Room for Rent and other rental scams
#156911 by Prince73 Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm
Thank You Very kindly all you good people who posted about this thief Robert Perusse, I got all these emails from him today, plus a set of pictures at the 140 Simcoe Place, Toronto, see below:

Thanks for the mail and the interest in my apartment, the whole flat cost $650 per month including utilities, meanwhile, the refundable deposit is $500. The flat is freshly painted, neat and fully furnished with all your needs including internet computer with printer, ins-suite laundry as well as 1 parking space, attached to this email are the interior pictures of the apartment, because the apartment is currently locked up at the moment and i will be happy to rent out my apartment to you for the period you want it, if you do promise me that you will take care of the place once you move in and i want you to know that i moved out of the my apartment with my family due to the new job i secured here England, so like i told you i am not in Toronto to show you the apartment in person, am now in England, that is why i stated you will have to drive by the apartment to view all the exteriors for you to have a better idea where the apartment is located then fill out the rent application form in order for me to proceed on how the keys and document of the apartment will be delivered to your current address and how you will make payment to me Via Money Transfer agent at any moneygram local store agent nearest to you, so get back to me with your rental form so i can get the lease prepared forward it to you, so you can sign and get back to me and i will make delivery arrangement immediately.

********RENT APPLICATION FORM*******

(Private and Confidential)

FIRST NAME: __________________

MIDDLE NAME: __________________

LAST NAME: __________________

PROFESSION: ________________

PHONE (____) __________ (CELL)

PHONE (____) __________ (WORK)

PHONE (____) __________ (HOME)

MARITAL STATUS: _________

KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________

PRESENT ADDRESS: ___________________________

CITY: _______________

STATE: ______________

POSTAL CODE: _____________

WHAT IS YOUR MOVE IN DATE______________

HOW MANY MONTH RENT CAN YOU PAY UPFRONT TO SECURE THE APARTMENT NOW ? ___________

HOW LONG ARE YOU STAYING IN MY HOME? ____________

Await your respond so i can proceed with change of names and address of new tenant on the lease form and making delivery arrangement to your current address via DHL Express Courier service.

Many thanks

Robert Perusse

To:
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 1:03:45 AM
Subject: Re: Tenant inquiry from gottarent.com on 14-Mar-2013 19:37:47
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my apartment .The apartment is still available for rent and is available for long term/short term lease. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I just got a job with S & W Engineering Company in Manchester, England. I work as a Senior Project Supervisor and i will be here for long that is why am putting up my apartment for rent.

The apartment is located at: 140 Simcoe Street, Toronto, ON M5H 4E9, Canada

This unit is available as long as you want it.furnished 1bed/1bath apartment ,The apartment is strategically located in a very cool and lovely environment with many appliances including dish washer with in-suite laundry room and plenty of storage space and parking space . Professional and mature neighbors ensure peaceful living arrangements. Freshly painted.The rent is $650 per month including utilities and security deposit of 500 which is refundable at the end of your stay...I will like you to drive by to the building today to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located and get back to me so that I can forward you the full interior pictures for you to have an idea on how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step which is the application process..

Thanks for taking your time in writing me and hope to hear back from you.

Many thanks

Robert Perusse

http://www.gottarent.com/Default.aspx?T ... el=details

Property: Simcoe Street Toronto Ontario M5H 4E9

Comments: I need a Bachelor or 1 bed room for May the 1st.
Advertisement

#162955 by ShaneHalcon Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 pm
Thank you SO MUCH for this thread. My apologies to those that have suffered losses thanks to this fool. I was almost scammed by this idiot today whilst i was looking for an apartment. His email to me (as Below) , the same, word for word, as his other scams.

Hope this scammer gets caught.

Cheers All!

Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:39 PM
To: info@********.com
Subject: Re: Tenant inquiry from gottarent.com on 18-Apr-2013 12:06:34

Hello

Thanks for your interest in my apartment .The apartment is still available for rent and is available for long term/short term lease. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I just got a job with S & W Engineering Company in Manchester, England. I work as a Senior Project Supervisor and i will be here for long that is why am putting up my apartment for rent.

The apartment is located at: 140 Simcoe Street, Toronto, ON M5H 4E9, Canada

This unit is available as long as you want it.furnished 1bed/1bath apartment ,The apartment is strategically located in a very cool and lovely environment with many appliances including dish washer with in-suite laundry room and plenty of storage space and parking space . Professional and mature neighbors ensure peaceful living arrangements. Freshly painted.The rent is $650 per month including utilities and security deposit of 500 which is refundable at the end of your stay...I will like you to drive by to the building today to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located and get back to me so that I can forward you the full interior pictures for you to have an idea on how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step which is the application process..

Thanks for taking your time in writing me and hope to hear back from you.

