Room for Rent and other rental scams
#206978 by draconia111 Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:29 am
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have been desperately looking for apartments recently, and I believe I sent some sensitive information to a scammer....I feel really stupid now, but at least I was semi-suspicious and didn't give them everything exactly as they asked for.

They listed a house for rent and said they were away in Georgia on missionary work (they even put pictures of their family (probably fake now I relaize)). The email was really long and had some suspicious grammar mistakes. (GOD I should have known!) But anyways after a series of emails they finally sent their "application for rental form" which had some suspicious questions. They asked first for full name, and DOB. I did not give them my middle name (they would already know my first and last from my email anyways) and I did not give them my full DOB (just Month and Year, but not day). They also have my phone number, and a physical address, but the address is not linked to any of my personal accounts since I just moved there and it's not even my mailing address. I was suspicious already at this point and I really wish I had not sent ANY info, but I wanted to trust them. There were normal renter questions mixed in too.

However the dead giveaway was when they asked to get money wired to them before they sent keys or even let me see the inside of the place. That's when I was 100% sure it was a scam, so I said no way and haven't heard anything else from them.

I am really worried though about what they could do with the info I already gave them! Any advice, or would you say I didn't give enough for them to get accounts or steal my identity?

I am just really worried now, and I can't help but think about what they could be doing with the info I did give them. :(

Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement

#207004 by vonpaso xlura Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:28 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners!

They are probably in a faraway country and not trying to commit identity theft. Please post the emails, in case anyone else targeted by the same scammer is searching for text. Also there may be a fake website for us to kill.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#207014 by HillBilly Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:24 pm
chances are real good they can't or won't do anything with your personal information. If, however it bothers you a lot, you can set up an alert for your own information here :
http://www.google.com/alerts Just put in the info ( Often in quotes for exact queries) and choose your delivery options.

Its a good idea to know what information about you is on the internet, anyhow. You might find some things that surprise you ( both good and not so good).