Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#124250 by Cocochanel22222 Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 pm
I had emails last night form the same guy!
Craig A. Sultan - [email protected]
I have listings on gumtree.com.au
Thank godness for this website and hubby telling me to google this person.
Cant believe people do this!

Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I
am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay through
paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i
dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my
paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all
i will need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if
you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one it cant take you
less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l
can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after
payment has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap..
Advertisement

#124435 by jussy Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 pm
Hi All,
I just got a similar text (yet another....)

Hi,thanks for your response. I would have love to come for the inspection but due to the nature of my work i won't be able to do that as am a petroleum engineer and am on a rig offshore. Am buying it for my holiday cos I'll be coming soon from our rig. I have gone through the advertisement and am satisfied with it. I want you to come down by few pounds and then tell me the last price you want to sell it to me,as am really ready to buy it. I await your immediate reply.

...from
[email protected]

As ever, beware.
#124671 by ehabbilal Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:15 am
Hey Everyone,

I have a Bmw 525D and I am wanting to sell it. So i put the Car on autoscout 24 and within 5 hours i recieved a message from a Vicente Ferrando: This should sound all to familiar to you guys/girls

Hello,

Thanks for your swift response as I'm quite satisfied with the condition as am Okay with the price of 29,000 EUR using PayPal and about the delivery have already contacted a shipper coming for the collection of it once payment has been confirmed by PayPal... I will not be able to view it due to my nature of work as am a full time worker. A shipping company will be coming for the pickup after payment has been made and will sign all necessary documents,including the Log Book when they comes for the collection and they will do every necessary check up to know if it got all conditions as the same as you have described it.

PayPal is an online banking solution that has the ability to transfer fund in a fast and secure manner which you are to attach your Bank Account to it so funds can be credited to your Bank Account directly. It is fast because funds are transferred in real time, and secure because all of your banking and personal details are not exposed. When transacting using PayPal, all you have to provide is your PayPal details instead of your bank details. After your money has been sent, PayPal will verify the transaction and immediately credit it to your Bank account and you can already start playing. Paying with your bank-account is safe as your bank-details will not be shared with the receiver.If you do not have an account with PayPal, visit www.paypal.com and register with them. When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can pay in.

So watch out people this is still an active scam.
#127702 by melisandeld Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:24 pm
I think I just avoided the same kind of scam. Got a text (from a pinger number) at 7AM the morning after putting my old car for sale on Kijiji (in Canada) telling me to email Jayme Wallace Jr [email protected] (couldn't find his name when I googled it, though). We exchanged a few e-mails (this one led me to think it was the same kind of scam as those described above:
Ok just wanted to make sure nothing has been left out
Happy to purchase at your asking price
(I had just told him to make me an offer) and do you have a PayPal account,as i will be paying the with PayPal and have pick up done from your location as i am away at the moment,so email communication would do best for now as well.In the meantime,can you send me some pictures?)
He didn't want to see the car or try it and kept insisting that I give him my paypal info because he really wanted to pay me. I was a little suspicious the whole time, at first because he didn't seem to really read my messages (didn't answer my questions), and then because he said something about sending a private company to pick up the car and his lawyer to do the paperwork (I was selling a '99 car for 1000$). I finally decided it best to call the whole thing off after his last message: "I will have my lawyer take there of that really and its not a big deal, all I'm concerned about is paying for it as I really need is so bad". God I didn't think anyone could want such an old car so bad! At that moment, I didn't want to take any chances, but I wasn't convinced it was a scam. Reading your stories really convinced me. Be careful, everyone, it is a very active scam!
#127806 by smwolf Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm
this is an email i got after one or two short emails about my car, this is for sure a scam right?

Honestly i am buying this for my Dad and he is a mechanic, but the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:

Many Thanks.
#127874 by Bubbles Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:03 am
smwolf wrote:this is an email i got after one or two short emails about my car, this is for sure a scam right?

Welcome to ScamWarners smwolf. Yes it is absolutely a scam. Scammers often claim they cannot use the phone like this. If they have internet access, they could have phone access.

The reason they do not want to speak on the phone is their accent will give away that they are NOT who or what they claim to be.

Just ignore it and move on. Thank you for reporting it.

Please post up the email address this message came from. That will help others who are searching to see if they are dealing with a scammer.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#129160 by recessinheels Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 pm
Thanks to google and this site, I managed to spot the scam before they wasted any more of my time! Signed up to this site just to post that I got the same email from Craig A. Sultan (email add: [email protected]). The contents of his emails were similar to the ones above. However, I had another email from Robyn Latty [email protected] with the following text:

'Thanks a lot for the reply. I am buying it for my son who just graduated ontop of his class in Australia national university (ANU) .He studied Business Law and Professional Ethics Minor and am so proud of him .i want it as a surprise package to appreciate him towards his achievement and to be delivered before my arrival NT as my family lives in NT presently.

I work with AWE New Zealand Pty Ltd and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking.I am already in talks with the courier that will handle the pick-up and delivery it in NT.

