Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#205817 by Johnny Applesheed Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:58 pm
Hello,

Unfortunately a scammer has been emailing me, and maybe since I am not used to all types of scams, this one seems a bit different from the typical ones. He is not pretending to be from overseas and coming over, and has only been asking persistently for a zip code thus far. What scares me is that I tracked the email IP, and he/she seems to be in the US, in Redmond, WA. I would like some honest advice/comments on what this person can do with my email, or if anyone thinks he can track me down, and find out my address and whereabouts. The email address is [email protected]

***I first got a SitterCity message from him:

Hello,
My name is Bill Schofield i need a babysitter for my daughter which is 3 years and 6 months old daughter kindly email me on : [email protected] if you are interested in working for my family.

Thank You.

*I am emailed him back just saying:

Hello Bill,

Sorry for the delayed response; I saw your message on SitterCity, and
I would still be interested in babysitting if your family has not
found a sitter yet.

*His response (he always seemed to respond about 12 hours later):
Hello,
Thanks for the interest in working with our family, We are a very busy parent, our work require almost 15 hours a day, because we are a small scale business owner. We need your service for our, daughter she's 3 years and 6 months old.

Below are the 3 offer we have, you are required to choose the ones you can do or take 2 out of the 3 offer or you can even take all if only it is convenient for you.

1- Monday to Wednesday 9:10AM -- 4:10PM.
2- Thursday to Friday 4:10PM to 7:40PM.
3- Saturday 10:00AM to 5:00PM. We are paying $20.00 per hour for weekends and $22.00 per hour for week days .

Let me know which one you are interested to do out of the three offer or if you are willing to take more than one please let me know as soon as possible.

Note: PLEASE GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR AREA ZIP CODE SO THAT I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW FAR IS OUR HOUSE ADDRESS TO YOURS

Thanks

*I responded back to him with a zip code.

*He responded back, and changed the subject to ???.
His response was:
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I am so sorry for my late response, I have been so busy lately.

We'll like to know more about you if you don't mind, I mean like the kind of people you've worked with in the past and the email address ?,
What is the assurance that you will be able to resume to work on time?
Has your appointment been terminated by any of your previous employer?
If so give reason for this. Are you single? a single mother ? married ?
For how will you be able to work for us ?
You could all also supply any additional information like location where you grew up. etc

Your response to these will play a major role in qualifying you for the job position.

The job is going to last long, all depends on how long you will like to work for us. Your choice could be 3months, 6months, 1 year or more.

Our house address is : 84 ************** (included address, city, state, zip code that was a real address)

Awaiting your prompt response by email.

Thanks

*So I then proceeded to respond back with a lengthy description of my experience, and I attached a CV. The CV has an address that I no longer reside at.

*He responded back and changed the subject title to ACCEPTANCE. There was nothing written in the body.

*I emailed him back:

Hello Bill,

Is there a week where you would like for me to meet your family or start?

*He never responded to this. Instead, I sent him a new email thread asking him again when he would like for me to start, and he responded back with the first email he sent him:

Hello,
Thanks for the interest in working with our family, We are a very busy parent, our work require almost 15 hours a day, because we are a small scale business owner. We need your service for our, daughter she's 3 years and 6 months old.

Below are the 3 offer we have, you are required to choose the ones you can do or take 2 out of the 3 offer or you can even take all if only it is convenient for you.

1- Monday to Wednesday 9:10AM -- 4:10PM.
2- Thursday to Friday 4:10PM to 7:40PM.
3- Saturday 10:00AM to 5:00PM. We are paying $20.00 per hour for weekends and $22.00 per hour for week days .

Let me know which one you are interested to do out of the three offer or if you are willing to take more than one please let me know as soon as possible.

Note: PLEASE GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR AREA ZIP CODE SO THAT I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW FAR IS OUR HOUSE ADDRESS TO YOURS

Thanks

*I thought he was an absent-minded man, so I emailed him back replying I had already answered these questions. His response:

alright sounds cool, please i would like you to send me your area zip code.

*I sent him a zip code I no longer live at. And his latest response has been the same exact email as before but with a new address:

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I am so sorry for my late response, I have been so busy lately.

We'll like to know more about you if you don't mind, I mean like the kind of people you've worked with in the past and the email address ?,
What is the assurance that you will be able to resume to work on time?
Has your appointment been terminated by any of your previous employer?
If so give reason for this. Are you single? a single mother ? married ?
For how will you be able to work for us ?
You could all also supply any additional information like location where you grew up. etc

Your response to these will play a major role in qualifying you for the job position.

The job is going to last long, all depends on how long you will like to work for us. Your choice could be 3months, 6months, 1 year or more.

Our house address is : 56 ************* (included address, city, state, zip code that was a real address)

Awaiting your prompt response by email.

Thanks

What creeps me out are the specific house addresses he is sending me, and the fact that he is only asking for my zip code. What can he do with my name, number, and zip code honestly? Would really appreciate any feedback, and whether I should bring this to the police since the IP in the email is coming from Redmond, WA.
Advertisement

#205818 by AlanJones Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:13 am
The IP shows Redmond because that is where all Hotmail/Outlook.com emails show the IP address to be (the sender's IP is stripped out). He replies to you 12 hours later because he is actually in Africa.

It looks like he is just totally incompetent and hasn't got round to sending you the email where he asks for your address and tells you he is sending you a cheque.

Just delete his emails and don't respond to him.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#209616 by Tmtmt Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:42 pm
I have had the exact same email exchange, word for word, with the same name and yet a completely different physical address, which is 123 Third Avenue etc etc in NY. I'm thinking it might be an address within my zip code and that is why he asked for zip codes.

The occasional broken English sounded like a scammer, but there was never a scam request. One email was way later, the "???" Email was pretty immediate, and that subject line totally threw me off. That's when I googled his name and found your post here. So glad you posted this. I guess he was waiting to ask for a check deposit scam. Hopefully that's all, and he's not a stalker or anything.

Can we be in touch in case anything else happens? Do you have your picture up on the babysitting website? I do. I hope he's not stalking cute girls. I never responded with any of my details besides my zip code and phone number thanks to your post.

T
#209619 by vonpaso xlura Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:34 pm
The English sounds like that of an African, but there are some errors that I can't place. Wherever he is, he is not American. If the message is word-for-word identical, and even error-for-error identical, then it's from the same person, and there's no sense in answering him.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10