Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#2009 by ybo Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:38 pm
Hi
There was a post on [email protected] a month ago from Anthony Barris looking to purchase a painting.
I am a photographer but I thought that he could be interested by my work so I did propose my web site.
I have copied and pasted the whole story email below and I wonder if this is a scam given the 'softness' and lack of technical questions as well as pricing in my dealing with Anthony Barris. What makes me wonder is that his email mentions [email protected]. If I do a search on mukhela I find a lot of entries about an anthony mukhela that seems to be a scam.
Would somebody knows anything about Anthony Barris living in CT or anthony mukhela ? The address is in the email. I did try to find something in the person search on Anthony Barris but nothing came back...
Here is below copy of the email with all the historic. It starts at the bottom and goes up until yesterday.
Thank you in advance.

=================

Thank you so much for your reply. Please expect my payment soon and i will notify you once it is mailed out.

yves <yves> wrote:
Marina del Rey, Friday, August 31, 2007

To the attention of Mr... Anthony Barris

Dear Sir.

First I want to thank you for your order and you interest in my work

As per you request in your email, I provide you with a final estimate for the printing, mounting, framing and shipping / insurance for two photographic artworks that you have selected from the Death Valley series exposed on my web site.

I attach to the present email 3 documents in pdf format for you to read.

One is my invoice for the printing of the two photos that you have selected and for which you can establish a check of the amount of $470.52 (340.52 plus $130 provision for shipping and insurance) to: ybdigitals and publishing, llc. 14025 Panay Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292.

The 5% taxes that are applied on the invoice is specific to the county of Marina del Rey and have to be applied to all transactions including out of state sales.

Framing
Two other documents are final quotation by two framing services from which you can select one for the framing of the artworks.

The difference between the two is as follow. The Universal Art Gallery is a very large framer here in LA. They are ‘industrial’ framing in that they provide relatively non expensive framing with standard material. They do a good work in general and I use them for budget reasons.

The second quotation is from Tarrant Sheldon. Mr.. Sheldon used the be the director of the framing department at Getty Foundation. He is retired now and does framing from me since 8 years. I use his services when I want to deliver museum grade framing.

I propose that you choose one or the other and establish a check to the name of the framer you want to use for your artwork. The main reason is that you will not be charged with the sales taxes as you are out of the state client.

If I have to pay the frame locally then I would have to charge you back in addition the taxes I would have to pay.

Both of the services I propose you for the framing are highly professional and deliver top of the line products.

Shipping and Insurances.
Regarding the shipping and insurance. UPS and FEDEX will be able to provide the exact costs at the time of shipping. They do not want to provide any estimate at this time given that on their side the quotation must be done on the existing package. So from their suggestion I will charge you a provision of $130 covering shipping and insurance. Once I do the shipping and I have the final cost, I will refund you the difference.

Warranty
The works that have been printed for you are warranted for the duration of one year against printing and paper defect. If during that period the original colors happen to fade or change in tonality in regards to the original master document, then I will replace the defective print with a new print at no cost.

The warranty is based on the condition that the artworks have not been exposed to direct sun or in an environment that carries high degrees of humidity and or chemicals.

I hope to have covered here all the elements of our transaction and I stay at your disposition for any additional information you would need.

Below is a table with the totals following your selection of a framing services.

I thank you very much for your order.

Sincerely yours

Yves Bodson

Estimation details

Total no taxes S & I Total
ybdigitals invoice $ 340.52

Framing cost by /Universal Frame gallery $ 605.43 $ 945.95 $130.00 $1,075.95
Framing cost by Sheldon Tarrant $ 780.00 $ 1,120.52 $130.00 $1,250.52

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:20 PM
To: yves
Subject: RE: i need a painting

Yes,Insurance is good and i need you to have that added the cost and mail me the final quotation by tomorrow

yves <yves> wrote:
Hello Anthony

Thanks you very much for your order.
I will send you a final quotation early tomorrow when I have the exact cost for the framing as well as the weight for the shipping.
Regarding shipping I usually use UPS ground but you may decide for FEDEX or the postal service. Let me know please.
Regarding the framing what type of wood would you like. For most of my work, my clients choose a museum grade framing that is a silky black frame, 1.25" wide.
That type of frame fits very well the photography and any home interior.
The matte is white and acid free. The print is on heavy photo paper semi gloss and I use archival ink for the printing on an Epson 9600 printer.
Last question before shipping. Usually I propose to my clients to insure the shipping. Once I know the shipping costs I will be able to confirm you the cost of insurance and you may decide if you want to insure the shipping.
I want to thank you again for your order and I will make sure that you receive your order in the best conditions.
If you need additional information please don't hesitate to contact me or call me at 310 699 8409
Sincerely yours
Yves Bodson

Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:48 AM

Yves,
Thank you so much for your reply,i really do appreciate the concern. I have been abloe to navigate the site and explore it well. I think i will have to ignore the Maina Tour cos it's more of pictures and i don't think i want that. I have been able to select these two unique images from the Death Valley ( Pano - _YBO8508 - 8127x3912 - Death_Valley - Blended Layer.jpg and Pano - _YBO849602490_Death_Valley_Landscape_4_ - 9048x4196 - PS6N - Blended Layer.jpg ) The Death Valley Expresses what i really want in the Photography.
In will appreciate if these two could be made into 25 by 20 framed and Mounted like you described. I need to know how long these will take you to get done. In your reply,please estimate the Total Cost ( Actual Cost + Shipment to 25 Hill Street,2nd Floor,Torrington,Ct 06790, plus framing cost ) and get back to me with the Name. Address and a Phone Number so that a Certifed Check could be made out to you for payment. PLS REPLY

yves <yves> wrote:
Hello Anthony
Thank you for your interests regarding my work.
As I do custom photography and printing I will need some precisions from you.
What is the maximum width and height you plan on using for your work? That means the maximum space that the artwork will occupy taking in account that you will reserve free space around I suppose. From these dimensions I can backward suggest precise dimensions for a work.
I will anyway try to provide you with some practical information. An original photograph printed on semi gloss photo paper, weighting 260mil will cost $46,70 per sq ft. That means that an artwork of 18 inches wide by 12 inches tall with a printed area of 13 inches wide by 9 inches tall will cost $70.05
To that price you will have to add $48 for mounting and matting making the artwork ready to be framed.
I would like to suggest that I ship to you the artwork matted, leaving to your the choice of the framing by a local framer. That will also reduce the shipping costs.
If I ship you UPS the artwork matted in the dimensions I have proposed above as an example, it is estimated to cost around $52 to ship to your address.
If you wish me to have the artwork framed by a local framer then the shipping is estimated to $170.
These estimates are provided to help you evaluate the amount you wish to invest in an original printed photography.
If you decide on more specific dimensions then I will be able to provide you with a final quotation.
You mention your interest in regards to two collections I have on my web site. The Marina Tour and Death Valley. Can you help me in telling me more precisely which photo you would like from these collections?
I suppose that when visiting my web site, have you been able to browse the collections of photos that are inside of the Death Valley and Marina Tour? When you decide of which photo you want to be printed please can you provide the file name that is visible below the photo itself. What is important to me is the number, like for example this one "YBO849602490" that is part of the file name. With that number I can securely retrieve the right photo for you.
I can call you if you wish so as to help you with your final selection.
The delays are three days for production and probably 3 to four days for shipping depending the service you will select.
I am at your disposition for any additional information you may need.
I am looking forward to working with you in delivering a unique original work of art.
If needed my phone number is 310 699 8409
Sincerely yours
Yves Bodson

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:50 AM

Hello yves,
Thank you so much for the reply and sorry for the late response as i have been so busy with work. Please can i know the price of the Death Valley and Marina Tour. Is the price inclusive of shippment? If not please estimate the cost of shippment of the painting to 25 Hill Street,2nd Floor,Torrington, Ct 06790. Thank you and i hope to hear from you very soon.

Anthony

yves <yves> wrote:
Hello Anthony
Well reading your email it is not simple to propose a specific work that would please you or fit in your environment.
I do extreme photography with delivering very wide visual spaces. You can see on my web site a series of samples of photography I do.
From there you can select one that would please you and fit in your environment decoration.
The price for a mounted matted 23 inches wide by 14 inches tall is $220. To that you have to add a frame following you liking.
It is possible to have my work in custom sizes and if you provide me with precise dimensions I can give you a final price.
All my artworks are original and unique. Meaning that I do not reproduce beyond one copy.
You are welcome to visit my studio in Marina del Rey, CA at Float gallery project, 14025 Panay Way, Marina del Rey.
I am at your disposition for any additional info you would need.
Sincerely yours
Yves Bodson

Link to my web site: http://www.ybdigitals.com/

Link to the float gallery where I promote digital artists: http://www.ybdigitals.com/Floatgallery/ ... llery.html

Death Valley is a great location for shooting: http://www.ybdigitals.com/Floatgallery/death_valley.htm

This series is more of a showcase for my technique of panorama http://www.ybdigitals.com/Floatgallery/ ... aneous.htm

Here I show older works but still good to look at; http://www.ybdigitals.com/Floatgallery/panoramas.htm

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 11:35 AM
To: (list of email addresses snipped so that spammers/scmmers dont collect them - SP)
Subject: i need a painting

Hey,
Good day to you. I just moved inn to my new apartment and i need an artwork or any other form of art i could display on the wall for decoration. I would be glad if you could within your professional capacity recommend a painting or artwork or any form of artwork which could serve this purpose.I am considering a budget range of between $500-$950 exclusive of shippment cost. I would be gald if could get back to me very soon. Thank you ,i hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Anthony.
Advertisement

#2013 by Scam Patroller Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:55 pm
Hi Ybo, yes, that is a scam, the address has been used in another art scam, see the 25 Hill Street,2nd Floor,Torrington,Ct 06790 address used on this page:

http://alexnorden.com/blog/

Whoohoo! Thank you mighty Intertron! I just got my first Nigerian Scam 411 Email targeted at photographers!

