Room for Rent and other rental scams
#205026 by Michelle Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:39 am
2014-06-07 22:10 GMT+02:00 Jennifer Cole <[email protected]>:
Dear Michelle

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. The flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calendar month is ?500 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet} also Security deposit of ?500 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you. Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in London and do you have a landline number in which i can reach you? i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

Best Regards,
Mr/Mrs Cole

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#205649 by martitka Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:33 pm
Jennifer Cole ([email protected])

To: Removed (BW)
ZIP (79,8 KB)
1.jpg (20,4 KB) , 2.jpg (13,4 KB) , 3.jpg (18,1 KB) , 4.jpg (15,7 KB) , 5.jpg (12,2 KB)

Dear Removed (BW),

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. The flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calendar month is £500 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet} also Security deposit of £500 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you. Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in London and do you have a land-line number in which i can reach you? i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

Best Regards,
Mr/Mrs Cole
#207372 by Michelle Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 am
[email protected]

Michelle

Thanks for the swift reply. I am willing to have you in my flat as long as you want after the viewing. It is unfortunate that my past experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their seriousness and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who lives close by, also some do not meet up with the appointments.

Henceforth, my solicitor and i have decided to carry out a simple test on seriousness and financial ability to pay for the rent before coming for viewing. I am not asking you to pay before the viewing but at least, one month rent together with the security deposit of £500 which is refundable would be required from you to transfer to someone close to you through Western Union Money Transfer agent using your name as the Sender and your friend or family member's name as the Receiver in the UK premises.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will forward it to my solicitor to verify if it's truly genuine and available. Note that the transfer must be confirmed valid before the receiver pick up the money, after verification, i will ask you to inform the receiver to go and pick up the transfer and i will refund the transfer charges immediately after the viewing.

Kindly let me know if my explanation is well understood. Have a wonderful time.

Best Regards
Mr/Mrs Cole
+447024079502
Facebook: [email protected]