Room for Rent and other rental scams
#207256 by gizmogirl85 Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:49 pm
These are the messages I've received by email after replying to a Kijiji ad for an apartment in Belleville, Ontario on Dundas Street West. Other posters have been sent the same exact messages except he goes by different names and uses different email addresses. With me he used the name of Michael Fallon using email of [email protected].

"I'm glad to hear from you and I appreciate your interest!

Please, check your attached file, I attached a few pictures of the
place, just so you can have a better idea of what it looks like.

I'll give you some details about my property, because I'm not
looking to make a business or a profit with it, I just want to find
the proper tenant, someone who will treat and care my home, like it
was his home.
My name is Michael Fallon, I'm the owner, I love this place, it
means a lot to me.. It has been professionally finished and decorated
with a modern color scheme that coordinates throughout.. it looks
exactly like in the pictures, totally finished, fully furnished and I
have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want
to bring your own, no extra costs!
It has all the facilities and the utilities: washing machine,
dishwasher, dryer, refrigerator, stove, oven, juice machine, iron,
toaster, coffee maker, microwave, vacuum cleaner, never used stainless
steel, everything you need! Bright windows with a fresh kitchen and
bathroom.

The lease is flexible, can be month to month, min stay 3 month - max
5/6 years. The rent for 1 month is $749. The price will not increase
monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the
contract will be signed for.
The all utilities are included in this price (rent/month). No extra
fees! It means: water, electricity, gas, cable and Internet.
About pets.. there are no problems if you have pets, as long as you
clean up after them!

So, I want this rental to be as smooth as possible, I really need to
take care of this matter by the end of the next week.. I am looking
forward to hear from you, to send you all the details, including
application form, too.

Don't miss out, I think is a good opportunity!

Thanks again

Regards,

Michael"

He will attach 6 images of an exceptionally furnished apartment, if you reverse image search each photo after downloading to your computer you will find many hits... in his other emails he will ask the folowing:

"Thank you for writing back!

Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, it's important to me to know some details about yourself, because I'll be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy!
Describe yourself if you are really interested, so I can have an idea about you and the people that will be living in my home. I'm very selective as to who I choose, I hope you understand me!

Here is a small example.

Present city / area? ___
Are you a tenant(s) currently? ___
Reason for leaving ___
Smoker? ___
What is the source of income you will pay rent with? ___
Reference? ___
When did you want to move in if successful? ___
A best guess as to how long of a term you will rent this unit for? ___
Also if you can send me a picture it will be nice, (not required to be sent)!

I have people who might be interested and I'll select a candidate out of the e-mails that I'll receive. Your rental applications will be processed in shortest time."

Afterwards he will say something along the lines of:

"You have a nice profile and I think you could be the new tenant.. Nice to meet you!

I would like to tell you a little bit about me and my family, I want to give you some insight into who I am.

I'm currently 39 years old and married. I'm very career focused and will be spending a lot of my time at the office. I work hard for my family. I'm a mature individual, very sincere, respectable and love friending new people. I'm a caring person who believes in taking good care of things!
My wife is speech language pathology, her name is Gabriella and we have one daughter, Nicola, that is 3 years old.
I inherited the apartment from my grandfather when he past away, I am from Rome, Italy, so I decided to rent it.

This is the second time I tried to rent the apartment, I had a deal with somebody before who said he will rent it if I come there.. So I got a plane ticket, and guess what!? When I arrived there, he didn't show up and after 2 days he gave me a call and said that he is sorry but he can't rent it anymore, because he has no money.
It was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my apartment without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me.
So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally, but now I don't want to buy another plane ticket to come and fall for it once more... maybe you won't show up. I'm sick of tire-kickers, people who are just looking around and not serious about renting, so please don't waste my time... No offence!

I am the only person who has the keys, but I have a good solution if you are still interested.. You can have the keys in hands in less than 48 hours. I found a way to complete this rental safe and fast for the two of us.

Our very best,

Michael & Gabriella"

and attach 2 photos of him and his wife. Next up is asking for money, he's using a "middle man" company but still requires first months rent payment before keys can be delivered, claims he will not receive the payment until you return the paperwork but I can't verify if this is the case.

"I will try explain to you step by step how this will work, take a few moments and read my email carefully!

* The all utility bills will be redirected to me in Rome.
* If something will broke down after you moved, you are responsible, but the cost of repairs will be deducted from your rent.
* I would like to receive the money monthly into my bank account and I hope there will be no problem for you to wire the money to it.

