Information on romance scams and scammers.
#191465 by maryannie Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 am
January, 2014: Mike Fergie is still alive and well on Match but his relatives are still dying likes flies on a hot windowsill. He sends a photo of an extremely good looking, greying man. In one pose he is with a small daschund dog. In another he is with his supposed late daughter.

He claims to be from England - West Sussex our Southampton. His wife and daughter died 8 years ago leaving him crushed. His childhood story is a real sob story. His mother died in childbirth and his father detested him for reminding him of the love he lost. His father, a violent and "degenerate gambler" married a woman who then rescued Michael from his father's abuse. Nana raised him, often working three jobs to do so. SHe gave him a good education (Hamp) and the University of Southampton where he earned a Masters in Geology. He worked as a field manager for DeBeers for years and now works as a consultant "I am a businessman who buys and sells gemstones" Before too long in our communication, Nana had a heart attack and then died. He was devastated. He went to Southampton, England, to bury Nana, came home to Montreal then went back to Southampton for a day before being summoned to Dubai to make a purchase for a client. I understand I would then have been asked for money but my daughter found this site and discovered he was a scam artist. Oh yes, his sidekick Betty (Betty Walthom <[email protected]>) and her husband Alex write to you to say they've never seen "Chuck" (his middle name is Charles) so in love… gag and puke and gag some more. I fell for all of this. One more thing - he finds a way to keep you from calling him ("due to my travels all calls should come from my phone for the next few days") He claims to be moving from Montreal to Mississauga. His side-kick Betty made a mistake that twigged me a bit - said the big car accident was 5 years ago, and not the 8 years that Mike said it was. He speaks with the worst garbled English accent I've ever heard!
Advertisement

#192116 by jupa Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:37 pm
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: match.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 18:12:44 +0000

Morning XXXXX. Quite the pleasure to read from you here. I feel it's important you know a little about me. For starters, here are a few things about me to give you a vivid idea of the person I am. It's a bit extensive, but it's me.

About me: I grew up in Haywards heath. A part of West Sussex, England. My mother passed away at childbirth, and for some personal reasons my father despised me for it. According to him, whenever he looked at me he would see the person who took his wife away from this world. He was a drunk and a degenerate gambler. My father however remarried 5 years after my mother's passing to the most amazing woman you'll ever meet. She was nothing like my father. Was kind and caring and at the age of 7, when she had taken enough of my father's conniptions and his severe maltreating of me, she took me away from him and we have lived together ever since. You would think he would come after us, but he never did. She raised me and taught me every thing I know today. She adopted me on my 12th birthday and I call her Nana even though she's not my grand mother. I owe everything to her and she is my pillar in life. The Barbarous man passed 9 years ago from cancer, but I never did care much for him. Nana was a strong woman, and she did everything she could to make sure I got a good education and that I did. I attended St. Joseph's private school in H. heath for 3 years and then work moved nana to Southampton. I transferred to Wildern. Played football(soccer)and rugby in both schools. Although had to take half-day jobs so couldn't always make practice and eventually dropped out of the squad. After secondary school, I studied Geology at the University of Southampton and eventually went on to get my MSc in Geology and earth science.
I lost my wife and daughter in a car accident 8 years ago, and I haven't been in a serious relationship since then. It had been very difficult for me adapting to my old life without my family and with everything that reminded me of them still around me, I made the decision 5 and 1/2 years after their passing, to make the permanent move away from England. Time never allowed me to implement my plans, but thankfully, a new phase of my life has begun.
In November 2011, I moved to the Canada. While Montreal has been serene and beautiful, Nana had begun to tire of the all too familiar British like weather, so I knew I had to do something about it. Working from home allows a huge amount of freedom, so it wasn't that big a deal to initiate the move. Above all, I knew it would make her happy. I am mineral geologist by profession; was a field manager until 2004 when I resigned. Now, I'm an independent consultant.

I have worked with a few reputable companies and a lot of mediocre ones in England. The companies in England are usually the subsidiary branches, who usually have umbrella branches or head offices situated in countries worldwide. The first major mining company I worked for is De beers, they are a huge and well respected one at that. I was a researcher/field manager's assistant when I started and I loved the adventure. After my second year of training, I got to travel to South Africa for the first time and it was amazing. I worked there and was offered the post of a researcher after 3 years, but my promotion took so long that I had already applied for a job elsewhere for the post, but the latter paid better. Namco is a Canadian listed mining company, not as huge as De beers, but they were on the prowl for fresh untapped endowment. I was with them for 7 years. In my years of being a researcher, I have travelled to tons of countries; Russia, South Africa, Namibia, Guinea, Ghana, Brazil, India, Australia, Congo and Guyana. I still research when hired by private and potential entities, but my field manager days are behind me. And after relocating, that will be seldom done.

