Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#192170 by TerranceBoyce Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:36 am
Welcome to Scamwarners and thanks for the 'heads up'.

You're correct in every respect. These vouchers are designed to be used on the 'company's' website but clearly this isn't a company and the joker behind it will just use your details to go shopping himself.

Clearly the scammer is a small time loser. It's not the only scam he's operating but more on that later.

new-autotrader.com :laugh-s:

Using that name is a bit of a giveaway that they have nothing to do with the company whose name they're abusing. The scammer isn't smart either.

Small time loser, not very smart and he can't use an apostrophe for toffee.

new-autotrader.com
Registrar Info
Name WEBFUSION LTD.
Whois Server whois.123-reg.co.uk
Referral URL http://www.123-reg.co.uk
Status clientDeleteProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited
Important Dates
Expires On February 22, 2015
Registered On February 22, 2014
Updated On February 22, 2014
Name Servers
ns.123-reg.co.uk 212.67.202.2
ns2.123-reg.co.uk 92.51.159.40
Site Status
IP Address 94.136.40.103
Status active
Server Type Apache
Traffic Info
Raw Registrar Data
Domain Name: NEW-AUTOTRADER.COM
Registry Domain ID:
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.meshdigital.com
Registrar URL: http://www.domainbox.com
Updated Date: 2014-02-22T00:00:00Z
Creation Date: 2014-02-22T00:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-02-22T00:00:00Z
Registrar: WEBFUSION LIMITED
Registrar IANA ID: 1515
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: @domainbox.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8779770099
Reseller: 123Reg/Webfusion
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Identity Protection Service
Registrant Organization: Identity Protect Limited
Registrant Street: PO Box 795
Registrant City: Godalming
Registrant State/Province: Surrey
Registrant Postal Code: GU7 9GA
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Phone: +44.1483307527
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +44.1483304031
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: @identity-protect.org
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Identity Protection Service
Admin Organization: Identity Protect Limited
Admin Street: PO Box 795
Admin City: Godalming
Admin State/Province: Surrey
Admin Postal Code: GU7 9GA
Admin Country: GB
Admin Phone: +44.1483307527
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +44.1483304031
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: @identity-protect.org
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Identity Protection Service
Tech Organization: Identity Protect Limited
Tech Street: PO Box 795
Tech City: Godalming
Tech State/Province: Surrey
Tech Postal Code: GU7 9GA
Tech Country: GB
Tech Phone: +44.1483307527
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +44.1483304031
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: @identity-protect.org
Name Server: ns.123-reg.co.uk
Name Server: ns2.123-reg.co.uk
DNSSEC: unsigned

That's not very bright either.

A very useful post frederick1956 that's led to various other scams. They're being dealt with. :wink:
Last edited by TerranceBoyce on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#192171 by AlanJones Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 am
frederick1956 wrote:"new-autotrader.com"

The site is recently registered, using a privacy protection service to hide the identity of the registrants - not something a legitimate business would do.

The only address on the site is a FREEPOST address, which contravenes EU regulations, as they must give a physical contact address.

I would guess that the "refundable deposit" that they request won't get refunded when they fail to turn up for the appointment.

The site is also clearly designed to give the impression that they are in some way associated with AutoTrader - I've made AutoTrader aware of the existence of the site as it is using their logo.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#192199 by TerranceBoyce Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm
The website is gone.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#193575 by Millie76 Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:32 pm
Hi

I too got one of these today from http://www.guaranteed-offer.com/index.php

It seemed too good to be true & when they started asking for money first .... i decided to have a nosey about their site (Twitter/FB links don't work and noted slight grammar errors) and do an internet search and found this thread!

Thanks for informing me and saving me from a big ole waste of my time!

Millie

ps - I emailed autotrader to let them know too!
#193614 by TerranceBoyce Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 am
It's pretty obvious that the small time crook behind this is just going to keep re-issuing the site under different names endlessly.

To help people recognise it, whatever name it reappears under, here's the working part of the first page explaining how the scam works so that if you see it, you know to ignore it.

Any time a buyer asks you to pay them any money up front, quite simply it's a scam.

#193675 by TerranceBoyce Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm
The website is dead, expect its replacement to be along shortly.

Unless they redesign it you'll know what to watch out for.

#193677 by Sean29 Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:07 pm
Hi just wanted to let people know they have set up another website. I had my car for sale on autotrader online and got a text from bestcashprice.com offering near asking price. I googled for some info and found this thread. It's website is identical to the one you posted above. Thanks for the warning!
#193682 by TerranceBoyce Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:58 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Sean29 and thanks for the heads up.

