Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#175911 by nagatamen Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:46 am
Beware of a company claiming to be associated with Microsoft Windows who will check your computer for viruses and other fraudulent scammers who have infiltrated your system. Their company name is BIP Sosftware. Their agents all seem to be East Indians so they are very difficult to understand.
They will have you download a program which allows them to access your computer. Once inside I suspect they load a page which shows massive amounts of corrupt files that are supposedly on your computer and they offer to remove them for a modest fee of $300.00 and install anti-hacker software on your system. Should you decline to accept their service you will be notified that they have installed a password on your system so that once you shut your system down you will no longer be able to get on it again. Essentially they are holding your system for ransom and will not release it until you agree to purchase their product.
Advertisement

#176276 by Robert Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:27 am
I've gotten those phone calls, though not necessarily identified with that company. Often they'll say they're with the "Windows Dept." and say they've already detected a problem with your software.

Once in a while I'll get a phone solicit'n from what may be a legit computer consulting biz nearby offering to come in to perform related services. They may or may not be legitimate, but any claim to have already detected (thru the Internet) a problem that you have reveals them to be crooks.