Information on romance scams and scammers.
#88029 by hikergirlwny Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am
So this was the "Major's" reply this morning.

Honey I have to tell you this, aside your parents, you have to keep this confidential between us. I know you want to do this and that is why you told your brother-in-law but in the Army, when it comes to traveling for Leave and all that, it has to be confidential because of the security level. That is the rule, doesn`t matter whoever it is. But aside family, that is it, please understand. Now about what he said, I am a re-deployed Major re-deployed from Iraq to Afghanistan. I can fill the DA form here, and like I said I will need your First and Last name, SSN, Your home address,zip code, nearest airport to you and phone number. Then finally, you will write me an e-mail with a subject of "Request For A Temporary Leave for Maj M. Mason" and in the content, write about yourself, the people you live with, any criminal record and whatever you will like them to know about you. This is the mail I will attach to the Form I will fill here. And then I will try to know how much it will cost and I will keep you updated okay.

You will send me a package? Wow that is cool but it will have to go through the Rep. in Louisiana, same woman you will send the money, it will cost me to get home,to. What would you like to send me babe? Tell me.

We have different commanding officers considering that I am re-deployed here and not originally deployed. I am sure you will find this very confusing but that is how it is, you dont understand the military, you always will find it difficult to understand how it works lol. But I assure you I will do my best here also, you have to do your own best raising the funds and sending me that e-mail ASAP. And like I said, aside dad and mom, this is a confidential issue.

I told him to go take a long walk off a short pier. The fact I don't understand the military really made me giggle. Hope this helps someone.
Advertisement

#88601 by togoodtobetrue Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:40 am
I am so glad I had the common sence to check this out before sending money. The below is exactly what happened to me too. From Senior people meet dating site too. Being nice and caring gets one in trouble for sure. Be aware...be very aware. When asked for $7400 for transit fee I was. "HUH??" and went online and did some checking and found the below. I also checked the supposed flight and no listing of his name. Unbelievable.
I, apparently, have fallen victim to the same scam. First, it was to send $450 to a satellite company for a phone system so that we could talk and "hear each other's voices" (Military Satellite Service [email protected]) and then, since he just couldn't "wait to meet me" and needed so desperately to be out of Iraq, he asked me to email his general for request for leave ([email protected]---the general is real, but I highly doubt the address is). When I was asked to send $2150 to cover the traveling costs of my "soldier man" (which would be "returned" to me once it was confirmed he was safely in the US), I'd had enough. I played along for a month, kept checking into everything he said and everything seemed to check out well enough (there is a TS2 Military phone service, there really is a General Raymond Odierno, even looked up the various places he said he'd been posted), but there was nothing specificly right or wrong with what he told me. I've been checking every scam website I can find and haven't found him on any of them (name or picture), so I held out hope that he was for real. But, when he got mad and felt "shattered" that I let him down because I couldn't pay the traveling fee for him to come to the states, I knew for sure that it was truly money he was after and I'd been duped.

If anyone has any more information on Staff Sergeant Michael D. Wells MOS: M19kM1A1Tanker, Baghdad, Iraq [email protected], please let me know. He claims to be 47, white male, widowed with 5 year old daughter, from Colorado Springs, mother in nursing home, father passed away, middle child in family. I would greatly appreciate any help with this! Thank you in advance for your help!!
#88682 by Bubbles Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:54 am
Welcome to ScamWarners hikergirlwny and togoodtobetrue.

togoodtobetrue, I am sorry to hear you were scammed. The soldier's photos are real. The name is real. The story the scammer is telling you is total fabrication. Scammers make up stories which will draw you into their scam and hook you to giving them money. I am sorry you lost money to the scammer.

The best course of action when you realize you are dealing with a scammer is to just drop contact with them. Nothing good will come from staying in contact. They are liars and only want money. Nothing they tell you is true, it is all designed to try to trick you into giving them money.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#176405 by jmccoy75 Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:40 pm
Iwas almost a victim to this scam but his name was Sgt.Chris Rokey he found me on the dating web site tagged he messaged a few times then asked for an add on Yahoo messenger we spoke often he quickly professes his love then says how great it would be to hear my voice that is when he has u request a call down you have to email at [email protected] they then send a crazy reply and want u to western union cash depending on what tariff you chose 2 months for 300.00...ladies beware....
#176406 by Bryon Williams Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:58 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners jmccoy75,

I am happy to hear that you knew he was attempting to scam you. As you know, no one has to pay for a soldiers phone or leave privileges. Anything a soldier needs while deployed is provided to them. Their families and children are also cared for while they are deployed. While deployed real soldiers do not have the time to sign up on dating sites and chat with strangers.

