Information on romance scams and scammers.
#202284 by dexies Tue May 20, 2014 5:27 pm
i hope i posted this in the right place. My ex girlfriend is obsessed with these scams. she receives over 100 pieces of mail a day. She sends money all the time. She is convinced that she has been chosen by some higher power, and convinced she is going to win... She believes that somewhere amongst all the scams there is a legitimate one that will make her rich and solve her problems. This has been going on for over 6 years. I have tried everything to get her to see reality including proving via internet that the next big thing she is counting on is a scam. This only causes her depression and sometimes violent outburst, only to then move on to the next big thing. Are there other people out there who are in similar situations? I don't know where to turn to. her life has been on hold since this began because she thinks she can't make her next move until she wins the money. These cold hearted people keep stringing her along for months and months, with hope, shadowed in secrecy. She is told in these letters not to discuss the content with anyone or she will no longer be worthy of the gifts she is going to receive. Obviously she needs psych treatment, but she learned many years ago not to trust psychiatrist when her doctor committed her into a psych hospital for a week after she confided in him about her belief in these scams.
I am desperate for resources.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed May 21, 2014 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Split. Sent PM to notify with link.
Advertisement

#202323 by AlanJones Wed May 21, 2014 2:33 am
I'm afraid that it is unlikely that there is much we can do to help - we normally point out the facts that show something is a scam, but it sounds like you are already doing that. The bottom line is that she has an addiction and like any other addict, until she accepts that and seeks help, she's not going to change.

What type of scams are we talking about? Are they the types of advanced fee fraud we mainly deal with here or are they the dodgy "get rich quick" schemes that promise she'll be making $X amount per month and all she has to do is pay $Y for the info?

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.