Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
Advertisement

#178023 by TerranceBoyce Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 am
Welcome to Scamwarners hamedsafi1.

What did they say in their message to you ?

Just because they offer payment by Paypal doesn't mean they're scamming you, but you can usually tell from what they say in their initial message. The set up usually consists of them preparing you to expect a collection agent because they can't collect the goods themselves.

If you can't tell, you can reply that as a seller you will never make any payment to anyone on his behalf - ever - under any circumstances. That's what scammers want you to do.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#179057 by vonnie24 Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46 pm
so far I have had 3 sms messages from "potential buyers"

email addresses [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
phone no.+64 21 083 66170 & 2 from +61 428 465 117
please beware

ETA (BW)

all three messages sent as below

" Is your caravan still for sale, what is the lowest price and condition of it. Get back to me through my email address [email protected] came from number +64 21 083 66170
from number +61 428 465 117

Hello... is ur listing on trade ad still up for sale, kindly reply to my personal email [email protected]

I am interested in your gumtree ad, how much are you willing to sell it. email me at [email protected] firm price and condition.
#179059 by Bryon Williams Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 am
Welcome to Scamwarners vonnie24,

Please post a couple of their initial text/emails they sent you. Sometimes potential victim may search the internet with the script the scammer used. We also need that to prove they are scammers.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#179060 by vonnie24 Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:29 am
Sms messages received as follows

" Is your caravan still for sale, what is the lowest price and condition of it. Get back to me through my email address [email protected] came from number +64 21 083 66170
from number +61 428 465 117
Hello... is ur listing on trade ad still up for sale, kindly reply to my personal email [email protected]
I am interested in your gumtree ad, how much are you willing to sell it. email me at [email protected] firm price and condition.
#179541 by Samuel1 Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 pm
Hi,

Just adding to the list:

(1) Text message sent via AuraSMS - Dylan A:
I saw this ad on gumtree, Is it still available? what's your firm price? kindly get back to me at dylanaabrey (at) gmail.com.

Email - [email protected]:
Thanks, as for this price it is ok. Due to my demanding and eventful work i won't be able to come and view it, i am interested in the merchandise and it is needed overseas. I will be making use of a transport company to have this picked up from your side and have it delivered. Further arrangements will be made with you in regards to the pick up once i have paid for the merchandise.

I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) since i won't be be able to see this in person, I'd be paying via PayPal or Bank transfer so kindly get back to me with your paypal or bank details for payment, cheers.

(2) Text message sent via no. 0421928158 - Taylor James:
Good Morning. Messaging about your Ad on Gumtre.I will like to know the condition and firm price. Kindly email me on [email protected].

Email - [email protected] :
Thanks a lot.I have actually tried to get this kind of here earlier from here but most of the ones I got either have one huge fault or the other and some have even had accidents in the past while some are extremely exorbitant.As to the price, Price is Ok. So if you deem the offer good enough, I will be very glad to make the payment asap through my PayPal account or bank transfer i do have access to my bank account online as I am currently offshore and I won't definitely be able to make it to my bank to make bank wires across to you. As to shipping, I have a private shipping agent here in China that will come for the pick-up of the merchandise after the payment has been sent and you have received it in full. Do get back to me asap with your PayPal Email address and and Full name for PayPal and so that I can remit the payment asap if you want the payment to be made via bank transfer send me your bank name,Account name,bank account, bsb for the payment.

(3) Text messsage sent via blaster - Ve Blake:
Good Morning Is your musical item still available, whats the present condition and your firm price? reply me direct to my [email protected].
#180462 by globetrotter Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 pm
Adding to the list:

Email - "James Taylor" [email protected]

Thanks a lot.I have actually tried to get this kind of here earlier from here but most of the ones I got either have one huge fault or the other and some have even had accidents in the past while some are extremely exorbitant.As to the price, Price is Ok. So if you deem the offer good enough, I will be very glad to make the payment asap through my PayPal account or bank transfer i do have access to my bank account online as I am currently offshore and I won't definitely be able to make it to my bank to make bank wires across to you. As to shipping, I have a private shipping agent here in China that will come for the pick-up of the merchandise after the payment has been sent and you have received it in full. Do get back to me asap with your PayPal Email address and and Full name for PayPal and so that I can remit the payment asap if you want the payment to be made via bank transfer send me your bank name,Account name,bank account, bsb for the payment.

Email - "Greg Howard" [email protected]

Thanks for the mail....I am very keen. How i wish i could come for viewing and inspection as am currently overseas at the moment and i want it picked up before i get back. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be paying via PayPal which is safer for me or bank transfer as well safe. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at http://www.paypal.com if you dont have one or your bank details for me to make payment. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account. Have a nice day.

Cheers and pls inform other buyers you sold it as am ready to purchase it right away....Greg
#182518 by PiranhaPete Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:42 pm
This scam is still active, although slightly varied. Yesterday 27/11/2013 the SMS came from a Greg Fox. He insisted on using PayPay and claimed to have paid the full amount $24,050 which included $950 for the shipping agent into my PayPal account. Fake PayPal emails were sent which arrived in my spam, he directed me to check my spam for the emails. They contained a PayPal transaction number. The emails explained that upon payment of $950 to the shipping agent in China the $24,050 would be released into my account.
I was very suspicious from the beginning (who pays $23,000 for a caravan without looking at it?). I contacted PayPal checked the transaction number, which they confirmed was a fake. PayPal advised that they never withhold payment of a transaction pending another action. I submitted all of the emails and text message phone number to [email protected]
I suggest that anyone receiving this scam forward all the info to PayPal.
What I found disturbing was that the original SMS from Greg Fox arrived within half an hour of upgrading my ad on Gumtree ($2.99). I had not had an enquiry for a month prior.
It seems also that eBay owns Gumtree as when I checked the $2.99 PayPal transaction the payment was made to eBay. PayPal is also owned by ebay. eBay conspiracy to discredit Gumtree (free) in order to direct sellers to ebay ?
#187785 by Jillian Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:19 am
Welcome thazo. :D

In order to keep the email address listed, we need the entire scam email included. Could you please post it? Let us know if you have any questions.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#188390 by pasta007 Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 am
Hi all, the whole first contact was weird then this. So definitely a scam. Just not going any further with it.

[email protected]

"Many thanks for your response. I am 27 year old non smoker lady coming to Australia. I work as chef on cruise ship at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. Kindly make the arrangement for the total cost covering my first three months rent together with bond from 30th of Jan. I will also like you to get back to me with your full home address for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my little stuffs from USA. I will be waiting to read back from you. Cheers. Katie."
#189427 by marketmaker Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:05 am
Hello.
I am from Bulgaria.
I try to buy something from Gumtree , but many people think i am a scamer.
I prefer to pay via Paypal , bicouse i have guarantee if something it is not OK i will get my money back.
But some seller prefer payment to bank account. But what to do if i pay to sellers bank account and he do not send me stock?
So please let me know what is the safeiest way to pay on sellers from Gumtree?
Thank you.
#189428 by AlanJones Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:11 am
If you send payment by bank transfer and you are no sent the item then you will have no way of getting your money back.

Gumtree is designed for face to face selling, as they state on their site

Always meet in person when doing any business through Gumtree - it helps to avoid scammers who rely on online anonymity

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#189429 by marketmaker Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:00 am
AlanJones wrote:If you send payment by bank transfer and you are no sent the item then you will have no way of getting your money back.

Gumtree is designed for face to face selling, as they state on their site

Always meet in person when doing any business through Gumtree - it helps to avoid scammers who rely on online anonymity

I just sent you two emails.