Please forgive me for going on and on for no reason. With time you'll get to see that I'm quite timid and this email was the best way for me to "break the ice."

Where exactly do you reside? What are your hobbies, dislikes, pet peeves? I'd like to know these and more, but we could start there for now. Have a lovely morning.

Michael

This is from the same "guy" or whomever.........first email............beware, watch out!
#192118 by jupa Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:42 pm
Morning XXXXX, and thank you for your kind words. It hasn't been easy, but I believe the worst part is over and it's how we pick ourselves up that defines the person we are. For the record, the attraction to your profile was instant. You're beautiful and I love what you had to say. Obviously I couldn't read all the emails I received, so from the ones I read, yours was beautiful.

Not that you asked; I arrived with a 5 year work permit which is renewable to another 5, and then to a resident's permit. After my move, I've worked from home which is as convenient as can be. I retained my old clientelle and still get great referrals every now and then. I am a self-employed mineral geologist and have been for the past 8 years now. As I said in my life email I was a field manager for over 15 years. I loved my job and I loved the travels, but at the end of the day the hours weren't worth being away from family for long periods in a year and I had to let that go. I still however travel, but not as much as I used to. I'm certain my job description would puzzle you so let me try to elaborate on what it is I do exactly. I'm officially an independent consultant for Namco, and sometimes I consult for private entities in the mineral geology field as well as individuals. I have a small office in Greater London where I had my business meetings and did my office work.Now all of that is in charge of a young promising adult who happens to be doing a great job. You could also call me a business man who participates in the purchase and resale of gemstones. Regarding where I wish to reside, I've been looking at Dundarave and Stonecliff. It's between those 2 and the decision would be made final in a little under 2 weeks.

I was married to Perpetua for 26 years, but we were together for 30. My daughter was 24 when she passed. Nana's very much alive at 81. She was a smoker for a very long period in her life and it's affected her health, other than that she's quite the healthy woman I must say. She made the move with me, and sincerely this was her choice, as I had preferred Melbourne, in Australia. She'll probably be the liveliest female at her age that you'll know. She watches movies, probably as much as I do. She reads and is cooking half the time she's home. As for my father, although I didn't forgive him before he passed, I certainly have found peace now.

I'm quite the avid reader although to be honest I haven't read in quite some time. I love TV shows( American shows to be exact) To name a few: two and a half men, the mentalist, NCIS,Mad men, Boardwalk empire, Modern family, Downton Abbey(though not American), homeland and tons more. I'm unable to watch them on the original air dates so I have them recorded and watch them on weekends when I'm less occupied. I love music, a lot. I have an iPod and I carry it pretty much everywhere with me. Music has helped me through a lot of tough times and it's my refuge. I love to swim, play lawn tennis, horse riding ( I worked in a stable for 2 yrs as a kid), surfing(haven't in a while), Love to cook( have been cooking since I was 11 with my Nana and I learnt every single recipe from her). .

I'm quite open to a fault and I dwell on sincerity. I might be a wee-bit timid, but I definitely tell it as it is. I don't keep a lot of friends, because I detest dishonest people and the ones I have are like family to me whom I trust with everything. My closest friends are a couple I have known for over 30 years who reside back in England, but are currently around for a 2 month holiday(More on them some other time).

Being a Canadian, I'm certain you're a coffee drinker? Or are you one of the very few tea drinkers? Have a good morning and hope to hear from you soon. Cheers.

Michael
Second email from [email protected] Beginning the set up! He is a slick scammer!
#192119 by jupa Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:51 pm
This is the last email I received from Michael/Chuck/Mike Ferguson/Fergie, even AFTER, I emailed him that the gig was up!!!! This is the set up........there were many other emails, I can't take the time to post them all.....and after this there was one more, asking what I'm going on about??? I never replied.......he is slick...............watch out!!!! I will post the email from his friends also........

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Phone call
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:44:52 +0000

As I type this I'm actually about to take a trip to rural area on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi which is about 2hrs from my current location. My endeavours in Dubai were not a total bust, but they certainly didn't go as planned. I was referred to a private collector in Abu Dhabi who has the gemstones I was contracted to acquire. Although he's willing to part with it for a little more than estimated, I have to close this and return home. I made a purchase yesterday, however it was one not planned, but would certainly end up being very lucrative for me.

