Check Scams, Debt Collection scams and other financial scams.
#189600 by AlanJones Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 am
Companies House will only tell you that a company exists in that name, it is not a means of proving that the people you are dealing with actually represent that company - the only way of doing that is to physically visit their offices or by getting a telephone number (from a verifiable source such as directory enquiries).

If you are buying a car then the the only way to ensure that the deal is legitimate is to actually view the car. No one should try and buy a car that they can't view due to it being overseas or other similar excuses.

Data protection laws will prevent you as an individual from finding out the details of an account holder, but the authorities will be able to obtain that information if they decide to investigate your case.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
Advertisement

#189606 by kurtos79 Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:39 am
Thanks MR. Jones
What do you think where should i report the case? wich police departement by the account?
Bank Name Sort Code Address
BARCLAYS BANK PLC 202525

Equivalent Codes:
20-25-25
20 25 25 DIRECT BANKING
Leicestershire, LE87 2BB, Phone: (845) 7555555,
Leicester
England
Shell i report it to Leicester police?
#189614 by AlanJones Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:04 am
You will need to report it to your local police force or through ActionFraud, but you mention being referred to Interpol by Barclays in a previous post - are you overseas? If so then it is unlikely the British police will take a report from you.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#189618 by TerranceBoyce Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:33 am
Welcome to Scamwarners kurtos79.

I'm sorry to hear that you are one of the many victims of this scam. It won't help you, but from what I can see it appears that the account you've mentioned is an ING Direct heritage account. In other words, it was originally an ING Direct account that Barclays took over when they took over their UK business. The person could be located anywhere in the UK, or even abroad, and transacts their business over the internet. Leicester is a central processing location for many Barclays branches and accounts.

The chances of getting your money back are very remote and you might want to look at the Legal Beagles Forum where they're working on this issue.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?37879-Ebay-amp-Gumtree-Vehicle-Car-Scam-Barclays-provide-Fraudsters-Accounts/page21

You should report it to Action Fraud using their online form and you should also report it to Barclays Bank by recorded mail. The best you can hope to achieve is to get the account shut down, which is unlikely to get you anything, but it'll hurt the money mule and prevent other victims suffering a loss through the same account.

This fraud is so common that the only solution is for banks to shut these accounts down and blacklist the account holders so that they can't open an account anywhere else, whether they're innocent dupes or not. The banking system has become so lax there isn't any alternative. By formally notifying the bank by recorded mail it leaves the bank no alternative, as subsequent victims would be able pursue the bank for repayment of any losses.

It wasn't very helpful of the bank to advise you to contact Interpol. This is a widespread problem with many criminals using bank accounts to perform fraud. Fundamentally this should not be happening, and I say this as someone who spent his whole working life in a bank. It could reach the stage where a particular bank's account becomes synonymous with fraud, and that would be disastrous. Beyond that, a fraudster's most lucrative target will always be the bank itself.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#192731 by Bankscam Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:23 pm
Here's a new bunch of fraud accounts at Barclays.

Criminals, be fearful! Not.

Account Name: DPS Logis
Bank Name: BARCLAYS BANK PLC
Bank Address: 618 Lea Bridge Road, London, E10 6AS
IBAN: GB55 BARC 2053 0480 2152 60
Swift/Bic: BARCGB22 XXX

Account Name: DPS Logist.
Bank Address: Tottenham, Leicestershire, LE87 2BB
IBAN: GB28 BARC 2053 0440 2326 37

Account Name: PSC Haul (Att: Pasca)
IBAN: GB62 BARC 2029 4110 7088 36

Account Name: PSC Haul
IBAN: GB36 BARC 2092 6383 4155 38
#192831 by David Jansen Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 am
Welcome here Bankscam.

Please post the emails that came from these scammers, without these emails it is not helpfull as people google for names and email addresses.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#192862 by Bankscam Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:29 am
David Jansen wrote:Please post the emails that came from these scammers, without these emails it is not helpfull as people google for names and email addresses.

They change emails every time. Here are the ones I got:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

They also send a passport photo of Benedict Arthur Clement Bowden. This poor guy has probably had his identity stolen.
#192915 by David Jansen Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:25 pm
Please post the email messages, not just the email addresses.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#193021 by dogwithabone Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm
ebay inc. (gumtree) autotrader............. are in breach of section 35 (4) of the fraud act 2006 :

Fraud by abuse of position.

(1)A person is in breach of this section if he— .
(a)occupies a position in which he is expected to safeguard, or not to act against, the financial interests of another person, .
(b)dishonestly abuses that position, and .
(c)intends, by means of the abuse of that position— .
(i)to make a gain for himself or another, or .
(ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss. .
(2)A person may be regarded as having abused his position even though his conduct consisted of an omission rather than an act. ..

the authorities have lots of catching up todo to catch the fraudsters only for another crime ring to take there place , as people who seek out scams and report them say, ebay inc autotrader......... are breaking the law by causing me unneccesary risk to loseand will one day have to compensate every victim for there time,stress,money etc .

thanks dogwithabone
#193043 by Bankscam Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:53 pm
David Jansen wrote:Please post the email messages, not just the email addresses.

