Room for Rent and other rental scams
#181676 by silviomatassa Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 pm
I received these emails after answering an ad on immoweb.be, a belgian website of real estates ads.
The first email seemed a bit weird but I still answered. The second looked even more strange, and only by copy-pasting few sentences on Google I found exactly the same email in this and other scam warning forums. So, if you by any chance got or will get something similar, just report it so that everyone will have more chance to avoid this obvious yet well done fraud.
Here are the two emails:

Bonjour,

Désolé je ne parle pas très bien français ou en néerlandais, donc je préfère parler en anglais
Sorry for my late reply i just come back from my Holiday.
Thanks for your interest .
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, i am from United Kingdom , London so i decided to rent it. Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, such as how many persons you intend to have staying in the apartment and for how long also if you can send me a picture it will be nice . I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. I can rent out the flat for unlimited time ( 1 to 5 years maybe more ) . I can also rent it for short periods (2-3 months minimum). The rent for 1 month is EUR 400 including all utilities . You may use my furniture, or you can use your own , it's the same thing for me . I have the option of sending all my furniture to storage, if you want to bring your own (no extra cost). You can move in to the apartment on the same day that you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but i have a solution for that if you are still interested .

Thank you for your interest and I look forward to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Ms Zurie Lapierre
60 High Street
London , N14 6BS
United Kingdom

Hello ,

Thanks for your reply, but the problem is that I am already in United Kingdom. As I informed you, the price you will have to pay the first month rent of 400 + 400 Euro deposit (800 Euro), with no additional fees . I need from you one month rent plus deposit. I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. I trust that there is no problem for you to send money to my bank account . The apartment is ready , you just need to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you can accept it. Of course we will need some way to go through this agreement, to allow us ensure that we get what we are expecting. For in it, I have discovered how we could finish the deal securely and quickly, and in this way, you will receive the keys in less than 2 days, if you move quickly as well. A rental third party service called EasyHomeGate, offers this solution and will handle both payment and delivery of the keys.In this way, you may see it and decide if you want to live in the apartment or not, before I receive any payment. To start this transaction, I need your full name, address, city, postcode and country . I will also have to know the rental period and the day you want to move in, so I can put it in the contract. I will pay for the services performed by the agency, so there will not be any additional cost to you. In addition, if you have another apartment right now, and you cannot move out immediately, we can come to an agreement as I have explained here, and consider it only an inspection and reservation.I will wait your quick response, because there are other people waiting for my answer too, so i need to know if I can count on a deal with you . Thank You

Ms Zurie Lapierre
60 High Street
London , N14 6BS
United Kingdom
Advertisement

#181683 by silviomatassa Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm
Also, I was wandering if having sent a picture of me, along with my name and address when I replied the first email, it may cause me any trouble. Do you have any experience on this?

Thanks. :?
#181686 by Con Warner Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:13 pm
Thanks for posting further details silviomatassa.

Some rental scammers do assume the names of previous victims, especially if they have a picture to help them back up their story.

IF he uses your details (it is quite rare), then it would normally be for a short while until he changes persona again. You will not be implicated in the scam and the info you gave him has no financial value.

I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
#181968 by GrnVnk Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 pm
I can personally back up this story. Also, the person behind the emails sent me a, probably fake or stolen, passport scan. Is there anything I can do with this? Can I show the emails to the police or is there nothing at all I can do?

Also, when I answered the second email, I got a bit suspicious, I got a third email:

"Hi,

The reason i use EasyHomeGate is because i have nobody there that could show you the apartment.
I have proposed real, palpable third party too use with this transaction, they explain how the transaction work on the page i sent you, EasyHomeGate came up with this service specially to prevent unpleasant situations, so, you see, i want safety on this as much as you do even more because I have an apartment to rent, not a kids toy if i may say so.
You will send the money to EasyHomeGate not to me and the company will put your money on hold until you see the apartment and then after you decide to move in the apartment EasyHomeGate will release the money to me.
In case you wont like the apartment EasyHomeGate will bring me back the keys and you will be refunded within 24 hours.
We both must be protected.

I ensure you of all the security and I guarantee you that you will enjoy a great stay in my apartment:)

Best Regards,"
#183312 by suzy_david Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:30 pm
Like immoweb have a house with my wife on the site. ads texted to the e-mail address. If money is deposited in the bank account Easyhomegat for two days said they would send the keys. Mail sent lease agreement and sent it back to my wife fill email address. We put the money in the account. After 4 hours easyhomegat website has disappeared and my wife was suspected immediately go to the bank withdrew the money. We were very lucky that they were able to get our money back from the bank taking. easyhomegat fake from the real estate company I am writing in order to decipher lest one is made??.

