Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#139620 by crsntn Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:27 am
I recently listed an item on Craigslist and received an inquiry about the item. I felt sure this was a scam so thought I would post it here.I did write them back and told them I did not have an Paypal account nor did I want one. (I do have a Paypal account)

----- Forwarded Message -----
To
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: Martha Stewart 8 piece dining group - $1600
Thanks for the mail...I will appreciate more pictures..I am ready to buy it now for my son as a surprise promise gift,And due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location?
4) What is your best price?
5) Your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address For Me To Proceed With The Payment?

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email For Me To Proceed With The Payment. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your Registered PayPal Name and Registered PayPal Email Address and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!

Thanks and God bless!!!
Advertisement

#173437 by Tanuki1100 Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 am
This is a pretty standard scammers script,a simply copy and paste job which never contains any mention to the specific item, just simply refers to it as
the gift
As for the
Thanks and God bless!!!
that;s their way of trying to convince you they are genuine an pleasant, not at all like someone you should be weary of.
#173844 by Clunky Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 pm
How does this scam work? Giving out your paypal information is necessary to get paid, and having some sort of location at which to pick up the item is necessary as well. The email does seem sketchy, but what does the scammer get out of it?
#173852 by Mike Wilson Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:53 am
Hello Clunky,

The scammer will send a spoofed email that will look like it originated from PayPal claiming the money is in your account. They will also claim that the shipping fee is included in the payment and request that the shipping fee be sent via Western Union to some individual.
As you know PayPal does not work in this manner.

sample email

Address Status: Confirmed
This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited into your account until the MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number), sender's name and address used to make the transfer is sent to us for verification.The number is to be sent to [email protected]

Until you send a sum of $450.00USD to the address above via Western Union Money Transfer and get back to us with the relevant information which you will be provided with after the money has been sent, you are requested to email us the MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number), sender's name and address used to make the transfer.As soon as we have received these information from you, we will credit a sum of $3,750.00USD to your PayPal account.Above is the address where the money is to be sent to using Western Union Money Transfer. Make sure it is sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary Information requested before your account will be credited. Send MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number),sender's name and address used to make the transfer to us or email us through this mail: [email protected] and our Customer Care Service will attend to you. As soon as you send us the MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number) to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller, the money will be credited to your account. .

***PLEASE NOTE***
Once MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number) has been verified and the MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number) has been sent to us,
You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited to your PayPal® account.

Please reply to this email with any questions you may have concerning this reversal.
Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

United States
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PAYMENT WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE "PENDING" TAB IN YOUR ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU SEND THE MTCN(Money Transfer Control Number), SENDER'S NAME AND ADDRESS USED TO MAKE THE TRANSFER TO US.
This is due to new policies at PayPal to protect both the buyer and the seller in the face of the growing number of fraudulent activities perpetrated via the internet. Your payment is intact. You are encouraged to complete this transaction.

Get Verified – Your Key to More Security and Free Features
Get Verified and help increase the security of your PayPal transactions for yourself and for everyone with whom you do business. You can also:

Fund purchases directly from your checking or savings account, in addition to using credit cards
Improve your reputation by letting others know you're a confirmed, Verified member of the PayPal community
Send money to friends, family, and PayPal Personal Account holders

Get Verified!

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Your monthly account statement is available anytime; just log in to your account at https://www. paypal.com/us/ HISTORY. To correct any errors, please contact us through our Help Center at https://www. paypal.com/us/HELP .

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here .

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon