Information on romance scams and scammers.
#159658 by Family07 Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 pm
Dec 2012 I was online & Bryan started chatting with me on MySpace. He asked if I have YIM acct & can we alk. It's been months things seemed fine until yesterday. I got a message from him saying he can't get leave unless I pay for his trip, $1,467. I told him no way & why can't the Army pay for your leave, he the Army does not pay for personal leave. His Yahoo name is Cpt.Purcell has anyone got scammed by him?
Advertisement

#159671 by GHOST Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm
HALLO PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY,,I BEG YOU NO MONEY ,,, THE NAME SOME HOW RING A BELL,,,BUT IT DID NOT TAKE LONG AS WITH YOU ..FIRST WRITHING HE ASK ..THE ARMY DO PAY FOR LEAVE ,,AS I WAS TOLD HERE ..REAL SOLDIERS DO NOT ASK EVER FOR MONEY,,,SOME JUST COME AND ASK YOU FOR MONEY FIRST TIME SOME WANT YOU FALL FOR THEM FIRST ,,, PLEASE READ WHAT WAS SAYED HERE BEFOR ... BUT I BEG YOU NEVER EVER SEND MONEY OR YOU FALL LIKE I DID AND GET HURT BADLY ,,,BELIVE ME PLEASE ...LIKE THERE SAY ...REAL SOLDIERS NEVER ASK FOR ANY MONEY FOR THEM SELF OR THERE FAMILYS ...NO MATTER WHAT THERE TELL YOU DO NOT PAY PLEASE ..I BEEN THERE AND STILL PAY LOANS OF NOW AS IT NEVER WILL STOP AS LONG AS YOU SEND MONEY ...THERE WILL ASK ...PLEASE NEVER EVER GIVE THEM OR ANY BODY YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER OR CARD NUMBER PLEASE ..SCAMMERS CAN TAKE LOANS OUT IN YOUR NAME AS WELL ..YOU CAN PM ME IF YOU WISH ...
GHOST
#159673 by vonpaso xlura Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm
Please post the email address used by this scammer so that others can find it. Soldiers do not need to ask anyone outside of the military for anything concerning leave.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#159674 by Bubbles Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:53 pm
As GHOST has said above, it is a scammer. Please post up the email address or the YM id he is using.

Don't send money to him. You can delete him from your Yahoo contact list then when a message pops up, you can block him. He will move on.

You are correct, a member of the military does not have to pay for leave. Scammers are practiced liars and their goal is to get money from you. Just move on and don't tell him anything. What ever he says to you is going to be a lie.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#159686 by jolly_roger Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:28 am
Have you received an e-mail from the scammer? If so, the heades will (usually) give a good indication of the origin. In this case, it's more likely originating from west africa. You are not in contact with a Captain but an imposter! Please, please, please and many pleases' read the post on viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6528
Also if you scroll to the top of this page, you see the site search function. Type the words, military scam, or military leave. Type in words to that effect and the results shown on the screen will blow you away.
This being a must see for all the women out there, and I hope everyone watches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wINxg12fGok and then hop over to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJOuvEcarNs (and take notice of the words)
#160261 by rschulter Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 pm
I have recently been in contact and fell hard for a Capt Bryan Purcell...he goes my BryanPurcell13 on Yahoo IM and he found me on zoosk. We have been talking for weeks and making plans for him to come home... one of his emails is [email protected]. He says he is a Capt on a UN Peacekeeping mission in Sudan and lost his wife and daughter in a terrible car crash several years ago. When I would ask about family he said his parents were killed in front of him and he has no immediate family in the states only a distant family member in Canada...He also said he was from Brooklyn NY but after searching for him on publicdata.com I found no one by that name. He is a sweet talker for sure...VERY respectful and kind....Luckily, I have a dear friend that found this thread and shared it with me....now I am posting my experience to hopefully stop the next woman from being hooked...he had not asked for any money yet....but he won't be able to ask as I have blocked him from email, IM and FB....BEWARE...BE ALERT, AND TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!
#160286 by jolly_roger Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 am
Thankyou for printing the email address of the scammer. Many people do internet searches of the email addresses used by the tricksters. By publicising as much info as possible gives the scammer maximum exposure greatly reducing anyone else having their fingers burnt by the scoundrel.
#160475 by rschulter Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:30 am
The last picture posted of the yahoo pic is the one he used on zoosk too...however, there is a different pic on his FB profile. He tried contacting me today via IM YAHOO and I responded and told him what a snake, scum and low life he was and had been found out....I then immediately blocked him.
#165156 by MoLady Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm
I believe my very good friend has been scammed by this person also. He used the same story with her as with rschulter but the email he used with my friend is [email protected]. He wanted her to send money so he could come home on leave and visit her. He even talked of retiring and staying with her. Unfortunately, she did send money and she received confirmation of his flight. The day before he was to come see her she received another email saying he wouldn't be able to leave unless he paid for a replacement to be flown in and needed more money sent. She didn't send any, and they are still talking. I just found this site today and gave her the info. She's furious and wants to question him...if anyone would have any other information to give her that would be awesome! The picture he sent her is similar to the one he uses on yahoo.
#165157 by Bryon Williams Sat May 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners MoLady,

