Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#194239 by TerranceBoyce Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 am
Welcome to Scamwarners Sophia1991.

He can't do anything very malicious but yes you'll probably start getting spam and scam mails to the email address you've divulged to him. Watch out for those with attachments and don't ever click on links or open any attachments.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#194241 by Sophia1991 Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 am
thanks for your quick response and welcome. i will try block his email address and any scam mails i get through. is my paypal safe at this stage? stupid scammers. i just want to reply to them telling them to eff off! Lol
#194567 by AFigi Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 am
Chalk me up to another person receiving these messages :roll: ...I recently posted my car for sale in AutoTrader and received a text message asking if I still had the car and if so to please send an email to "[email protected] of which I did and then I received basically the same reply that everyone has been posting about...Glad I checked this out and definitely wanted to share for more people to be aware of yet another email address as well as the text message as a bait. GRRR :bondage: [email protected] **BLOCK THIS PERSON'S EMAIL ADDRESS**
#194568 by AFigi Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:47 am
AFigi wrote:Chalk me up to another person receiving these messages :roll: ...I recently posted my car for sale in AutoTrader and received a text message from 920-245-3758 asking if I still had the car and if so to please send an email to "[email protected] of which I did and then I received basically the same reply that everyone has been posting about.."......I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, ......" Glad I checked this out and definitely wanted to share for more people to be aware of yet another email address as well as the cell phone number and text message as bait. GRRR :bondage: [email protected] **BLOCK THIS PERSON'S EMAIL ADDRESS**
#195095 by Caurus Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 am
Hi All,

Just been targetted by this myself, look out for Abella Davies, [email protected]:

[i]I'm set to send the money but I need to clarify an issue at hand.

The agent needs upfront payment to register the delivery, so I will add £220 to the payment. I just tried sending it through western union website but it didn't go through, so you'll help send £200 to the agent at a western union shop and use £20 for western union charges. I will send £770 to the paypal now and message you once it's done.

Regards

Abella[/i]

Then I got this:

Abella E Davies sent you a payment of £770.00 GBP through PayPal.

Abella E Davies is a verified Paypal user.

and finally:

Dear Caurus Guitar,

As mentioned in the payment receipt and as per new PayPal merchandise policy.
The total sum of £770.00 GBP has been deducted from the buyer's account which includes the courier agent's fee.

To facilitate and complete this transaction, you need to send the sum of £200.00 GBP to the courier agent via Western Union Money Transfer as requested.

Send the below information to us as soon as you send the requested amount via Western Union Money Transfer.

- Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
- Total Amount Sent
- Sender's Name and Address
- Receiver's Name and Address

Send the above information to our help desk department to verify and process this transaction by [email protected]

NOTE

The fund will not be shown on your account, so your account will be credited accordingly upon receipt of the Western Union Money Transfer payment.

Questions? Contact our help desk department by [email protected]

This is done to protect both Seller and Buyer from fraudulent activities, also to make PayPal a safer way for buying and selling.

All information provided will be used in accordance with PayPal’s Privacy Policy.

We appreciate your co-operation and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely
The PayPal Team
#202039 by Realaw2 Sun May 18, 2014 10:59 pm
OK here's mine, its a long one!

1st Got the following text to the cell number I posted on Autotrader.com:
Hello, am interested in your vehicle on AUTOTRADER, if still available reply to my email ([email protected]) with the ENGINE pics or video.John

When I email our good friend "John" (totally forgetting to tell him about satellite phones) telling him the pics are on Autotrader.com I get the following:
Thanks for getting back to me! Can you assure me that there won't be
any problems with the car once it's purchased? I'm wanting to get the
car as a birthday gift for my dad, and I'm ready to pay asking price.
I'm currently on contract overseas for an oceanography company for the
next few months, so my connectivity is limited and I can't meet you in
person. We don't have any cell service since we are out in the middle
of the ocean, and I'm lucky to even get internet. It's
really...really...slow.
What I can do is pay via PayPal, if this is an option that works for
you. I know that they charge a 3% fee, so I'm willing to pay the fee
as well so you don't get charged anything extra. PayPal usually is
fast and it's secure. If you don't have an account, it's pretty easy
too open one. Just sign up, and it'll explain everything you need to
do.

I want to do the transaction fairly quickly because my dad's birthday
is approaching. I know he'll love the car. He is a mechanic, so if
there is anything wrong with the car, just let me know, and I'll tell
him so he can be ready to fix it when the car arrives.Also - I have a
mover that can come and get it and can handle the title for me, so you
don't have to worry about that. Let me know your thoughts, and if
you're ready to move forward, just fill out the info below so I can
work everything out!

