Room for Rent and other rental scams
#186385 by Con Warner Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:31 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your email. I'm Lawrence Meigs-Mcdonell, the owner of the apartment you are in renting. Actually I resided in the apartment with my family for some months and we moved away due to my transfer from my working place, my apartment is still available for rent for $580 per month including the utilities like hydro,washer and security. Right now I'm in West Africa for a crusade and i would like you to get in touch with my wife in the United states for more discussion as she is with the keys and the documents to the apartment. Please I want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property, so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and I want you to treat it as your own. I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up,I do that once in a while. I want to have trust in you as I always stand by my words. Let us know how soon you are willing to move in. Email my wife Michele Meigs-Mcdonell on ( [email protected] ) and she will attend to you better.

ADDRESS TO THE apartment : 1212 Havenhurst Dr, West Hollywood, CA 90046

Thanks for your interest.

Lawrence Meigs-Mcdonell.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#198743 by ddddnlggg Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:42 am
Thank you!!!!

Here is another one:

Hello,

Thanks for your email, My husband owns the apartment. I want you to know that it was due to my husband's transfer that made us to leave the apartment and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take good care of the apartment, we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean all the time, So for now I am in Aransas Pass, TX in our new apartment and also I am with the keys and documents of the apartment, we tried to look for an agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not see and we don't want the apartment to be used any how in our absence that is why we took the keys and documents along with us here and would love you know that my husband is over in the West Africa for a mission of God. So i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the apartment. So get back to me on how you could take care of our apartment or perhaps experience you have in renting a apartment. Hope you are okay with the price per month with hydro, heat laundry facilities, air condition, internet connection and so on.. I am looking forward to hearing from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the apartment for rent.

Hope to read from you soon

Address: Northridge, CA
#201611 by Nosajadams Thu May 15, 2014 12:03 pm
Very glad I found this.

I'm in contact with these people right now. Man, this is dumb.

They are doing the same thing with the exact same emails about an apartment in studio city, ca right now.

Thanks for your help.
#201612 by Nosajadams Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm
Here's the latest email I received...

-------
Hello,

Thanks for your response once again, I really appreciate your expression. We don't have any friend or relative to show you inside the apartment because I'm with the keys and documents. I want you to stick to your words. I want you to fill out the questions below, You must answer those questions to qualify for the rental of our apartment. In fact my husband would like to meet you when coming to visit you soonest. We would offer a long term and short term rental anytime you wish to leave the apartment will be grateful and we are ready to rent for as long as you want. Note that you will not be allowed to view inside the apartment until everything is being finalize as the keys/document are with me in Aransas Pass, TX. You can only view the apartment from the outside. The rent is $580 per month includes all UTILITIES with PARKING available. The security deposit is $580 ( Refundable ). Pets are allowed.

*****RENT APPLICATION FORM*****

Also, Please let me get these answers.

FIRST NAME:__________________
MIDDLE NAME: _________________
LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ________________
(CELL)PHONE () __________
(CELL)PHONE () _____________________
(WORK)PHONE () __________
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE: ______________
ZIP CODE: _______________ HOW LONG? ______________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
IF THIS apartment IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? _______________
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
HOW SOON CAN YOU HAVE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT SENT TO ME___________________________
HOW MANY MONTHS RENT CAN YOU DEPOSIT UPFRONT ( PLUS SECURITY DEPOSIT )________________
HOW SOON DO YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE apartment___________________________
MONTHLY INCOME:
IF YOU HAVE A PET:
NAME OF PET: _____________
KIND OF PETS: _____________
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE? ___________
DO YOU DRINK? ______________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____
A Copy Of Your Driving License If Available?____
Pictures Of All Occupant If Available?___

Looking forward to read from you with all this details for approval so that we can have it in our file in case of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting you. Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the documents and the keys to you, Please we're doing this transaction based on Trust & Honesty and again I want you to stick to your words,we're putting everything into Gods hand, so please do not let us down in this property of ours.

N:B : We're doing this because of God & as good Christians, If you can pay two months, you will get one month free.I had an accident which affected my hearing and my legs , I am currently on a wheel chair right now, I do not use a phone that's why I am always online, if you are interested, you can fill out the rent application above and get back to me as soon as possible. You can call my husband on his mobile phone there +234-903-064-6370. Note:- We're looking for someone who is ready to move in as soon as possible since our apartment is free right now and we will be giving out a month free. God bless you as you do this.

