What's new in the world of scams and ScamWarners.
#20092 by Arnold Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 am
http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel10/ ... 011310.htm
he FBI today reminds Internet users who receive appeals to donate money in the aftermath of Tuesday’s earthquake in Haiti to apply a critical eye and do their due diligence before responding to those requests. Past tragedies and natural disasters have prompted individuals with criminal intent to solicit contributions purportedly for a charitable organization and/or a good cause.

Scammers will take advantage of anything. Even a massive natural disaster like this. I'm not aware of any actual scams so far, but it's just a matter of time. Only donate to well known charities.

Advertisement

#20095 by Ralph Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 am
A timely reminder of the type of people we are educating the public about,

Internet scammers care for nobody but themselves and have absolutely no remorse for the pain and suffering they cause.

I like to draw the positives from things regardless of how bad they are, I guess in this case it will highlight the best and worst of what the world's inhabitants have to offer
#20098 by Arnold Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 am
And it's started.
Hello Sir/ Madam

Do get across to the Haiti earthquake victims through M.E. FOUNDATION home.

Save a Life today through us

God bless you as you contribute to the victims of natural disasters

For any form of relief material you plan to send across, please do contact our home team Mr. David Isco Iker on [email protected] or call us directly on +34634026536

Yours in Service

Mrs. Mary Isco Iker
President
M.E. FOUNDATION

:bondage:

#20141 by Peta Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:10 am
It really doesn't take long for the cockroaches to come scurrying out of their filthy crevices.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from [41.205.167.3] by web27105.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:55:50 GMT
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:55:50 +0000 (GMT)
From: This sender is FR_THOMAS MARTINS <[email protected]>
Subject: Haiti Earthquake Appeal.Donate at the British Red Cross lawyer
To: [email protected]

Haiti Earthquake Appeal
The devastating earthquake in Haiti has left thousands in need of aid.

* Donate at the British Red Cross
to our lawyer working for the Haiti Earthquake Appeal Fund.Send money faster by Western Union Money Transfer as stated below.

Contact the solicitors
Roland Stuart
UK SOLICITORS.
169 Walworth Road
London SE17 1RW
DX 34905 Walworth
United Kingdom
Email: [email protected]

WESTERN UNION INFORMATION.

RECIEVERS NAME. ROLAND STUART.
ADDRESS. LONDON.

SEND US THE WESTERN UNION MTCN/SENDERS NAME AS ADDRESS AND THE AMOUNT SENT AS WE SHALL SHOW APPRECIATION BY CONTACTING YOU BACK AFTER YOUR DONATION.

MAY THE LOVE OF GOD BE WITH YOU AS YOU DONATE.

REGARDS,
#20154 by Nanny Ogg Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:15 pm
The Red Cross have a warning on their site

Fraudulent Haiti appeal email

There is currently a fraudulent email campaign in operation soliciting donations via Western Union money transfer for Haiti on behalf of the British Red Cross.

Any emails requesting donations to us through any mechanism other than secure donation via redcross.org.uk or 0845 053 5353 are fraudulent.

All British Red Cross email addresses end @redcross.org.uk or @email.redcross.org.uk and we do not use general email providers, such as BT Internet or Googlemail, to solicit donations.

If you are suspicious of an email you have received, please contact the British Red Cross supporter care team:
0844 87 100 87
[email protected]
#20251 by Ralph Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:24 am
Here is another one.

This one came from [email protected] who happens to be writting from a Nigerian IP address 41.219.196.222 Nigeria*

Good morning,

Please My name is John Slameu from Port au Prince city in Haiti. We had been distabilised by a very worse eathquake that I'd ever experinced in my lifehood,but i thanked God that I'm safely alive with my 3 kids while my wife is still in the hospital receiving treatment on her wounds and injuries.

We are homeless,jobless and hopeless. Though several organisation's, countries and personalities had been trying their best about our aid but i need some personal help and assistance to relocated to a very far place of the town and feeding my children's.

Kindly help me out with any amount you can afford to help us with and God will be with you in all your eadeavour's.

Get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks.

John.