I am sorry to hear that your friend has been tricked and lost money to this scammer. It also great that you found this site with some of the scammers information.

This scammer is using stolen photo's. Your friend is in communication more than likely with someone in West Africa or Malaysia. That person is probably in his late teens normally less than 30 years of age.

The scammer used a classic Military Romance Scam. Military members do not have to pay for leave, to fly home, phone privileges or replacement soldiers. The Military provides everything they need. Also when deployed a Military member will use his free time to communicate with friends and family. The do not have time to be chatting on Yahoo, looking for love on dating sites and emailing strangers.

Once your friend sent the first money request he knew that he could get more. So, that is why a new money request was made. He will continue to have new money request until your friend is broke or she stops communicating with him.

Here is a link to Military Romance Scams: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527

Also, tell your friend about Recovery Scams. In this scam. The scammer will write your friend with a new name, email address informing her that he can recover her lost money. She would only have to pay a fee through Western Union or Money Gram. Once again this is also a scam attempt and lie.

Her scammer will continue to lie and never admit he is a scammer. He will do his best to convince her he is real. If she tells him that he is posted here. He will make a new email address in 5 minutes and continue to scam women. This will make it harder for other women avoid his lies and scams.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#165872 by MoLady Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 pm
Bryon,
Thanks so much for the information. I have another question...if these photo's are stolen, Is there a website or somewhere to go to find out who these real soldiers are? I do have another bit of information...when I posted last about my friend being scammed...Mr. Purcell knew about it immediately! He contacted my friend not long after the post went up and told her that I, and the other ladies that have posted here, caused him to lose rank. In my terms that means loser to bigger loser. This tells me he is watching this site, which I think is awesome because if this will stop his sorry butt from stealing, lying, and being the dirt bag he is from doing this to even one more person then it's all worth it.
#165875 by Bryon Williams Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 pm
MoLady,

I do not know how to find the real Soldier. He may already know about his pictures. He is a victim as well.

What the Fake Cpt Bryan Purcell at [email protected] meant to tell your friend, is that because he is posted here he is losing victims and stolen money.

As I already stated he will lie and continue to lie. Scammers do this all time. They are programed to lie, cheat and steal.

I doubt he will stop thieving. These low life scammers have no conscious or morals. They believe in only in crime.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#167659 by MoLady Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 pm
Bryon,

Thanks for the reply. I have given my friend all the information you've provided. After my last post here she didn't hear anything from good ol Bryan for a few days and then she gets an email stating he had been shot and was in a coma...how convenient!

She told me that she didn't respond to that email or the one following a few days later that said he was out of the coma and doing well...geez, who saw that coming!

He then contacted her a short time later and she asked him where he had been shot...he said his arm and leg...really!!!

Thanks to this site and the women who were brave enough to post what happened to them, my friend now knows he's a piece of garbage that scammed her. I only wish I had found out about him sooner before she gave him money, money she didn't have to throw away!

MoLady
#167662 by jolly_roger Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 pm
Hi MoLady and wished it were hello under better circumstances. As the other members have indicated, your friends time is being wasted by a useless scam artist. As I've said countless times previously and will keep on doing so, military personnel do not ask members of the public for goods or money to be sent. I presume they started contact via a supposedly internet dating site? Any time you see supposed dating site and 'military person', you can bet your pants on it being a scam!

I am sending you a Private Message, please read it.