Room for Rent and other rental scams
#204503 by may-may Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:33 am
I was looking for a room on the web site easy roommate. A girl wrote to me by e mail and told me she had a room to rent. She gave me also her skype contact so that we could chat. She helped me to find out a good school where i could study and improve my english. She was very kind. One day she told me "you have to pay by money transfer and than I'll send you the apartment's keys" she also sent to me a lease agreement. I asked her a copy of her ID or passport. She sent it to me and also the lease agreement signed. I payed... After that she told me I didn't pay the right amount and she demanded more money. I told her "I can't pay more". I wrote her a lots of times. sometimes she answers by saying that her mom wants more money to send me the keyes. I see her all the time on line on skype. What can i do?? Please help.
Advertisement

#204508 by Terminator5 Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:48 am
You should report it to your local law enforcement . This is a common rental scam . It would also be helpful if you could post the emails and the email headers from this scam . Usually the scammer is located in another country and its nearly impossible to get your money back . You can post the emails here in an effort to warn others .

Daniel 8 :25
#204515 by vonpaso xlura Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 pm
Also, if there's any website involved, please post it here. We've been killing a lot of Track your Keys sites lately.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#204539 by Dotti Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:25 pm
Just to clarify one point: The person whose ID/passport you received is almost certainly not involved in the scam in any way.

Scammers like this simply convince victims to send scans of their ID's or passports, claiming that they need them in order to do business. They then turn around and use those ID/passport scans on other victims. So the person whose name and photo is being used is most likely another victim (or near victim) who sent the scan to the criminal, thinking she was going to rent a room from this fraudster as well.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#204540 by may-may Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:44 pm
the address is [email protected]

Good morning to you!

I am sorry it has taken a while before I replied or sent this message, I have so many people interested, hence so many emails to reply in a day and it is quite stressful considering the fact that I have a job that stresses me already. :) heheheheee. Know it or not, we have started on an interesting journey. We might eventually turn out to be flatmates and maybe not but please I would really appreciate if you would be straightforward with me and be ready and serious and not be a timewaster. I stay in a three bedroom apartment owned by my parents and I am looking at renting either one or two of the rooms, one of the rooms is occupied by me. My name is Marie, born in Sheffield in the United Kingdom and I'll be 23 this November. I just started work as a trainee medical examiner with the United Nations and I have been privileged to travel to some countries with my group and my team to assist people in some countries. Have you had any experiences in a shared apartment? Tell me more about yourself so I can get to know you better? but first, let me also tell you more about my apartment and the rooms I have for rent. I am looking at renting the place out very soon to someone, so, a clear and proper introduction and reply would really be nice.

About my apartment and the rooms, the rooms are quite big and spacious and they both have a small fridge in the room, you would also be entitled to unlimited access to use the Kitchen and a bigger freezer in the kitchen. All the rooms are fully furnished and comes with a Television set with Cable TV available. Phone cord, Internet WIFI (Wireless), A big double bed, private bath and toilet in each rooms, Car parking space and Laundry room for washing also available for use.

Rent is 400euro and it also contains the cost of the utilities; that means you are not required, after paying for your rent, to make any additional payments in the running of the apartment. You will also pay for a security deposit of 600euro. This security deposit is just a caution fee and will be returned to you when you want to move out of the apartment, okay? You are allowed to bring in visitors and guests and if they want to sleep over, you will need to tell me first okay?

My House Address: 11 Clare St, Dublin 2; and it is just 5 minutes walk from the Transit. Shops and restaurants are close by too.

So, tell me more about yourself and also GOOGLE the location of my house and let me know if the location suits you and if this is okay for you in terms of distance from your work or school or closeness to the city center.

Looking forward to hearing from you so that I can send you the pictures of my apartment and the room and we can proceed to the tenement agreement contract and also getting keys for you to move in,

Thanks,

Marie

I sent my answer

Dear ,

Thanks for your mail. It is alright. I am pleased to meet you. Okay,so, we may proceed as I am very comfortable sharing my apartment and also renting the room to you. You may stop searching for another room now because I have decided to accept you as my flatmate. Let me know, how many rooms do you want to rent? You know I have two for rent, right? I am very excited because I did not think I would find someone so soon, but it is alright, Good things are bound to happen when people are straighforward. I have been renting my room for a while now and I am very much used to it and I have never had any problem. :) This is the final stage because after you send your contract preparation details, we can proceed to the contract signing and eventually, payment confirmation and keys and rent receipt sending. :)

For us to proceed, there are simple and easy steps. Next is for us to proceed to the rent agreement document, now for the rent contract to be prepared, my family lawyer has asked that you send in the following details:

- Your full name
- Your Move in Date and Move out Date (How long you want the contract to last)
- Scanned ID or Passport for identification
- Your address where you want me to send the keys and the rent receipt and the documents to you after you have made payment.

As soon as I get these details, I will send it to my lawyer and he shall begin the preparation of the rent agreement document. We can chat; Add me on skype so we can chat, my skype ID is: doublemarphy

I am glad we have reach this and am sure we would make good flatmates. I have attached the pictures of my apartment and also the room you will be staying in so you can have a clearer view of it, I will be waiting to receive the contract details my lawyer asked so that we can proceed to contract preparation, payment and sending of keys,

Cheers,

Marie Murphy

i answered
Hi Marie,
i have a request if for you is ok, I have a friend who lives nearby, is it ok for you if he comes just to have a look to the room? It's just for a feedback.

Thanks,

Dear,
Like I tried to explain in my previous email, I am not around now but on an assignment with the United Nations and I just traveled with my work team. Meeting in person might not be possible BUT seeing the place is a certainty. You can go there and see it. When can you go and see it? Today? Tomorrow?

The thing is, I have the keys here. Okay? So, all you have to do is go to the house and see it. Once you have seen it tomorrow, from the outside, You will get back to me with your contract details.

Once you have seen it, We shall then proceed to the contract and when you get the contract and have read it, we can then proceed to payment and I will send the keys to you. It should get to you in less than 2 days. Add me up on skype so that we can get to talk more and meet on skype. My skype ID is: doublemarphy

Get back to me soonest,

Marie

Dear,

I have received your details and I have now forwarded it to my family lawyer. Everything is okay! I will wait for the contract back and when I get it, I will send it to you alongside the payment instruction so that you can go ahead and make payment for your confirmation, okay?

Have a great weekend and talk to you soon,

Your flatmate,

Marie

Dear,
This is the rental agreement which I will advice you to read very well because this is what will constitute the basis of our contract. After reading this and you are okay with the terms and conditions, then you can proceed with payment. Just so my mother can get the money sooner, you are to send the money by money transfer. She would be able to get the money with her passport. I have been able to search for agents where you can go and send the money from and they are:

When you get there, go to the western union desk, ask for a money transfer form. The details of my mother you need to send the money are:

Name: Helene Murphy
Address: 12 Landzheronivska Street, Odessa 65026, Ukraine.

Let me have the following after transferring the payment:

1: A Scanned copy of the transfer receipt
2. The amount sent

You are expected to print the contract and sign on the last page of the contract. When you have signed, send the scan copy of the signed contract and also the payment receipt via email and remember you are also to bring it along with you when coming to move in here, and then, we have a contract in force.

Waiting to read from you,

Your flatmate,
Marie Murphy

i have pictures too