Yesterday I was showed "Red Beryl Emerald," which is also one of the rarest gems around. 2 years ago I was contracted to purchase one of this twice in the same year and they turned out to be unsuccessful in my search. My career took a stab due to my inability to acquire this gemstone and my clients were unhappy because I had assured them that I would be able to deliver. So you could imagine my surprise when after so long it was finally in my possession. I acted like a child who had just received his first Lego set. Yesterday turned out to be a busy day for me and after the verification process I tried to call you at least 4 times to tell you the news, but I was unable to get a dial tone when calling. It was so frustrating because I wanted so much to share the news with you. I spent over 4 hours at the bank yesterday because I had to do a lot to make that purchase possible. I feel like I can share anything with you because I feel so open and want a future with you. Sincerely I tried to call a lot earlier to ask you what you thought about what I was about to do, I know I probably would have gone on with my decision either way, but I felt like I needed your input.
Purchasing that stone took a huge amount of courage on my part, but the yield would be enormous so I do not worry. Alex wasn't certain it was a good idea, but with the relocation ahead I need all the investment inputs I can handle.

I thought about you a lot yesterday and I can't wait till we are on the same time zone and don't have to worry about sending emails or instant messaging or not being able to reach you on the phone. Like I've always said, 'life is too short'.

XXXXX, sharing your body and soul is vital to a happy, secure relationship. Of course, intimacy goes beyond the bedroom; a look, a knowing smile, a soft touch, snuggling into each others arms, a back rub, late night conversations...I have missed those times. I look forward to a relationship and living life with that special person and I'm willing to wait till you're ready. I saw an older couple the other day, they were walking hand in hand in the mall. They were talking and laughing like a couple of kids. I thought of us (not that we are old), just seeing them enjoying being with each other and happy together. Am I scaring you yet? Do you mind me asking when last you were intimate with a man? It's been a very long time for me babe and I can't wait to be there with you. I can't wait to make you feel like a woman and it would be my sweetest pleasure to do that. Please don't be baffled, I've been bottling these emotions for a minute now and I feel beyond elated to be able to share them with you.

I have been viewing your photos repeatedly all day and uploaded them to my phone. Every night I go to bed, I miss the warmth of that special person lying right beside me. I hate that we are unable to communicate on the phone when we feel like it. In less than 2 weeks I'll get to give you that long awaited hug.
Thank you for being straightforward always.

Thinking about you,
Michael
#192120 by jupa Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:55 pm
Now this is the email from his best "friend" Betty........substantiating / corroborating his story! Wow very slick..........Look out ladies..............

To: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: From Betty, Chuck's friend
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 22:32:55 +0000

Hi XXXXXXX, it's Betty. I asked for your email because I'm astonished at what you've done to Chuck. You need to understand that I have known this man since we were in the University, and he had always been a bright and cheerful person till that terrible accident 5 years ago when he lost his wife and daughter. Chuck had never been the same since then, but today I see a different person.
Prior to recent tragic happenings, he had been smiling all the time and being a woman I knew that only a female could make a man smile the way he did. This is a very difficult time for him, and I'm glad he has you to confide in.

I am very happy for him and I thank you for bringing this new found joy into his life. May God bless you and keep you two together. I look forward to getting to know you in the near future and I hope you don't mind me intruding. He doesn't really keep friends, so me and my husband are pretty much it. Please be gentle with him.

Betty
Last edited by jupa on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#192121 by jupa Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:00 pm
[color=#0040FF]Here is the second email I received from Betty......lol ..........very slick, slick, slick...........setting me up for what is to come, hoping I am a kind and loving as Chuck believes, lol........even called him Chuck by mistake, his name was michael when we were emailing! lol I am posting these in hope it helps someone else..........he has probably already found these and changed name, doesn't matter................just to show you how very slick con he is, fairly well written I say! BEWARE..........

[/color]

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: From Betty, Chuck's friend
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:14:43 +0000

Hello XXXXXXX . My apologies for not being able to respond earlier. I'm an elementary school teacher and also work part-time at the NSCPA, which is a dog-shelter here in the UK. I'm elated that you feel the same way because to be honest, I thought Chuck was way in over his head. It's funny because I've introduced him to a lot of my female friends and in all sincerity, they all found him attractive, but he never opened up and most times he wouldn't go on more than one date with them. Then here you are, someone he met online and he falls for you so. Thank you for sharing the photo; you do have a lovely looking family.

