Information on romance scams and scammers.
#190176 by Susanne SJ Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 pm
I think or believe, I'm absolutely sure that I have met two scame that has stood out to be U.S. soldiers in the army.
The first one ;After we had chatted for a while, he asked me for help to apply for leave Kabul Afghanistan, so he could be with his daughter. He told me a sob story about old grand mother and his daughter.
I told him that I couldn't do that, you must do it by your self. After I gave him this answer he deleted me on Facebook as a friend, and he began to ask for friendship to my fimale friends.We had talked to each other for a month.
He said his name was David Gillis Jonas and a sergeant in US army Kabul Afghanistan.

The other Is Capt William Dustin. We have been chatting on Yahoo.
Met him on Tagged.com, he gave me this mail address,[email protected], claiming to be in Libya US army.
We have been chatting for about a month, then he said something that made me suspicious. I asked for his name, social security number and date of birth, asked for his official military email address. Ha asked me why and gave me a lot of excuses to not give it to me. I have saved photos on both,It is a shame to use these images on innocent human. Persons who has served or serve as soldiers in the war-torn country, and who do their best. Far away from relatives and friends.
I think there's a third one but he is in the English army.
My question. How can I share those photos
My question, how do I share those photos?
Advertisement

#190177 by Susanne SJ Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:08 pm
This is what I found in Facebook. My name is CPT WILLIAM DUSTIN OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY. I am from CHICAGO, ILLINOIS. I was born in CHICAGO. i have spent most of my life in the military.i joined the army in 1991 in brockton, Massachusetts.. I am good looking and have a great sense of humor, i see life as living the most of it not minding what happens tomorrow. i love having me a good and lovely time, well... I'm being told more often that i am too nice but i believe it is an individual opinion. i love trying out new things, i can kill you with kindness(smiles)if you know what i mean..i am self reliant, confident and independent..i guess you just have to find out more if you want to chat with me
smiles
#190179 by Bryon Williams Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:23 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Susanne SJ,

Yes, both of them are scammers. You can read about Military Scammers here. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527

To post pictures I use scamwarners. Mark the photo's as stolen. Here is a link on the information. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

If you have any further questions please ask.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#190181 by Dotti Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm
Welcome Susanne!

Just to make one small point: asking an American for their DOB and social security number is not an appropriate way to verify identity. Social security numbers are confidential information and are closely tied to many financial activities. Americans are advised not to give their social security out to anyone except businesses and government with a legitimate reason for requesting it. That information plus just a little more personal information can be enough to allow identity theft.

A real soldier (at least one with any sense) can and should refuse to give you his social security number. On the other hand, he should be willing to share his name and official military address, and if you have been in regular contact, he should be willing to share his birthdate.

With that said, as Byron has already stated, it is clear that both are scammers.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#190183 by Susanne SJ Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:35 pm
I have read this, and some more warnings.
Want to prove it's a scam - bait him. Tell him you have an iPad loaded up with your favorite movies and music that you want to send him and need his address
If he is in Afghanistan or Nigeria or anywhere else, his address format will be
Rank, Name
Unit Number
Base, Camp or Embassy name
APO AE 09xxx-xxx
There is NEVER a country name used in mail to military or embassy personnel. It goes to an APO address which is treated as US domestic mail. So if the address you get is different than what is above he is NOT in the military. For security reasons ALL mail to military personnel overseas must go through an APO

Also ask him to email you from his Army email address. If he's in the army his address will be [email protected] -- NOTHING else. Do not believe anyone who says they cannot use their military address for personal email. That's BS. They are supposed to only use their military address when overseas
Also INSIST on a Skype chat. All US bases and Embassies have computers with internet access to Skype friends and family back home. If he is emailing you, he can Skype you
Also if he is on active duty overseas, he is limited to 30 minutes of internet access a week, once a week. He would not be chatting with you daily or several times a week. He would have an assigned 30 minute slot each week to communicate with friends and family at home. Scammers will be on with you several times a week
#190194 by vonpaso xlura Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:25 pm
If you're going to bait him, please see http://forum.419eater.com/.

No soldier needs help from anyone outside the military to get leave. No soldier needs help from anyone outside the military to get a phone.

The writing of "William Dustin" is that of a West African.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#191909 by ashley4403 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm
My mother was also scammed by this Capt. William Dustin. She chatted with him on facebook for a month or more. He told her to go start looking for a house in the price range of 300,000 and 500,000. He said he would be returning to the US at the end of Feb. And that he would retire and they can start a life together. He said he had a son named Elvis Dustin whom friended her on Facebook as well. She received a message on facebook the other day from a women who claimed to be scammed by the same person. She told my mother a very similar story of what had happened to her. He told the women to look for a house just as he told my mom only in this case he promised to send this lady two trunks full of money and all she had to do is send him her info so that he can get the trunks sent to her. When my mother called him out on it he blocked her from facebook right then and there. There is so much more bull that he told my mom and the other lady. Its disgusting!
#191930 by Susanne SJ Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm
Wow...that was the man Capt William Dustin on Facebook, such a scam.
I'm glad I found out before it went to long.
It is shameful and degrading to the U.S. army. What these people do, is to give the U.S. Army a bad name, or rather, these men who fight in another country into disrepute.
#207001 by MissT82 Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:04 pm
OMG! I wonder if it's the same David Jonas Gillis I have talked to! It sounds like him. He says he has a daughter. And a old grandmother. He tells me that he are in Kabul. Is he a fake? Is he not in the US Army. He has asked me to help him out of Kabul :(
#207002 by Bryon Williams Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:13 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners MissT82,

Yes, he is a scammer. He is lying to you. Real Soldiers do not need help from internet strangers. They do not need someone to pay for leave, phone calls, meals, medical and flights home. They do have access to their money. The military will provide everything they need. Stop all contact with him. If you confront him he will only lie to you more.

Please read here>> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6527

Also post his email address and a couple of his initial emails to you. Please remove any of your personal information.

This will help others avoid his scam attempts.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#207127 by MissT82 Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:48 am
Is it some one who has a picture of David? I have so I can see if the pictures is on the same person or if he's using more than one persons pictures