These cases come from advert sites, not spam mail.

I will present the two cases I have in their own threads, including my chasing activity.

I thought this thread was about Barclays being the #1 choice of bank among scammers. By the way, I have only seen English bank account so far, so England is the favorite country for scanners.
#193044 by Dotti Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 pm
@dogwithabone:

eBAY, Gumtree, and Autotrader are NOT scam sites.

While you're at it, don't forget all the other classified ad sites, the small local classified ads newspapers,and every dating and social networking site on the internet. And don't forget the "real" newspapers, radio stations, and TV stations that allow commercials and "infomercials" for useless items, bogus weight loss products, and an entire industry of anti-aging products that don't work. And let us not forget sites like Amazon, who allow these scam products to be sold. By logical extension of your theory, they are all fraudulent.

I have stated before that this is not the site for posting blanket accusations of criminal activity against legitimate companies.

Those companies provide a service. They clearly specify what that service is, and they also make it a point to warn people of the risks. There are CLEAR warnings on their sites.

They are also not involved in any financial transactions with you, nor are they likely to be found responsible for your financial interests in any court of law. Unlike some of the money transfer/exchange companies that get a piece out of every transaction, these companies also don't profit directly from the scams. If you (or anyone else) sends money to a scammer by WU, MG, or bank transfer, none of those companies profits. More often than not, they end up absorbing the cost of the fraudulent ads.

These sites are under no obligation to remove an ad just because someone emailed a complaint about it. From the site's perspective, the fact that you (or anyone) reported an ad as fraudulent doesn't guarantee it is. You could just as easily be an angry person trying to get back at an ex, a scammer reporting an ad because you are angry that the victim didn't fall for your lies, a confused individual who really believes a legitimate ad is a scam, or even someone angry because the seller didn't accept your offer. All of the above happen regularly.

And how do you think the legitimate sellers would react if their ads were removed based on a bogus report? They too have bills to pay and businesses to run. They will also lose money if their ads are indiscriminately removed based on unverified reports.

These sites have every right to investigate before taking action. If they don't know the person making the report, or the information is incomplete, the ad may not be immediately removed. As long as they are following an appropriate process, they are not going to be charged with any crime. If you want them to respond to your reports sooner, then you need to make the effort to understand what needs to be done to make that happen--I can guarantee that accusing the site of fraud is not going to elicit a cooperative attitude from them.

As an individual, if you are not happy with their actions, or feel that you are at risk, you have every right to refuse to use their sites. You also have the right to start up another site that has whatever controls you feel are necessary.

@bankscam:

We see accounts used for fraud in many countries, not just UK.
David asked for the contents of the messages for two reasons:
1) scammers often use the same words over and over again. Posting the actual language can help many more victims to recognize the scams when the criminal changes names and/or phony info.
2) It also provides objective evidence that the account really is linked to scam. As I said above--false reports do happen. Banks can't just take action against potentially innocent parties with no evidence to support that their activities are truly fraudulent. Posting the text from the scammers helps to ensure that they (and we) are going after the right people.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#193089 by dogwithabone Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 am
The scammer using the address [email protected] has been using gumtree to scam people since atleast April 2013, i was scammed in august 13 by responding to the above address, the fraudster was able to flood gumtree with fake fraudulant phishing ads up until december 13 even after i reported the scam email address in august to them, if you google the fraud a t 2006 section 35 (4) it is clear what the breach is. I agree with some of what you say dotti but global company's like ebay inc have a duty of care to look after its users . Genuine buyers are being duped daily losing between £1000 and £20,000!!! And 3500 victims. I have sent a pm to site owners regarding details of how to contact the authorities and maybe to ask if victims have not yet reported there fraud they can do by the email address i have provided in the pm i sent.

thanks dogwithabone
#193090 by AlanJones Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:13 am
Are these adverts that actually have the email address in the body of the advert? If not, how do you know that the adverts are being placed using the email address [email protected]. Scammers will regularly use a different email address to reply to the enquiries than the one that the messages were sent to.

#193094 by dogwithabone Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 am
The address was in the pics of the so called car i was interested in, after being scammed i have been googling the email address, what i saw was 20 or 30 listings of vehicles for sale or for scam on gumtree, using the cached you could see the ads in a google snapshot of the vehicles the fraudsters were phishing with, these have been removed but i have my own copies to use as evidence when/if needed. Just as a quick example look at this link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... umers.html

i don't here of other sites having so much bad press!!

thanksdogwithabone
#193176 by AlanJones Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 am
I've just googled [email protected] and all I get are scam warnings, so it would appear that Gumtree have removed all the adverts or the scammer has stopped using that email address.

Gumtree et al remove fraudulent adverts as soon as they are aware of them and also have clear scam warnings.

Your case of breach of the fraud act will fail as:
(a) they have made every effort they can to safeguard thir customer's financial interests.
(b) they haven't dishonestly abuse the position.
(c i) they've made no gain.
(c ii) they didn't abuse their position or intend to cause you loss.

If you want to wage a campaign then you would be better off targetting it at the law that allows bank transfers to be unreversible, even in the event of proven fraud or crime.