Do you think a 2 days inspection period will suffice?

The apartment is ready, you just need to receive the keys to check it, and see if you can accept it. This rental will be managed by PhCargo | International Freight Forwarder.

Step # 1

In order to proceed, I need your shipping information:

First name _
Last name _
Address _
City _
Postal code _

Step # 2

With the information you'll provide me, I'll go at PhCargo office and I'll leave the keys and the contract in their possession to start the process. They will acts as a middle man between us.
The shipping will be done by PhCargo | International Air Transport | Door To Door.

PhCargo is a worldwide delivery company, a full service international freight forwarder, specializing in shipping commercial cargo from and to Italy by air and by ocean, (door-to-door service).
I used this company many times, and find they are helpful, polite, efficient and on time. I never had a problem! For more information, please checkout their website, www.DreamCargo.com

Here are the contents that will be delivered to you:

* Entrance and the rooms keys;
* Paper/permanent property form (Containing your reference details);
* The apartment documented file;
* Payment receipts;
* Address and description of the apartment.

Of course, we will need some way to go through this agreement, to allow us ensure that we get what we are expecting, because you can't send me the money directly with no protection and I must have a warranty to send you the keys, I hope you understand I can't just send the keys to anyone.

This is step # 3.

* The tenant must deposit at company's account, only first month of rent;

* They can proceed with the shipping and you'll receive the keys and the contract signed by me at your door in 48 hours;

* The agent will bring the keys in front of your door and then you have 2 days to go and see the apartment. After the inspection period you must give them an answer.

* In case you'll take it, you'll have to supply them a copy of the contract signed by you and they will release me the funds. The contract will be signed and filled in after you will check the apartment;

* If you don`t find it exactly as described, they will refund your money and the keys back to me. NOTE*** I'll get the deposit only if you decide to keep the apartment;

* PhCargo will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the keys, I'll pay for the services performed by the company, so there will not be any additional cost to you.

As soon as the package is in their custody, they will contact you with the all information... I'll await your quick response and I'll complete the transaction asap.

Our very best,

Michael & Gabriella"

When asked what the physical address is (was going to stop by the place and ensure it exists or that the person living there was aware of what was happening), he will provide an excuse about theft:

"This beautiful apartment is located in a lovely area, on Dundas Street West, in Belleville, ON, excellent location!

I can not give you the complete address, the apartment is full furnished, everything is new inside, there's no one who lives there, so please understand me! I'm afraid of thieves and I hope you understand the importance of safety when it comes to posting something of such value.

Due to theft from home, I will not give you this information. I do apologize for this but I hope you understand me.

The keys will be delivered to your door by a courier, you'll have to inspect the package and sign the receipt. I'll give him all you need to know regarding it: the keys, complete address and all the apartment's papers. You'll have enough time to inspect the apartment and all the area!

I'll instruct the agent to come after 5 PM, so we'll make sure that you get it. If you are not home at first, they will come back until they find you home. I don't think it's going to be any problem if someone else signs for it as long as someone is home."

Glad I looked into this! Had a bad feeling from the start.... oh and the reverse image search showed ads using the same images in Belleville, Toronto, and Sudbury, Ontario, and Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta. Most were kijiji ads for 1 and 2 bdrm units and houses and all have been removed. The one for Toronto, ON was from 2011 I believe from a website with OLX in the URL if I remember correctly.

I've attached the posting I found that had all images he used in the listing except for one pic of the bathroom which was from a listing from NZ or Austrailia I believe...
http://toronto.olx.ca/luxury-2-bedrooms ... -229603812
Advertisement

#207310 by Grammaj Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 pm
My grandchildren came close to falling for this after they answered an ad on Kijiji for an apartment in Calgary. Identical emails as those quoted here were sent to them regarding the property - a mythical apartment on 4th avenue between Center and 10th streets. Fortunately I smelled a rat and they didn't follow through.
#207312 by Grammaj Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 pm
Yes. Everything was identical, right down to Gabriella. Although it went a lot further than it should have because my granddaughter was so convinced it was genuine. When I told her to ask for an address of the apartment block and the name of the secretary of the condominium board so we could verify ownership he suddenly sent a message that the transaction was completed and someone would be showing up with a key and a package. Also told her to not communicate by phone but to use her computer from now on. I'm wondering is the penalty greater for defrauding over the phone lines? They are frightened now because this person has all their personal information.