As regards the payment, I can pay you through direct bank deposit,using ppal instant bank wire transfer service as i have my N.A.B account attached to my ppal account, I will need your bank details to the transfer EFT and If you are not comfortable with that, you can set up a paypal account proper at www.paypal.com.au and I will make the payment through paypal, this way, all I will need is your paypal email address.
Cheers!!
"

Both 'Craig' and "Robyn" had sent me text messages prior to their emails. What is worrying is that the standard of English "Robyn" uses is quite good. Had Craig not contacted me, I would not have suspected Robyn to be a scammer until she asked for payment. Anyways! Just posting this info to help anyone else there who got an email from Robyn.

As advised by another website, I have included "No paypal payments will be accepted" in my gumtree ad to avoid anymore of such scammers wasting my time!
#129161 by vonpaso xlura Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:16 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners!

The English may look good to you, but there are at least two errors that are more likely in the writing of West Africans (at least West African scammers) than anyone who grew up in Australia or any other mostly English-speaking country. I'm not going to point them out in public, lest the scammer find his post here.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#159772 by James.eliot Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm
I got this one today. Extremely dodgy and the English is terrible. CAUTION!

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.I am pleased with your price of 2000 and i want you to get back to me with more pictures of the (interior,engine and the exterior) of this vehicle (if available) because i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work.Am buying it for my holiday cos I'll be coming soon from our rig as am an engineer and am on a rig offshore.As for the payment..i can only pay via the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal) here,pls get back to me with your PayPal details and in case you don't have,you can also get back to me with your bank details so i can proceed with payment and contact the courier agent that will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place,and With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier services company agent so you don't have to worry about that. I await to hear from you soon.
#161150 by jackn74 Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:27 pm
You know the good old saying "if its too good to be true it probably is?" We advertised a car for sale and within half an hour received a txt from Craig Sultan (as mentioned by previous posters) asking for a price. After responding we then got the email about Paypal. Hmmm...something didn't sit right and I'm glad that I have now found out that this is all a scam.
My nieve nature can't believe that there are people out there like it but can certainly back up that this b..... is still pulling the same crap.
#209663 by stef89 Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:03 am
Paul Mangion is at it again. Thanks for posting this guys. You just saved me from a scam. He contacted me about buying my car here in Australia, but when he offered to pay without inspection i knew something was wrong. So i googled and found this page. Thanks heaps. Here is my story to warn others of his new scam.

I got a text asking me to email [email protected] and when i did i got this reply:

---
Paul Mangion
7:33 PM (24 minutes ago)
Thanks for getting back,i'm cool with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the momement and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my westpac bank account,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply
---

This set off alarm bells in my head, so i googled around. After i realised it was a scam i sent him this:

---
Dear Paul,

I am sorry but your email address has been posted on a scammers website, so i know you are trying to scam me. I am very internet savvy and you are not fooling anyone. No one would pay for a car without checking it first. Sham on you for trying such a harsh con. It is people like you who destroy this world for others. Do you enjoy ruining lives? Because that is what you scammers do. You steal from honest people who are just trying to make it through life and leave them broken. Why don't you try and earn money honestly instead of scamming it out of others. It is pathetic really. You should choose a new career path, because this one only causes the world misery. I do not know how you people sleep at night.

I will be reporting this email address to Google for misuse and scamming.

Goodbye.
----

I felt like i needed to rant at him a bit because he got my hopes up about selling my car. I know he will not care but it made me feel better. So anyways, please watch out for his new email address. I do not want anyone to get mislead by this idiot. And thanks again for the warning. - Stef.
#209675 by vonpaso xlura Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 am
Please do NOT report the scammer's address to Google! We want the scammers to stay at the same email address so that other potential victims can find the scam by searching for the email address. Also don't tell the scammer that you found his address on a website. Just stop responding to him.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#209676 by stef89 Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:21 am
Sorry - these scammers really make me mad. Didn't think about that. If people search for Paul Mangion + Scam in google they will be able to see him using over 10 different email addresses to scam people. It looks like he has been scamming people for years in the UK and Australia.... :(
#219336 by rdnkwman Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 pm
WOW! I am new here! Just found this site, and now I'm not sure what to do. I have a big truck for sale on craigslist. Since I work nights, i requested text messages. I've been communicating with someone who offered to pay my full asking price. He said he would deposit the money into my PayPal account. This has been going on for a few weeks now. He keeps apologizing saying he is very busy, works offshore but definitely wants the truck. He said he would have his pickup connection contact me once the money cleared in my account. I thought it was legitimate because he said 'once the money cleared'! Still no money!
Then he sent me a message saying he did not have his credit card with him, and needed to pay his agent. He wanted to give me an extra $800 that I was to use to pay his agent. I was to send this to his agent via MoneyGram.
So far, no money has been exchanged and I told him I was not comfortable receiving the extra money.
All I have is a phone number from which he sends his text messages. He has my email address, though he keeps asking me for it saying he did not receive it. I have all the text messages saved.
NOW WHAT?? What is his vicious plan? Please help!