I suppose he might have gotten ahead of himself, but he is smart enough to know when something's real and when it's not. I say you both see where it leads to, then you could decide for yourselves.
You APPEAR to be the best thing that's happened to him in a long time and it's such a pity it had to be just when Nana passed. You would have loved her.
From what I have heard from Chuck, you're an amazing and wonderful human. He speaks about you like a teenager and it's been a very long time since I've seen him this happy. That man has taken all the heartbreak a man can withstand in a life time, and deserves all the happiness possible. He has shown me snippets of some of your emails and I can tell that you are a genuine woman.
However, I do have my doubts about a few things. Don't take it the wrong way, but I pray for his sake that you are as loving and caring as he says you are. Chuck may be in love with you; even though he won't admit it to me, I know he is.He wants so bad to leave everything and fly away to be with you, which I think is quite immature, but this is what you've done to him. There's so much I want to tell you about that man, but I'll wait till after you've met. He's an amazing friend.

Tomorrow's another busy day as my daughter's playing football today at the local sports center, she played on the same team as Christine, Chuck's late daughter. It's a charity game and I'm in charge of a lot of arrangements. I do pray that you both find the long lasting happiness you both seem to deserve. Take care and enjoy the rest of the week.

Betty
Last edited by jupa on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
#192132 by jupa Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:33 pm
Picture of Nana and Michael Fergie/chuck fergie/ferguson.......aka Paul Rosenburg/Max McNamara (these last two were linked by the same story.......
Last edited by jupa on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
#192150 by easilyduped Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 pm
Hi Ladies,
Yeah I've been getting similar emails from Michael "Mike" Ferguson, but additionally, we've planned a trip to Greece! Anyone else going to Greece???? :wink: If so, let's all commiserate over shots of ouzo when we get there. (oh man this sucks)
#192261 by easilyduped Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:29 pm
I had wanted to send flowers for his mum's funeral but was unsuccessful finding the obituary. Later when I asked what paper it was in he said they didn't post a notice. I friggin' lit a candle for his mum on the day of the funeral. (Yeah I'm just too nice).

He sent me a poem this morning...not sure how much longer I should let this go on but now I'm just damned curious. I wish I could find a way to get even. I did report him on the anti-fraud website, although no actual scam has occurred. He hasn't asked for any money yet. I have asked to have a Skype video call with him before the week is out as we had one scheduled for Valentine's Day....that is until his mum died that morning.

Morning XXXXXXX. Sorry I didn't have an email waiting for you earlier this morning. Believe me, I derive extreme happiness and pleasure when I type on my keyboard thinking of what to share with you, especially in these lonely times. Not every obituary's posted in the paper, and Nana's would be an example. We was from Southampton, and we resided in Haywards heath, but I made no plans to have it posted in either of the gazettes. If you'd ask me why, I would have no response for that except I didn't see what the point would be. Her funeral was a small one with a few family members and those that matter.

In othe news, because I am travelling later in the week, I had to get up extremely early to head to Liverpool where I needed to sort out a few financial matters before I depart.

How is my baby this morning and how is work going? Do you know that my mate Alex, says I go on about you too much that it's beginning to irk him? Apparently he was your biggest supporter and now he says he can't wait for me to go away so he gets some quiet. He was joking of course.

There's a reggae song that I have recently been listening to and I'm sure you'll understand why. It's by an artist called "Daville" and the song title is "always on my mind." I don't know if I told you I enjoy reggae music; however this one's a bit more new school that the older ones I listen to.

I hope you had a pleasant night Anyway, I came across this poem and wanted to share it with you.

Being far away from you,
Each time I think about it, my eyes with tears.
This the most difficult part of my everyday life
Sitting here in my peaceful room, but my mind wasn’t.
I’m calling out your name again and again
But even I shout it so loud
You can’t hear me, because you’re far away…
Wish I’m your bed,
So I can relax with you.
Wish I’m your pillow,
So I can feel your hug each night.
Wish I’m your blanket,
So I can give you my warm embrace.
Wish I’m your stuff toys,
So I can watch you asleep all through the night.
Wish I’m your cell phone,
So I can hear your voice everyday to heal my tiredness.
Wish in just one snap of my finger I’m with you,
So I can kiss you goodnight.
I wish you’re not far away from me.
So I stop wishing each night.
I wish… I wish…

Miss you so (even though I've never been with you before)

Michael
#192263 by easilyduped Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:32 pm
I should also mention that I ran all the photos he's given me through Google Image's facial recognition software and none of them appear elsewhere on the web. I think they were likely lifted from someone in the same fashion as mine surely will be as he asked for more and more photos and who were in them, which I happily provided. He has 30+ photos of me, my family, kids, friends. Uggg! Mine are all on social media sites so when they get used again hopefully the gentlemen being duped can run them through Google Images as well to see if they belong to someone other than who they're communicating with.