What was the email address he used with yahoo messenger?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#186796 by gagesmom314 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:58 pm
A friend was almost a victim of this scam as well. His was a Davis Richman who he friended on Facebook. Same satellite phone scam and then the leave scam even went as far as proposing to him. There are pictures but I don't 100% know how to post them here. I only got involved when my friend didn't feel everything was on the up and up. A few things that tipped us off: His Facebook profile didn't allow you to see who his other friends were or write on his wall. The last name on the uniform was Davis not the Richman as it would be if they were truly the right pictures. He was VERY upset when my friend brought me into the situation. He had three other people on his Facebook commenting on his pictures that all acted like they were in a relationship with him (I did message each of these people to let them know). He told me on Friday he was in Afghanistan and then told someone else on his pictures that he was in Syria on Monday.

The final for us was when he gave my friend an email address and he Google searched it and it led us here. When you Google Davis Richman and Texas or anything else that he told us you get nothing.
#204275 by krystal1212 Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:48 am
Hey all

I post this once on the romance scam thread. going to post one more here
this guy on okcupid by the nickname of clapsge he call himself garry clapsaddle
said that he from the army on deployment start asking for money and stuff

i have photos of the poor guy who the scammer use and even this guy's kids are in the photo
should i even post this guy photo here (who the scammer use)?
#204277 by Bryon Williams Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:52 am
^^^You can go back to your original post and post the pictures.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#213228 by Gala999 Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 pm
I am so glad I had the common sence to check this out before sending money. The below is exactly what happened to me too. From Senior people meet dating site too. Being nice and caring gets one in trouble for sure. Be aware...be very aware. When asked for $7400 for transit fee I was. "HUH??" and went online and did some checking and found the below. I also checked the supposed flight and no listing of his name. Unbelievable.
I, apparently, have fallen victim to the same scam. First, it was to send $450 to a satellite company for a phone system so that we could talk and "hear each other's voices" (Military Satellite Service [email protected]) and then, since he just couldn't "wait to meet me" and needed so desperately to be out of Iraq, he asked me to email his general for request for leave ([email protected]---the general is real, but I highly doubt the address is). When I was asked to send $2150 to cover the traveling costs of my "soldier man" (which would be "returned" to me once it was confirmed he was safely in the US), I'd had enough. I played along for a month, kept checking
---------------------------///-----
Thanks for sharing. Yours is really greedy.
Mine asked 330 for communication service and 1830 for a flight fee and 1500 for the
replacement soldier fee. I did play along for a while but refused to send any money to anybody.
It was yesterday actually.
Last edited by Bubbles on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed errant quote coding.
#213248 by ANZAC Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:53 am
I have been a soldier in the Australian army for 22 years.
This carry on is an absolute insult to service men and women everywhere,alive and past.
#213895 by Bubbles Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:15 am
It is truly disgusting ANZAC, I hope you will join us in fighting this scourge.

#218105 by nickistory2014 Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:33 pm
I get the same thing sometimes. That the guy want me but it turns out that he never did.I truly want a real man not a player or a beater or a user :laugh-s:
#218138 by Bubbles Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:50 am
Welcome to ScamWarners nickistory2014, I hope you will take some time and learn about Romance scams and help us expose these disgusting criminals.

It sounds like you have a good eye for the ingenuine (yes, that is not a word).
Last edited by Bubbles on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Comment added.

#221685 by RexanaCC7 Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:10 pm
I was also scammed years ago but I learned a lot from it. Don't trust anyone you met online. Most of them are scammers who would take advantage of you. Be cautious. :bowdown:
#226428 by heyteach6 Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 pm
I think you and I had a conversation with the same scammer. Mine called himself (Cornelius) John Banzhaf. He sent several pictures, he is on a peace keeping mission in Sudan and are not allowed to use the phone. I would have to write an email to [email protected] requesting to get a secure line so that we can communicate often. The tip off is the wording that they use, it just doesn't sound right. They like to call you pet names like "babe", "honey" and they seem to be available at all hours. Men in the military have work to do and don't have time to chat as much if at all. Here is how I figured it out:
1. Checked phone number and area code 832 seems to be a common one used in the US (and yes it is always Houston)
2. Searched his name-no one of that name found.
3. Asked if he had an accent because of the wording he used and he said yes.
4. Asked what languages he spoke other than English-none, so where did the accent come from?
5. I said I wished I could hear his voice and he was quick to reply that he would check and had heard there was a way.
6. I looked up "Secure line" because he requested one, and asked if it cost money and he said "a token". OK...but I knew that military could call for free in most places or use a calling card. "Token"-who uses that term?
7. Then came the line.. "I'm on a peace keeping mission in..." ya, right!
8. I also was suspicious because I thought, why would he be able to text, but not call on a US number?
9. I toyed with him for awhile, then I got bored and told him the jig was up! I'm sure he didn't care, only that he didn't get any money out of me.

Moral of these stories...IF YOU SUSPECT SOMETHING...YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT! :x