Best Regards,
#202061 by SunGoddess312 Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 am
I got the same email from [email protected], & under his "wife" [email protected], regarding an apt in santa monica for $580 (1245 10th st #1, Santa Monica, CA) from a crags list ad. The same apartment was listed on relators dot com with a relator for $2,480, and the pictures were different. But who would get an apartment without being able to view it anyhow. Shady. I replied with a chain letter. The letters they wrote me beforehand are below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First contact from the husband
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: This is a spacious and beautiful apartment located in Santa Monica

Top of the morning to you,

Thanks for your email. I'm Lawrence Meigs, the owner of the apartment you are in renting. Actually I resided in the apartment with my family for some months and we moved away due to my transfer from my working place, my apartment is still available for rent for $580 per month including the utilities like hydro,washer and security. Right now I'm in West Africa for a crusade and i would like you to get in touch with my wife in the United states for more discussion as she is with the keys and the documents to the apartment. Please I want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my property, so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and I want you to treat it as your own. I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up,I do that once in a while. I want to have trust in you as I always stand by my words. Let us know how soon you are willing to move in. Email my wife Michelle Meigs on ( [email protected] ) and she will attend to you better.

ADDRESS TO THE apartment : 1245 10th St #1, Santa Monica, CA 90401

Thanks for your interest,

Lawrence Meigs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And response from the wife, "Michelle"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: 1245 10th st #1 Santa Monica apt for rent

Hello,

Thanks for your email, My husband owns the apartment. I want you to know that it was due to my husband's transfer that made us to leave the apartment and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take good care of the apartment, we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean all the time, So for now I am in Aransas Pass, TX in our new apartment and also I am with the keys and documents of the apartment, we tried to look for an agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not see and we don't want the apartment to be used any how in our absence that is why we took the keys and documents along with us here and would love you know that my husband is over in the West Africa for a mission of God. So i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the apartment. So get back to me on how you could take care of our apartment or perhaps experience you have in renting a apartment. Hope you are okay with the price per month with hydro, heat laundry facilities, air condition, internet connection and so on.. I am looking forward to hearing from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the apartment for rent.

Hope to read from you soon
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Photos were attached and didn't match the one the relator had. Plus santa monica is rent control.
#202555 by yarny77 Thu May 22, 2014 6:37 pm
Thank you so much for your quickly reply, I can see your willingness in this apartment. I want you to know that we're satisfied with your profile and also believe we can trust in you because we wouldn't like to experience what we experienced from our last tenant again. We would like to know the exact date you want to move into the apartment, we want you to know that we can let you stay in the apartment till the period of time you wish to. The rent fee is includes the apartment utilities, so you can use the utilities anytime but make sure you take proper care of our property. My husband will be receiving the payment via Western union and please get back to me with the full address on where to send you the keys and documents.

Accommodation Features
Wood Floor :
Heater :
Central Heating :
Equipped Kitchen :
Tv: Cable/Satellite TV:
Video/Stereo:
Internet :
Air Conditioning:
• Full Kitchen
• Refrigerator:
• Garage/Car park
• pets allowed.
Kitchen Features
Washing machine:
Juice Machine :
Iron :
Toaster:
Oven :
Dishwasher :
Coffee Maker :
Microwave :
Refrigerator:
Stove:

As soon as you pay the security deposit payment of $580 plus 2 or 1 months rent is paid, The apartment keys/documents will be delivered to you via FEDEX courier service on a next day delivery and it will be delivered to the address you provided in your application form. Let me read back from you as soon as possible so that I can arrange for the delivery of the keys/Documents.

Once again we're giving you this apartment on trust and don't disappoint us because I don't want our apartment to be destroyed again, if you wish to move in with your own property, we still have one extra room empty so you can easily put my our things you don't need in there.

Here are the contents that will be delivered to you via FEDEX courier service.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2)Paper/Permanent apartment form(Containing your reference details)
3)The apartment documented file.
4)Payment Receipts.
5)Full address and description of the apartment.

Get back to me via email if you need me to send you the information on how to send the deposit payment via western union so I can proceed shipment on how to send you the keys and documents. We are pleased to notify you that we have accepted your application for the lease property. Your Lease will begin as soon as you need it.