This is what he sent after she asked for more information

I am pleased to inform you that I have completed the transaction.

The transaction was started today, the keys and the contract signed by me are in PhCargo custody. They have told me that they will contact you to your e-mail today with the instruction you will need to complete your end of the rental.

Please use a computer, because the phone won't load the images properly and you can't see the emails! Their people have told me that sometimes the emails can go to the Junk folder. Your email provider might misfile this mail as spam. Can you check it and look there too?

Thanks for understanding!

This beautiful apartment is located in a lovely area, on 4 Avenue Southwest in Calgary, AB T2P, excellent location!

I can not give you the complete address, the apartment is full furnished, everything is new inside, there's no one who lives there, so please understand me! I'm afraid of thieves and I hope you understand the importance of safety when it comes to posting something of such value.

Due to theft from home, I will not give you this information. I do apologize for this but I hope you understand me.

The courier has already all you need to know regarding it: the keys, complete address and all the apartment's papers. You'll have enough time to inspect the apartment and all the area!

I'm a respectable person, who is loving, caring and honest! I have a reputation to protect and a good Christian and I do not want to impress. Many people make promises and tend to not follow through... I'm here to NOT waste anyone's time. I am a very sincere, I don't have time to play games with other people.

I go to church twice a week, it's better to live on the streets than cheating people over the internet. I won't do this thing for anything in the world. I will be a fool to risk my freedom for some money!

As I mentioned before, I'm not trying to make a profit with the apartment, I do not do this for money! I just want to find someone who will keep it, as it looks now!

There's a lot of trust I am putting into you, I enjoy having you the new tenant, I liked a lot your profile and I think that my place will be in good hands.

Contact the company asap after you receive their information, to avoid any further delay and pay them the deposit for their immediate action. You should also let me know after you'll receive the keys!
#207313 by Bryon Williams Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 pm
If they sent you a website to track the keys please post it. We will need this to report the site for fraud.

Please post as much details you can. This will help others avoid this scam.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#207321 by Grammaj Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:04 pm
What was sent was instructions on how to make the payment in order to receive the keys.

This is the email: but I have deleted my granddaughters email information to protect her privacy.

Begin forwarded message:

From: PH CARGO - INTERNATIONAL FREIGHT FORWARDER < [email protected] >

Subject: Awaiting Payment - Transaction # 5S9PE2OTSQ1R

PhCargo
Benvenuti in Ph Cargo

PHSE ROMA SRL
VIA DELL'AGRICOLTURA 6
00065 - FIANO ROMANO (RM) ITALY
T.: 03 311539450
P.IVA 04176351213

The process for the completion of this transaction can be done in 2 simple steps.

The reason we are using this method for is faster order processing and better customer experience. Each of our agents takes responsibility of making sure that the orders are processed and shipped in the shortest time. This way, our customers have an updated status of their shipment at any time.

Step 1.
Locate the nearest Western Union or MoneyGram Office: Available here! or Available here!

Step 2.
Make the payment with cash using the PhCargo manager details:

First name
Fabian
Last name
Banam
Address
Via Dell' Agricoltura, 6
City/State
Fiano Romano (RM)
Postal code
Country
Italy

Fabian Banam takes responsibility for financial and accounting activities. Since joining companies in 2008, Fabian Banam has held a number of senior roles. He has led several financial projects and established sound commercial and financial control policies. In 2011, Fabian Banam was promoted to his current position.
With an approach that focuses on honesty, integrity and hard work, Fabian Banam has garnered a reputation for being there for her clients to help them achieve their goals. His clients' success is his success!

Once the payment was sent to our manager, contact us in the shortest time with the following information:

Reference number

Sender's name

Sender's surname

Sender's Country

Scanned receipt of payment
(Not required to be sent)

Amount sent in Euro (EUR)

After the payment is confirmed, the transaction starts and you will receive the package in 48 hours.

Note!
The transfer commission at Western Union or MoneyGram is around of 3%-7%. We provide you the useful advice, in case you are asked by their agent for the purpose of the transfer, you must specify that you send the money to our manager, because they charge an additional 10% for commercial purposes transfers.

PhCargo
Benvenuti in Ph Cargo

We have grown up in the shipping world: we are well aware that the needs of individuals and companies change from day to day. What we offer is not a single solution, but expert staff that have received specific training and a range of advanced services, ready to handle the unexpected and to cater to new needs.