Same ol' same ol'

http://best-cash-price.com

.. and they haven't even altered the design.

Bargain basement scammers.

#193683 by AlanJones Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm
Some content for Google to find

The address

Telephone : 0845 8622 446
Address : FREEPOST AT5147. London. W1T 1HQ ‎
Web : best-cash-price.com
Email : [email protected]

PURCHASE OFFER
Our car buyers sort through 1,000s of cars every week in the AutoTrader looking for cars to stock our Finance Car Warehouses. If we like your car then we will text you a 'Purchase Offer ID'

BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
In most cases we will offer near asking price if your cars what we are looking for. If your wondering how we make our profit - its in the finance deal with the new owner.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#193807 by wakeuppeople Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 pm
Attention to All!

Please be aware that both product-Autotrader.com and, best-cash-price.com belong to the same scamer; It appears that they have set up multiple websites! and as soon as someone pays by PAYPOINT voucher following the text received by scammers (they include Aototrader.co.uk price as per autotrader advert) they take that particular web site down so making it very difficult to catch! - Its pretty much like octopus - changing and reshaping all the time in order to disguise.

Can someone tell as how to inform the Police about those unscrupulous criminals and also how to possibly STOP paypoint carrying out issuing untraceable vouchers which drives this forward and giving Britain a bad name.

It should not be that hard for the Police to investigate those thugs!
Autotrader.co.uk doesn't seem to care as long as it takes the money for adverts! Why don't they do their bit?!
Here is the web site picture minutes before it got taken down:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEST-CASH-PRICE.COM
HOW IT WORKS
TERMS & PRIVACY
CONTACT US
SOLD
Selling your car?
We Pay Cash and collect from any UK destination.
LOOK HOW MUCH WE PAY
Enter your purchase offer ID below.
View Your Offer
HOW IT ALL WORKS? GET YOUR CAR SOLD IN 4 SIMPLE STEPS:
OFFER
Enter your purchase ID above to view our offer.
read more
ACCEPT
If your happy with our Guaranteed best cash price offer then click on 'Accept Offer'.
read more
BOOK
Book an appointment for us to inspect, pay and collect your car.
read more
CASH
Our car trader will pay you cash and collect your car.
read more
PURCHASE OFFER
Our car buyers sort through 1,000s of cars every week in the AutoTrader looking for cars to stock our Finance Car Warehouses. If we like your car then we will text you a 'Purchase Offer ID'
BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
In most cases we will offer near asking price if your cars what we are looking for. If your wondering how we make our profit - its in the finance deal with the new owner.

BEST-CASH-PRICE.COM
Telephone : 0845 8622 446
Address : FREEPOST AT5147. London. W1T 1HQ ‎
Web : best-cash-price.com
Email : info@best-cash-pri
#193823 by TerranceBoyce Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners wakeuppeople but I'm not sure what more Autotrader UK can do about this particular scam.

People are posting details of their cars on their website together with their contact details and it's difficult to hold Autotrader UK responsible morally or legally if a scammer misuses those details. If you pay the website to display those details they would be in the wrong if they didn't. The scammer happens to target Autotrader UK but could just as easily target Ebay or Gumtree or any of the other UK or even foreign ad sites.

The best way that this particular scan can be combatted is by spreading the word about it as widely as possible. A previous version of the scam involved people looking for work paying for CRB checks using the same method. By giving the scammer the details from the receipt it has been effectively been converted in to a cash payment. Anyone paying another person this way has lost all protection he might have had if he'd insisted in making payment to a named company or an authorised company.

I'm sure that Autotrader UK will do all they can to stamp the scam out because it's going to deter their paying customers but, in this instance, I've got to say they'll never stamp it out entirely. It simply isn't under their control.

#193869 by wakeuppeople Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 am
Thank you very much for your reply. Can Autotrader.co.uk at least not put a warning out so people are aware of the spammers?. Why aren't the British Authorities interested to do something about it? The UK government pretends to sort out the world's security whilst the mess is growing at home! Why there is no option given to report such scams anonymous at Government's web site:http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/?
Aren't the police wasting accrual time by concentrating far too much on the crime reporter identity and making a reporters data base rather than doing something about what actually been reported?
Surely, its making Britain look bad and its citizens unsafe, insecure.
#193876 by TerranceBoyce Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 am
Don't get me started wakeuppeople - I'll never stop. :lol:

Internent fraud is a massive problem and as ineffective as UK authorities are in dealing with it, that same allegation can be made against every other country.