Many thanks
#162986 by Jillian Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 pm
Welcome, ShaneHalcon! We're glad to hear that the information posted here helped you and you recognized the scam before losing any money. Thanks for adding to the info on this topic to help others. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#163033 by Michelle Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:44 am
On Apr 14, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Robert Perusse <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi again,
I'm very sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Find the attachment of the lease agreement form for you to preview before the final print out and signature, do note that the parcel that will be mailed to you will contain the keys, payment receipt, signed lease agreement form and all every other necessary papers you needed to move into my apartment as soon as possible, so i will be glad if you could confirm the provided address below if that is the correct address where the keys and the documents are to be delivered to. I and my family had approved you as our new tenant because we can see your willingness in our apartment, and be noted, the money is not really the issue but need a very clean/tidy tenant who can take very good care of our apartment, am saying this because the last time I traveled and rented my apartment to some one, the person destroyed some of my property and it cost me a lot of money to replace those property and i wouldn't want that to repeat again. I want you to know that the keys, payment receipt with all documents will be delivered to you by DHL EXPRESS (SECOND DAY DELIVERY) COURIER SERVICE while your (first & last month rent of $1300) has to be paid before the shipment of the keys and documents, the payment should be made through MONEYGRAM to the below information, and i want you to promise me that the apartment will be well taking care of, once you move in and make sure you are update me with the pictures once you move in.

The necessary arrangement has been made, so below is where the keys and documents will be deliver to.

1)Receiver"s Name: Michelle Banks
2)Receiver"s Address: 419 Rue De La Remarks
3)Receiver"s Email :
4)Receiver"s contact:

As soon as the payment is made and confirmed i will send the below package's to you through DHL COURIER EXPRESS delivery service package.

1)Entrance and the room Keys.
2)Move in Papers/ approved form.
3)The apartment documentary file.
4)Payment Receipt.
5)Signed Lease Agreement Hard Copy

So you will go to any MONEYGRAM outlet/office near to you and send the payment to the INFO BELOW.

Receivers Name: Mr. Robert P. Hakes
Receivers Address: 3 Demesne Road,
City: Manchester
Zip-Code: M16 8HG
Province: England
Phone #: +447864207787

As soon as you get the payment sent, the below information will be giving to you and it will also appear on the receipt that will be issued to you at MoneyGram outlet/office, which you will have to get back to me with it.

Senders Name:
Senders Address:
MTCN(Control number) #:
Amount sent:

Hope to read from you as soon as you make the payment so that the keys can be posted out immediately and you can get it as soon as possible and then you can move into the apartment at any of your convenience time.

Your swift response will be appreciated.

Robert P. Hakes

<[email protected]> wrote:

Hello
How are you doing? I have the parcel ready for shipment today via DHL Express delivery, but i just had a message from my lawyer, he told me you will have to make an additional payment of the refundable deposit in advance before i post the keys to the provided address because it is compulsory for tenant to make first and last month rents + refundable deposit in Canada before his/her move in and as a matter of fact, you will have to make it by today or by tomorrow latest, he gave me further explanations which included...

1...Dishonest tenant,this is just because of our past tenant,when they are looking to rent a place,they do everything right to please the Landlord but they finds it very hard to pay there rent when due and at the appropriate time and this is really causing a great set back to us landlord, i hope you understand my point,

2....He explained that he preferred to issue you the receipt of payment once,so he said once you have made first and last months rent now,he will write them in just a receipt,you might be wondering why my lawyer had to make decisions for me,but it is not, as he has been my lawyer for about 22 years and not my lawyer alone,my family lawyer and my father's friend,so he is a well respected fellow,and i think he wants the best for me and i hope you understand my point,so the payment you will be transferring now is the refundable deposit of 500, you can send the payment the same way the first and last month rent payment was sent, thanks while i wait for your response and the payment details so that i can post you the keys today after confirming the payment and the receipt as well, sorry for the inconveniences this might have caused you, My lawyer will also issue some documents, which will be sent along with the keys, signed lease agreement hard copy and payment receipt of refundable deposit + 2 months rent. the documents will identify you as the new tenant of my apartment.

Do get back to me as soon as possible because i am looking forward to send the package out today and you can move in to the apartment asap.
Thanks while i wait for the details.

Regards

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

#166774 by toronto2013 Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm
The information this scum gave me for the 140 Simcoe Street, Toronto, ON M5H 4E9, Canada:

Receivers Name: Mr. Robert P. Campbell
Receivers Address: 3 Demesne Road,
City: Manchester
Zip-Code: M16 8HG
Province: England
Phone #: +447864207787

Thank you everyone for posting, I was almost his victim.
#166859 by TerranceBoyce Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 am
Posting details of scams has two benefits - it enables other potential victims to Google details and avoid being scammed and, even if the details are fake, it can potentially lead to the scammer being identified. In this case it's possible that this scammer has been identified.

Once it's confirmed beyond doubt, if the scammer is in a jurisdiction where law enforcement is effective, details will be passed to them, if not, then he'll have his details posted up and his scamming activities will be severely curtailed in various ways.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle