Information on romance scams and scammers.
#169640 by NosMD Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 pm
Whoa..

Pretty good scam on the unsuspecting, so beware. I put a personal ad on Craigslist (not expecting much) and this girl sends me her pic with some nice words. A few emails later, she says she has to go to Nigeria for a couple weeks. I had already invited her out to dinner, etc.., but there always seemed to be a legit and harmless excuse as to why she couldn't. So she emails me (supposedly just now being in Nigeria - damn Google Mail for not letting me track headers), and she says she's going to court to get some money from a deceased uncle. HUGE red flags everywhere now. Sure enough, a few days later, she's having some hotel problems and needs me to send her $250 to help get her out of a jam. ROTFLMMFAO Uh huh.. riiiiiiiiiiiight. So I'm playing along acting stupid and asking for her full legal name, her address/phone # in the states (including cell #), the name/address/phone# and her room # at the Lagos, Nigeria hotel (where "she" is supposedly staying), and then "her" passport #.

She's like, "all you need is my name and the state/country/zip to Western Union me the money". I told "her" the Snowden ordeal has put the country on high alert, so extra security measures are needed for any money transfers overseas. I think I'm gonna tell her that I'm very scared for her and need to send her $5,000 immediately, but all I need is the info I requested. Let's see what happens when the roles are reversed, shall we.. lol
Advertisement

#169642 by NosMD Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:01 pm
BTW.. probably not good to play with these folks if you don't have a gmail account (or an email account that hides your IP in the headers). Just a heads up. Be safe!
#169645 by Bryon Williams Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:06 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners NosMD,

We expose scammers here with their pictures, scripts and emails. We also assist members in identifying scams.

Could you please post the email address, scripts and pictures to help others.

Also, if you are interested in wasting scammers time and how to learn to bait safely go to our sister site 419eater.com . It appears that you are not baiting safely and scammer has some of your personal information.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#169648 by NosMD Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:44 pm
^^^^^^^
Hey Bryon,

Here's the info on this "gal":

Name : Alyssa Lahra John

State : Lagos

Zip code : 23401

That was the info she gave for the Western Union request. She emailed me initially with this:

Lahra John < [email protected] >

Her initial email is here:

Good Morning dear,

How are you doing today? Hope your fine? I found your ad interesting
and wanted to say Hi. Well, i'm looking for a relationship and Can you
tell me what you're looking for in your ideal woman and what your
plans are for a better future? What are you looking for achieve in 5
years from now.

Well i do live here in *********** (she gave my city and state), just make sure you reply me back so
that we can see what the future can bring for the both of us

Lahra.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replied, and then her next email was:

Hello ,

Thanks for the email and it was nice hearing from you, i am surprise you got me back.. and i would really like to get to know you better ,but i don't always get on line to chat and am not so good at phone cos as the first time i just don't know what to say, but i always update my private Google mail account,well we both know a little from our profile so i think we can go this way and see what we have in common ....I believe getting to know someone 1st.. That friendships are built. They are built from a strong foundation 1st, and then they continue to grow from there. Yes, it takes Times, there is give, and take involved. I believe in open communication, standing in our truth, being honest, and having integrity. Honoring and respecting each other is high on my list. I treat people the way I like to be treated. I believe what comes around goes around. I am a very compassionate person. I am in no rush, I think it's very important to take the time to get to know someone. That is what builds true friendships. Quality friendships,let me know what you think.I will try in writing you more about me and i will be looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Am looking for a man that will be able to listen to me , communicate his feelings to me , make me laugh, hold and comfort me in need,stand by my side, respect me, passionate lover in every way, support me in every way, love me and only me, make me smile, protect me when needed, romantic time to time ,constantly reactive, and treat me right, I know you will think what is a pretty lady like me doing on here .. Yes the
reason I came on to the internet to find the special person who deserves all the love and passion that makes up my heart and soul is because I do not have the time to meet others out in a public setting, and the fact I feel you can learn so much about someone through letters, as a person has to take there time and think about the words they want to express, so it allows you to gain a better understanding of someone than you would probably otherwise.

As far as i dislikes.I don't like fake people, I don't like man that are all into money and not Kind to caring(sure money is important but there are other things more important). I like a man that is comfortable and confident in his own Word of kind,Caring lIfe.

I hope this message finds you well and hope you can share some photos in telling me more about yourself,ask me anything i always have a hard time knowing what to tell about myself.

Sincerely,
Lahra

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looked pretty sincere to me. Incredible, huh?

Here's the first email that sent up the red flags:

hi hope you are fine over there,i just want to let you know that i will be traveling to west africa in nigeria.so i want you to be aware of it.i will be traveling tomorrow.i will text u wen am there.luv u,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At that point, I knew something was way rotten in Denmark (apologies to anyone who happens to be from Denmark - lol). Here's the next email:

There is some thing i want us to talk about, i know that is very difficult to get some one that is honest and sincere, but for the fact that you have made me forget my past and makes me happy in life again, this issue i am telling you is some thing i will not like you to review to any body, no body knows my were about, i am telling you this due to the trust i have seen in you, i feel your honest and understanding person, when my parents were alive they never hide anything from me as the only child, after the death of my parent i was able to get my late father's Statement of Account were he Deposited his money, my uncle later got to know about it, that was his reason he was threatening me so that he could be able to claim the money. It contains 5.8 million british pounds and as the only child i am the next of kin, i am giving you all this information due to the trust I have deposed on you. that is why i left ,and i want to let you know that am going to come back next month,dont worry at all i will always be online so that we can chart togther,loving you and missing you
from lahra.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No request for anything yet.. just the bait. Whoever this is is patient and methodical.

My reply (lol)

That's great. You'll be able to get a few extras for around the house. I hope your trip goes smoothly.

Take care,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we get to the $ request itself. (after about 5 or 6 more "harmless, romantic" emails)

Honey am safe, just having a problem with the Hotel manager here and i will be going the Court tomorrow morning Monday and am having a financial problem with me here. i wound't mind if you can help me out with a little money.. am in need of $250 here with me.. i want to pay this for my Hotel bill $150 and for cabbing down to Court $50 and am having just $20 left in my wallet here baby.. sweetheart how much can you come up for me with this.. and am in need of this first thing tomorrow morning... baby i don't want this plan to change if you can lend me this i will be very grateful hun...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, from the get-go, "she" only has my first name. At most, a gal will get my first and last name, my throw-away email addy, and a google voice # until I've met her in person. This person only has my first name and throw-away addy, nothing else. I always use gmail, so good luck on anyone trying to track header IPs. (Unfortunately, this person is using Gmail, as well).

I'll check out that site you referenced for safe playing with these morons, but just out of curiosity, what do you think I gave away that I shouldn't have?
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation for clarity. Removed quote from above post.