Hope to read from you soon.

Thanks and God bless you.

This piece of human garbage has a phone number - 2349030646370 ....called and spoke to him and told him what I thought of him...he was still denying it despite me quoting the other scam addresses...jerkoff!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu May 22, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#202556 by Bryon Williams Thu May 22, 2014 6:44 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners yarny77,

Thank you for posting the information. Did he use the same email address that is already posted?

The phone number is from Nigeria.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#202674 by mzjoymc Fri May 23, 2014 6:40 pm
HELP!! THE SCAMMER IN THIS POST IS USING MY NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS. I HAVE NO AFFILIATIONS WITH ANYONE LIVING, PAST OR PRESENT, IN AFRICA.
I FEEL THAT THIS IS SOME TYPE OF VENDICTIVE HAUX!
I DO NOT KNOW HOW THESE PEOPLE GOT MY FIRST NAME, OR FOUND OUT ABOUT MY PAST RELATIONSHIP WITH MY MILITARY HUSBAND..
PLEASE HELP!
#202675 by mzjoymc Fri May 23, 2014 6:45 pm
HELP!! THE PERSON MENTIONED IN THIS SCAM HAS STOLEN MY NAME! I WANT THEM FOUND AND MY NAME REMOVED FROM BEING ABLE TO BE GOOGLED TO THIS SITE.
I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF "ANYONE" LIVING IN AFRICA, AND HAVE NOT AUTHORIZED MY INFORMATION TO BE USED IN THIS MANNER.
I AM AT THE POINT OF CONTACTING LEGAL REPRESENTATION IF THIS ISSUE IS NOT RESOLVED IN A TIMELY MANNER.
PLEASE ADVISE!
#202677 by Bryon Williams Fri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm
@mzjoymc

You are saying the scammer is using your name and email address?
HELP!! THE SCAMMER IN THIS POST IS USING MY NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#202721 by mzjoymc Sat May 24, 2014 3:41 am
THEY ARE USING THE FIRST PORTION OF MOST OF MY EMAIL ADDRESS "MZMEIGS1". THEY ARE USING MY ENTIRE NAME WITH THE MISSPELLING OF MY FIRST NAME.
NOW EMBARRASINGLY SO, WHEN I GOOGLE MY NAME THIS SITE COMES UP ACCUSING ME OF BEING A "RENTAL SCAMMER."
i THINK THAT THIS INFORMATION MAY HAVE BEEN FICTICIOUSLY CREATED TO MAKE MY NAME LOOK BAD IN ENGINE SEARCHES, BY AN EX-PARTNER AND ONE OF HIS VENDICTIVE ASSOCIATES.
#202772 by Bryon Williams Sat May 24, 2014 2:42 pm
@mzjoymc,

We're sorry to see that a scammer is using a name partially mispelled for his scams,

Because scammers copy information from real profiles online, we often hear from people whose names are being misused. Unfortunately, it happens constantly. The names and photos listed on our site are all names used by scammers (not the real names of the scammers), many of them belonging to innocent people.

Please understand that it is to your advantage to have the name remain, since the scammer IS using your name. If someone were to do a search, it is better that they find the info showing that you are a victim, as without it they may assume you are the actual scammer.

The emails were sent using a provider that strips the email address of the sender so we can't be too sure of where they originated from. However, on this occasion, the grammar used and phone number indicates that they are sent from West Africa, where a lot of these scams come from.

THEY ARE USING THE FIRST PORTION OF MOST OF MY EMAIL ADDRESS "MZMEIGS1". THEY ARE USING MY ENTIRE NAME WITH THE MISSPELLING OF MY FIRST NAME.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. Unfortunately I can not remove the information. Nothing is exactly like your email address and name. Secondly, this forum is about helping victims and providing information so they will not get scammed. Lastly, this thread is about assisting potential rental victims. Once again I am sorry that part of your name and email address is being used to scam others.

#202800 by AlanJones Sun May 25, 2014 3:28 am
I would hope that the FBI have more important things to do than listen to moans from people that someone is using a name and email address that is a bit like theirs.

Do you have a keyboard problem or do you always type in CAPS? I've come across a lot of people who do that - usually due to the keyboard in the Internet cafe in Lagos they are using.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.