If you have received a warning from someone claiming to be a ScamWarner and want to check if it is genuine, please ask here.
#200527 by anothermortal Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 pm
My parents have been texting back & forth with a random someone about receiving a check for a vehicle this someone is supposed to buy. They then received a text from someone else claiming to be from ScamWarners telling them to not cash any check or anything. We've never dealt with ScamWarners before & have no idea how they could've gotten my father's phone number.
Advertisement

#200528 by Bryon Williams Wed May 07, 2014 5:35 pm
The advice is correct.

The person that warned you should have given you a name. Can you please post the name here? I will check and see if it one of our Warners.

ETA: Please have your parents sell the vehicle face to face at a public place with cash. Do not deal with anyone on the internet who can not view the vehicle and wants to pay by check, bank transfer or Paypal. The scam is these payments will be fake. The scammer will have your parent pay a mover/shipper/agent with their own money. No one will ever come to pick up the vehicle.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#200529 by anothermortal Wed May 07, 2014 5:45 pm
They never gave a name. My father asked but they only said they were from ScamWarners. We have a phone number if that might help?
#200531 by Bryon Williams Wed May 07, 2014 5:54 pm
The person that warned your parents is more than likely Not a member of the Support Staff here. A Warner from here would have gladly given your parent their name.

The phone number will not be helpful.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#200532 by Dotti Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm
Regardless of the warner's name, if your parents are expecting to receive money from a stranger, for a vehicle the stranger has never seen in person, it is almost certainly a fraudulent check scam.

Typically a scammer will send a check for more than the cost of the vehicle. He will then claim that the "extra" money is to be sent to his "shipper" or some other 3rd party. In some cases, he will claim that he accidentally overpaid, or (more rarely) that an emergency came up and he needs the money back. In any of these cases, his goal is going to be to get your parents to deposit the check and almost immediately withdraw the money to send via wire transfer or some other untraceable means (like a prepaid card.) The scammer's goal is to collect that money. He is counting on the fact that many people believe (wrongly) that a check has cleared if the bank makes the funds available. In reality, the check can still be found to be fraudulent after the money has been released (even weeks to months later), and the person who deposited the check will ultimately be required to pay the entire amount of the check back to the bank, plus fees for depositing a fraudulent check in the first place. By the time your parents realize that they have been had, the scammer and the cash will be gone, with no trail since he is using a fake or stolen name and fake information.

Just because the person isn't necessarily from our site doesn't mean that the warning itself is invalid. Sometimes people who fell for a job scam will discover the truth about the checks that they have printed and/or sent, and they will try to warn the recipients on their own. They might reference our site because it is where they learned the truth. But if they contacted your parents, and your parents are in fact dealing with a buyer sending a check, it's pretty likely that the information is accurate.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#200533 by anothermortal Wed May 07, 2014 6:17 pm
Thanks so much guys! I just got the name "Vic Turner", my parents have pretty much just been playing along until the get a check & then planned on taking it out state police post & letting them in on it. I will let them know! Again, thank you so much.
#200536 by Bryon Williams Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 pm
Vic Turner is a member. Please have your parents text him back and let him know they received the message.