Bonjour,

Désolé je ne parle pas très bien français ou en néerlandais, donc je préfère parler en anglais
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, i am from United Kingdom , London so i decided to rent it. Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, such as how many persons you intend to have staying in the apartment and for how long also if you can send me a picture it will be nice . I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. I can rent out the flat for unlimited time ( 1 to 5 years maybe more ) . I can also rent it for short periods (2-3 months minimum). The rent for 1 month is EUR 430 including all utilities . You may use my furniture, or you can use your own , it's the same thing for me . I have the option of sending all my furniture to storage, if you want to bring your own (no extra cost). You can move in to the apartment on the same day that you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but i have a solution for that if you are still interested .

Mr Christian Cliche
127, Walnut Road, Leyton,
London, E10 5TQ

Hello ,

Thanks for your reply, but the problem is that I am already in United Kingdom. As I informed you, the price you will have to pay the first month rent of 430 + 430 EUR deposit (860 EUR), with no additional fees . I need from you one month rent plus deposit. I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. I trust that there is no problem for you to send money to my bank account . The apartment is ready , you just need to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you can accept it. Of course we will need some way to go through this agreement, to allow us ensure that we get what we are expecting. For in it, I have discovered how we could finish the deal securely and quickly, and in this way, you will receive the keys in less than 2 days, if you move quickly as well. A rental third party service called EasyHomeGate, offers this solution and will handle both payment and delivery of the keys.In this way, you may see it and decide if you want to live in the apartment or not, before I receive any payment. To start this transaction, I need your full name, address, city, postcode and country . I will also have to know the rental period and the day you want to move in, so I can put it in the contract. I will pay for the services performed by the agency, so there will not be any additional cost to you. In addition, if you have another apartment right now, and you cannot move out immediately, we can come to an agreement as I have explained here, and consider it only an inspection and reservation.I will wait your quick response, because there are other people waiting for my answer too, so i need to know if I can count on a deal with you . Thank You

Mr Christian Cliche
London, E10 5TQ
United Kingdom

Hi,

I have sent the keys just earlier and now I received an invoice from EasyHomeGate saying they have contacted you with the confirmation and instructions to your e-mail. Please confirm you have received the instructions and complete your end.
I have completed my part, please do so with yours, I paid GBP 200 for this transaction and i hope you keep your word :).
Thank you and I am waiting a sign from you.

Best Regards,
#183837 by janhg Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:05 pm
Same here...
I mailed someone called Isaac Rocheleau and asked him for more info on an appartement he has put for rent on immoweb.be. The appartement was in Halle (a flemish village near Brussels).
Email address was [email protected].
This was his reply:

Bonjour,

I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, i am from United Kingdom , London so i decided to rent it. Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, such as how many persons you intend to have staying in the apartment and for how long also if you can send me a picture it will be nice . I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. I can rent out the flat for unlimited time ( 1 to 5 years maybe more ) . I can also rent it for short periods (2-3 months minimum). The rent for 1 month is EUR 450 including all utilities . You may use my furniture, or you can use your own , it's the same thing for me . I have the option of sending all my furniture to storage, if you want to bring your own (no extra cost). You can move in to the apartment on the same day that you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but i have a solution for that if you are still interested .

Mr Isaac Rocheleau
London, E10 5TQ
United Kingdom
#183895 by annablanca Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:53 am
From immoweb as well

After his first mail, and our response We went to look back on immoweb the apartment and the announcement was already gone. [color=#FF0000]We found out that the same appartement is on vlan for rent and the price is 700€.
On our second mail we asked to visit the appartment today but I don't think it will he will answer.
Be carefull he has many announcements on immoweb and the prices are atttractive.[/color]

Subject: RE: Apartment for rent from immoweb.be
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 19:39:32 +0000
Bonjour,

I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, i am from United Kingdom , London so i decided to rent it. Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, such as how many persons you intend to have staying in the apartment and for how long also if you can send me a picture it will be nice . I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. I can rent out the flat for unlimited time ( 1 to 5 years maybe more ) . I can also rent it for short periods (2-3 months minimum). The rent for 1 month is EUR 450 including all utilities . You may use my furniture, or you can use your own , it's the same thing for me . I have the option of sending all my furniture to storage, if you want to bring your own (no extra cost). You can move in to the apartment on the same day that you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but i have a solution for that if you are still interested .