PayPal Email:
Full Name:
Firm Price:
Zip Code:
Cell Phone Number

Thanks so much!
John

So any info you can offer is appreciated!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
#202203 by johnny.and.joe Tue May 20, 2014 3:27 am
Hi all, this is my maiden forum post - unfortunately its to let everyone know a different version of the same scam.
Like everyone else, I posted my car on Autotrader and immediately got a text from 'Alan' asking me to email him.
This was the reply to my first email:

just wanted to make sure nothing has been left out
What is your final asking price and do you have a PayPal account,as i will be paying the with PayPal and have pick up done from your location as i am away at the moment.In the meantime,can you send me more pictures?
Regards
Alan

Then the standard line eventually comes:
Before i make the payment,there is something i need you to be aware of,i was notified the shipping company that will be in charge of the pick up.They are saying i need to pay them their fees which is $1500 before they proceed with coming for it and the only form of payment that they accept is WU Money Transfer.Where i am,the nearest union office is 8hrs where i am overseas,I dont know if it will be ok,if i include this agent's fees in the payment i will be sending you now,so on receipt of the total funds,you will remove the additional funds of $1500 and help me send it at your local WU office.Let me know if this is ok and i will proceed with the payment.

This person uses the name ALAN STONE : [email protected]
The "PAYPAL" emails originate from [email protected] but show a fake address of [email protected].

Thanks everyone.
#207233 by Ellie1234 Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:46 am
This is on EBay too!

My mums selling her car and they sent me the exact same messages. They even threatened us with the police!!! What cheek! Fortunately, we rang PayPal! Were reporting it to the police. Look out for these email addresses : -
[email protected]
[email protected]
A Mary Dawson and this :
Name: Arnold Harrison
Address: Sint-hubertusplein 11 Runkst
City: Genk
Zip Code: 3500

Thank god they were stupid enough to email me and not my mum. :oh-joy:
#209863 by cpertusi Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 pm
Just registered an account to post this for an FYI to everyone that is selling a vehicle on autotrader . I posted an ad for my vehicle and about an hour later i get a text message from 6029048853 asking to send a video or picture. Once i do i get the following email

Daniel Cassidy
To Me
Today at 1:30 PM
Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be
disappointed if i buy this Vehicle as a Birthday gift for my brother?
as I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because
I'm an Oceanographer and i am presently on a contract which will end
in couple of months.My only means of payment is PayPal,its safe fast
and secure and i will be responsible for the paypal transaction
charges so you can get your expected amount.If you don't have a paypal
account,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to http://www.paypal.com and
brother's birthday is fast approaching. I have a mover that will come
for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle
the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information
below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup:

Thanks.

Daniel.

I'm pretty sure this is a scam as it follows the same template from the ones i have seen here. The email it came from is [email protected]. Good luck everyone with your sales
#210392 by spencerg Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 am
I have had the same thing on PISTONHEADS over the last couple of days. I have reported it to the police, the website and payapl.

DO NOT SEND ANY FORM OF MONEY TO THEM

They were using the excuse that they had just had an operation and therefore would need to have the car sent to them via an external agency (which they said they would cover by sending additional money over paypal).

Mary Dawson was the contact

The details of where they wanted me to send the money are below.
First Name: Arnold
Surname: Harrison
Address: Sint-hubertusplein 11 Runkst.
#210395 by Bryon Williams Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:26 am
Welcome to Scamwarners spencerg,

What was the email address of text number used?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#211302 by Gullible2014 Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 pm
Here is another name to look for:"Mark Thompson"
The following are the emails from Mark to me. I have his phone# below. Watch out!!!!
Thank God I didn't get ripped off. :yikes:

Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto http://www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.
Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:
Cheers,
Mark Thompson
[email protected]

You are to send the funds to the shipping agent via western union and email the receipt to PayPal for confirmation and verification, the agent number is :yikes: 610-268-7372, The agent is a registered PayPal agent and I am following instructions from PayPal to let him handle the pick up, so you can call him for any assistance, Kindly get back to me when you are done with the money transfer, all you need to do now is send the money to the shipping address given to you by PayPal and email the receipt back to PayPal for confirmation and verification to get the total money credited immediately. I hope to read from you soon.

Do not send any money to any transport company except the Agent address given to you by PayPal. Pay to the address of the mover given to you by PayPal and email the details of the payment to PayPal for confirmation and verification to get the whole money into your account. I hope to read from you soon later today.

PayPal forwarded this message to me this morning when I ask them what is going on with my money and where you are to send the money to, I receive a mail from them that you are to follow this steps. I hope to read from you soon. Kindly email the receipt of the payment to confirm and verify your payment.

Mark.
PayPal

Thank you for using PayPal, You are to send the money via western union to the address below as you asked. Kindly email the payment details or the receipt to us for confirmation and verification to get the total money credited immediately to your account. We urge you to please get back to us as soon as possible.

Below is the name and address of the shipping agent where the $950.00 USD would be sent to via Western Union Money Transfer.

Transport Company
A.H AGENTS"

Address:
Name: Angela Michelle Forte
Address: 42 morgenthau dr,
City: Lakeland
State: Florida
Zip code:33813
Address Status:Confirmed
#215149 by Tommytrubbs Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:51 pm
I've just had the same scam as mentioned above.

The person interested was Becky Wright ([email protected]) who couldn't come to see the car as she was recovering from surgery.

She had to arrange a collection agent and then tried to pull the Western Union thing (always associate them with scams for some reason).

I sent the money £3900 to the paypal under "*********". The delivery agent info to send the £360 to their home office today is listed below.

First Name: Arnold

Surname: Harrison

Address: Sint-hubertusplein 11 Runkst.