment is a WHOLE 1 bedroom Unit flat . I actually resided in the apartment with my Wife before and presently we just moved out about 6 days ago due to a Christian Job Seminal & Course Now I reside in Hangzhou ( China) and presently our apartment its still available for rent. All the utilities included in the RENT are ,Air Condition,Stove,Microwave, Washer n Dyer, Cable, Wifi Internet Connectivity, Dishwasher, Secured Paring, Fridge and PUB BIL. Only you will be living in the apartment with no sharing with other tenant only if you have a GF or friend and you will have to pay extra...My apartment is fully furnished and the $500 per month Includes all d utilities mentioned above and cooking is allowed also .. $500 deposit also required ..

I'm on a Christian Job transfer and i will like you to get in touch with my wife who just left Malaysia yesterday for south Africa for more information and pictures. She has the keys and documents of the apartment . This is her email ( [email protected] ) please do not hesitate to contact her. I would like to note that I am a very honest man and I put alot to our flat we're about to rent to you. So I solicit for our absolute maintenance of this apartment and want you to treat it as yours. We want a tenant that will keep it clean at all times, so we be glad to see it neat whenever we come for a check up which we do often. We will give you a month notice to let you know that we will be showing up for a check up. I also want you to let me have trust in you, as I am a man of my words. neither me or my wife will be coming sooner to live back in the apartment,we will be returning back to live in the flat by March 2018.

Special Notice : Pls note that there's none of us to show you the apartment,as we would have to send you the keys through DHL OR FEDEX COURIER SERVICE ON A NEXT DELIVERY TO YOUR HOME and you can move in asap.A refundable deposit is required.if you are ok with this ,Pls Email my wife Mrs TEO MING HASAN ([email protected] ) and she will attend to you better.

PLS NOTE THAT MY WIFE WILL ALSO SEND YOU PICTURES AND ADDRESS OF THE APARTMENT. once you have emailed my wife,you can also send her a whats app message ( +60-16-237-0273 OR 0060-16-237-0273).she will only reply to your whats app message once you have EMAILED HER FIRST..

Thanks and God Bless You

Pastor Zulhilmi Hasan

PLS DO NOT WASTE OUR TIME IF YOU WON'T BE PAYING THE DEPOSIT TO GET THE KEYS YOU CAN LOOK FOR ANOTHER APARTMENT NOW AND DON'T BOTHER EMAILING MY WIFE.

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:59:17 +0000
To: <removed> MW
Subject: RE: For Rent A Whole 1 Bedroom Apartment In Aljunied With Ac & Wifi, No Agent!!
#256069 by edward.lim Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:03 am
The email below is what I received from a scammer on easyroommate SG. Summarize it down, it is an offer of a REALLY nice studio unit with ridiculously cheap 700SGD per month. But I started suspect it when she refused to offer me ANY other contact method.

Also, the agency she uses, called fenmead in UK, with legit company registry number. Not sure how she did it, but I actually found the company's history on UK's government website, the Fenmead company started at 1988. 2nd moment that got my suspecting it is that the whole fenmead's website doesn't contain ANY legit contact method as well.

I hope someone able to point out is it a scam or not, also to bring out the awareness of these genre of scam.

Below is the email I received from someone called Ronda Fatyo, 42 y.o., from UK.

Hello,

My name is Ronda Fatyo and I just got an e-mail regarding your interest in my apartment in 405 Pandan Gardens, Singapore, 600405.
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment, because my company has won an auction for a big construction project in Liverpool, United Kingdom. I'm a project manager in civil engineering, so my accommodation period here will be very large (more than 4 years). I bought this flat when I worked in Singapore as part of a 4 year contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent. I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there.
I want to rent my apartment to some nice and responsible persons, so I would like to know more details about yourself : How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pet, if you have a car, occupation etc.. I must say that I have nothing against the fact that you're a student and I love pets and they are welcome in the apartment. You should also know that I appreciate the sincerity.
In addition to the rest, here is some information about myself and about the apartment, so we knew a little more.
The apartment is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished, fully equipped, so you won't need anything to move in (you can also bring your own things furniture if you have).
The monthly rent for the entire flat is 700 SG$ including utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable, one parking space). You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.
About myself, I am 42 years old, single woman, and as mentioned above I am a project manager in civil engineering, currently living in Liverpool, United Kingdom. You can move into the apartment the same day you receive the keys. I'm in Liverpool, but I already though at a solution so you can get the keys and visit the apartment to make an impression.
I appreciate your interest in my apartment and I'm looking forward to our future collaboration and friendship.

Sincerely,
Ronda

Click the link for pictures: http://share.pho.to/7VBvW