This is not just our opinion. For a number of years PhCargo has been meeting customer satisfaction goals and complying with methods laid down by standard UNI EN ISO 9001. The meeting of these standards is assessed every year by a certifying authority, which passes judgement on the express courier service, the urban motorcycle courier service and the distribution of parcels.

We are a team of professionals always ready to assist you. All service information, quote requests, or questions about payment method are taken care of by by one of our agents at - [email protected] - we will be glad to give you as soon as possible and totally free, best answers!

International delivers your freight around the world ...

Phse srl
Via Dell' Agricoltura, 6
00065 Fiano Romano (RM) Italy
T.: 03 311539450
http://www.dreamcargo.com
P.IVA 04176351213

© Copyright PhCargo - Italy - 20025 Legnano - Via Niccolò Machiavelli, 10 - P.IVA 04176351213
#207378 by akl.93 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:37 am
This post just saved me! I had my suspisions. I thought to myself, why won't he call me? Why won't he meet up and show me the apartment? So I tried to find him on social media. Nothing. I finally looked up Michael Fallon Rome italy in google and this post came up. He posted this exact add on kijiji for downtown London, Ontario. He sent me those exact emails (I only got as far as his profile and family description). Thank god I didn't go through with this.
#207401 by tamwow19 Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:18 am
Thanks so much for this post! I knew something was fishy when he deleted his ldn ont post less than two hours after posting it.. So i visited a cached version if the site and reverse Googled one of the images posted. Lo and behold, a listing for a condo in Calgary shows up (which actually looks legit). So I Googled his email and this post showed up, first hit.
#207403 by Grammaj Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:28 am
I'm so glad this information saved you from going through what my granddaughter is going through right now. She still has her money but has lost a lot of her self confidence and because she supplied so much personal information is quite afraid of the potential consequences.
#207405 by manium123 Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 am
I am interacting with this Yahoo right now.

Way to good to be true, he was asking for rent in London Ontario that is half the going rate. I put his clearly canned responses into google and found this site. Thanks guys.
#207408 by Bryon Williams Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:46 am
Thanks to all who have updated this thread.

Please post any email addresses or phone numbers he is using. All information will be helpful to others.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#207725 by gizmogirl85 Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:30 am
I'm glad my post has helped spread awareness, found this site after reading an old CBC news article and created an account just to post his emails :) more people need to know about this site! I imagine rental scams are up right now with September approaching, so many students looking for places...

He mentioned the PhCargo method with me too. Anyone know if it's a valid company? Everything I found was in Italian.

This guy has a Google + account with only one friend, idk if she's involved in any way but wanted to put that out there. His account looks brand new. At least it did when I originally posted this. Nothing found on Facebook for him or his supposed wife. And no hits in the 2 pics he sent me of them together, wonder if he's using his real picture then?
#207758 by markc1986 Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:19 pm
Intermar
di Marcello Marucci
International Freight Forwarders

Intermar di Marcello Marucci
Via Valmontone, 22
00172 Roma, Italy
Partita IVA: IT 08564571001

We ship your ideas ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear

We have received your payment details.
We are pleased to inform you that the transaction has been started!
The package will arrive at your address on Friday, June 27, 2014, 5:00 PM.

Intermar
di Marcello Marucci
International Freight Forwarders

We have grown up in the shipping world: we are well aware that the needs of individuals and companies change from day to day. What we offer is not a single solution, but expert staff that have received specific training and a range of advanced services, ready to handle the unexpected and to cater to new needs.

This is not just our opinion. For a number of years Intermar has been meeting customer satisfaction goals and complying with methods laid down by standard UNI EN ISO 9001. The meeting of these standards is assessed every year by a certifying authority, which passes judgement on the express courier service, the urban motorcycle courier service and the distribution of parcels.

We are a team of professionals always ready to assist you. All service information, quote requests, or questions about payment method are taken care of by by one of our agents at [email protected] - we will be glad to give you as soon as possible and totally free, best answers!

International delivers your freight around the world ....

Intermar Direct Office
Management - Darin Aletan

Intermar
di Marcello Marucci
Italy - 00172 Roma - Via Valmontone, 22

T.: 06 2441 7345
F.: 06 2332 8765

Partita IVA: IT 08564571001

(C) Copyright - EXPOTRANS SRL - Via Portuense, 1555, 00148 Roma Italy