Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#175107 by Carlos Weiner Danger Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 am
I'm selling a car and have received 2 messages from this guy. Here is his phone number: 1-347-946-1382

Hello, Thanks for your prompt e-mail, it was just exactly what i wanted and can you assure me that i will not be disappointed buying this from you. I am really interested in purchasing your ad. Am a merchant marine and am offshore right now, I will appreciate if you can email me with more picture of it as i won't be able to see this in person. I would like you to answer this question about the item; 1. Are there any other issues with the item not mentioned on Craigslist? I will be glad if you can tell other interested buyers that the item has been sold. I'm offering the exact price listed so please kindly withdraw the ad from Craigslist. I will be paying via PayPal. I can only pay through pay pal at the moment as i do not have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my pay pal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. If this is acceptable, advice soon and if you don't have an account, you can easily create an account fast and easy at www.paypal.com. I will need you to provide the following information to facilitate the Payment 1.Your PayPal Email Address. 2.Your address for pick up. I will be responsible for moving, I will have my mover who handle my shipping from anywhere in the world come over for the pickup after i have made the payment. Thank you for your time
Advertisement

#175144 by Scott Mitchell Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:02 pm
Carlos, thanks for posting. The number given by the scammer is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) number. Scammers use these numbers to hide their true location. The writing style of the message indicates West African origin. Do you still have the email address the scammer is using? Posting it here will make it searchable for others who might get the same email.
#227784 by ch3ck3r Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:58 pm
SUMMARY:
3 scams inclusive emails
[email protected] (already down)
[email protected] (still active after 4!! abuse notifications, shame on google)
[email protected] (still active after 3!! abuse notifications, shame on google)

CONTENT:
I received the following 3 scams:

Thanks for your response.I'm satisfied with the condition of the merchandise and Agree with the price,I need to let you know that my shipping agent will be coming for the pick up as soon as the payment has been complete and approved by PayPal and the shipping agent will be the ones to help me handle all other necessary details to complete the deal when they get to your home address for the pick up.i'll arrange the pick-up of the merchandise with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get your payment and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com, I need you to provide the following details so that i can proceed with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your Full Name:
Your Mobile Number :
Total Cost of it:

Soon as i make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier Service will come and pick up the merchandise at your home at your convenient time also the courier will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day.

------

Hi, Thanks for the email, I am really interested in the car and I wish I could come and inspect and testdrive it but currently I am working away from Austria . I am a Marine Engineer aboard a ship in the Germany. so I will be buying the car without seeing it, I hope it is as you described in the Advert, Due to the distance as me being in Germany presently, I will arrange the pick-up of the car with a Private Courier Service and I will be making the payment through PayPal, I need you to provide the following details so that I can proceed with the Payment...send me some pictures of the car too

Full name :
PayPal Email Address :
Your Mobile Number :
Total Cost:

The Courier Agents will contact you for more information as soon as i pay the funds into your account and also the Agents will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day

P.S price is fine with me

Cheers

-----------

They send a text message first from an anonymous account ("Ann" or "raquelroney") asking to reply to their email addresses. In the case of anntucker002 she called me on my mobile with an anonymous number and it turned out that she is a male introducing him as Ann :)! He is the husband of Ann and it is a surprise.
I requested an ID-Document from him and he really sent a faked passport image (new name "Christopher Tucker" was written with paintbrush, so really badly faked!!)

I reported both email addresses as abuse ([email protected] and to the google abuse tool https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse)
[email protected] is already down - very good support from outlook.com, they have done it within 24h!!

unfortunately google is still supporting those email adresses. how does this fit to "do no harm" - i would say big fail!!

----
update: another email: [email protected]
with the following content:
-------------------------------
Thanks for your response.I'm satisfied with the condition of the merchandise and Agree with the price,I need to let you know that my shipping agent will be coming for the pick up as soon as the payment has been complete and approved by PayPal and the shipping agent will be the ones to help me handle all other necessary details to complete the deal when they get to your home address for the pick up.i'll arrange the pick-up of the merchandise with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get your payment and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com, I need you to provide the following details so that i can proceed with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your Full Name:
Your Mobile Number :
Total Cost of it:

Soon as i make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier Service will come and pick up the merchandise at your home at your convenient time also the courier will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day.
-----------
#227790 by Bryon Williams Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:23 pm
Welcome to Scamwaners ch3ck3r,

Thank you for your post and warning to others.

I would like to ask you to not report the email address scammers are using. These scammers will keep using the same email address over and over. When potential victims are approached hopefully they will do a search on the email address. Hopefully, a warning like yours will be on an Anti-Scam site.

When the email provider shuts down the scammers email address he will take less than 5 minutes out of his life and open a new one. Once he’s done that, your warning and any other warnings posted will not help anyone until a new victim reports it.

Please post the emails, phone numbers and emails sent to you here. This will be much more helpful to others.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/