This one is for the records kids! Read this bullsh*t! I'm going to email this guy back and see if I can scam the scammer!

----------------------
Hello Photographer,
It’s my pleasure to introduce myself to you. I am Raymond Erick a business man based here in Torrington, Connecticut. I’ll like to know if you will be available to cover some events for me. At first, I have this magazine which is yet to be launched to the United Kingdom and other European countries and I have just recruited some female models that will feature in the magazines front and back cover.
The female models have been invited to my office on the 11th of August for a photographic shoot. Please, I’ll like to know if you will be available for the photography.
Also,It's my 10 years of weeding anniversary and i and my wfe Anita have choosen to celebrate it in a big form. May i know the type of service(s) you offer for events of this nature. The day has been choose and it's August 9. Your flight cost,hotel reservation and provision for picking you from the airport straight to the venue ( 25 Hill Street,2nd Floor,Torrington,Ct 06790 ) will be provided.Please get back to me as soon as possible okay. Thank you.

Raymond

And some of the comments from others who had the same email, but from a different name:

http://alexnorden.com/blog/comments.php ... 718-110542

The scammer has just given you a random address, and has no intention of receiving the pictures, he will send you a fake check, except that the check will be made out for a lot more than the value of the paintings, he will then ask you to send back the difference via Western Union.

Can you post the full headers from his email, please? that will give us his IP address and we can tell you which country he is mailing you from.

[edit]

He is also a room mates scammer, this is his profile:

http://roompals.com/roommatefinder/room ... 10942.html

Note his 2 photos on that page, I thought they looked like a male model, so I had a look on the Hawaii model agency website, and yes, he stole them from this agency page where both of them are displayed:

http://www.focusagencyhawaii.com/view_male_models.htm

That Hawaiian model agency is used a lot by scammers, mostly in romance scams, but also to make their profile look good on any site.

I have sent an email to Room Pals concerning the scammers profile on their site.

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org

#2024 by The Man Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:24 am
SP: Great bit of research!

Also I found this:

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtop ... &view=next

While not directly on point when you search the actual name revealed in the e-mail this is what you get back. That was enough to start alarm bells for me before I read SP's post, which as always gives the best answer :)

---
The Man
#2028 by ybo Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:27 am
Thank you guys for your help.
I had done some search but could not come with anything regarding the name or location so this is why I did dig deeper and came on this site.
I was not confident about that whole business but who knows"?
thanks again
Yves
#2029 by ybo Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:31 am
Here is the header from his first email to me

=============================
Received: (qmail 9456 invoked from network); 24 Aug 2007 18:34:48 -0000
Received: from pre-smtp16-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ([64.202.166.70])
(envelope-sender <anthony_mukhela>)
by smtp05-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP
for <yves>; 24 Aug 2007 18:34:48 -0000
Received: (qmail 2449 invoked from network); 24 Aug 2007 18:34:48 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO web51302.mail.re2.yahoo.com) ([206.190.38.168])
(envelope-sender <anthony_mukhela>)
by pre-smtp16-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP
for <yves>; 24 Aug 2007 18:34:48 -0000
Received: (qmail 33266 invoked by uid 60001); 24 Aug 2007 18:34:47 -0000
Domain key removed to prevent forum blowout - SP
Received: from [81.154.6.31] by web51302.mail.re2.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:34:47 PDT
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:34:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: i need a painting
To: List of email addies removed - SP

#2030 by Scam Patroller Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:02 pm
Hi Ybo, that email was sent to you from the IP address 81.154.6.31, which shows that the scammer is based in the UK, there are quite a few African scammers based here and this is a typical scam they try to pull regularly:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=81.154.6.31

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org
#2034 by ybo Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:06 pm
Ok thanks
I followed the link and got some interesting, to me, insights of the internet I did not know about..
Anyway that makes the Internet unsafe... We should use the 'old' system with these people, send them some gorillas with a inron rod... :-)
Thank you again for the good work.
yves
#2047 by ybo Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:20 pm
From the ip address, is it possible to locate the origin of the emails?
Also is it ok if I mention this thread on [email protected] ? So that other artists will be aware of this scam.
Thanks
Yves
#2049 by The Man Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:25 pm
ybo wrote:From the ip address, is it possible to locate the origin of the emails?
Also is it ok if I mention this thread on [email protected] ? So that other artists will be aware of this scam.
Thanks
Yves

It is possible to get an idea of where the e-mail originated, depending on what e-mail provider they are using. For example from yahoo it is possible, but from gmail it is not.

Yes please mention this on your discussion group. Point your friends/associates to this web site so if they suspect a fraud they can check us out too!

---
The Man