Mr Isaac Rocheleau
London, E10 5TQ
United Kingdom

Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 19:51:49 +0000
I have read your rent announcement on Immoweb.be and I am interested on the apartment.
you announcement was the following:
"Appartement nr. 5, Brandhoutkaai 35 (3e Verd. Links) - 1000 Brussel: hall, WC, living, keuken: kasten, dampkap, badkamer met lavabo, douche, 2 slpks, berging, zolder CONTACT MET MIJ OP [email protected]"

the rent you require for the current apartment is 450 euro
first of all
I would like to see the apartment in person as soon as possible.
I would also like to know if there any further charges for the apartment as for example electricity, gas and/or water and in case they are how much they might be.
I would also like to ask if cats are allowed in the apartment.

please contact with us by answering this mail or by telephone at <Removed - CW>.

Kind regards,
#183907 by steve de pooter Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am
same here , only with another name
now that i now this is scam , i will remove this person
Bonjour,

Mr Isaac Rocheleau
London, E10 5TQ
United Kingdom
#184132 by onesharkongs Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm
I received the same emails after answering an ad on immoweb.be, (a belgian website of real estates ads)
for renting a nice and cheap apartment in Belgium.

Bonjour,

Mr Isaac Rocheleau
London, E10 5TQ
United Kingdom

Hello ,
Thanks for your reply, but the problem is that I am already in United Kingdom. As I informed you, the price you will have to pay the first month rent of 450 + 450 EUR deposit (900 EUR), with no additional fees . I need from you one month rent plus deposit. I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. I trust that there is no problem for you to send money to my bank account . The apartment is ready , you just need to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you can accept it. Of course we will need some way to go through this agreement, to allow us ensure that we get what we are expecting. For in it, I have discovered how we could finish the deal securely and quickly, and in this way, you will receive the keys in less than 2 days, if you move quickly as well. A rental third party service called EasyHomeGate(http://www.easyhomegate.co.uk/), offers this solution and will handle both payment and delivery of the keys.In this way, you may see it and decide if you want to live in the apartment or not, before I receive any payment. To start this transaction, I need your full name, address, city, postcode and country . I will also have to know the rental period and the day you want to move in, so I can put it in the contract. I will pay for the services performed by the agency, so there will not be any additional cost to you. In addition, if you have another apartment right now, and you cannot move out immediately, we can come to an agreement as I have explained here, and consider it only an inspection and reservation.I will wait your quick response, because there are other people waiting for my answer too, so i need to know if I can count on a deal with you . Thank You

Mr Isaac Rocheleau
London, E10 5TQ
United Kingdom

When I ask this questions about :
- Who is Christian Cliche mention on the Lease Agreement ?
- What kind of heating system, Gas or Electricity ?
-What is the EPC (energy-value / kWh/m2 )
-On which floor is the apartment ?

No answer so far.... :laugh-s:

Regards
#219391 by Andre1234 Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:16 am
This is what she (Ms Zurie Lapierre) wrote to me when I replied to a flat in Zurich. I am from London, and her English and the price is obviously a fraud.

-------

Hallo,

Leider weiß ich nicht viel Französisch oder Deutsch, so dass ich lieber in Englisch sprechen.
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, i am from United Kingdom , London so i decided to rent it. Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, such as how many persons you intend to have staying in the apartment and for how long also if you can send me a picture it will be nice . I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. I can rent out the flat for unlimited time ( 1 to 5 years maybe more ) . I can also rent it for short periods (2-3 months minimum). The rent for 1 month is 800 CHF including all utilities . You may use my furniture, or you can use your own , it's the same thing for me . I have the option of sending all my furniture to storage, if you want to bring your own (no extra cost). You can move in to the apartment on the same day that you receive the keys. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but i have a solution for that if you are still interested .

Ms Zurie Lapierre
10 Coran Close,Edmonton
London, N9 8ET
United Kingdom
#219399 by Michelle Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 am
Welcome to Scamwarners

The Scammer will have wanted you to send him money to have keys and documents to be couriered from abroad, or to send money to a family friend to show that you are financially sound and not a time waster. He would have asked you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union or Moneygram).

These transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected.

You may find this BBC news report and video of interest.... it shows how a similar Room for Rent scam works..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/art ... ture.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGAxUqHxsE

For an overview of Rental Scams please follow this link:-

http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12278