Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#210164 by KTKabo0m Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:38 am
Someone on one of the programs I use to message friends has posted a particular link from a site that WOT says is suspicious and so does BitDefender. However, since I don't want to investigate it myself with a valid Steam account .. I wondered if anyone here can tell me the risk this site (and not just the proposed or assumed risk but verified risk).

The message posted on a friend's status in Skype was:

[quote]Click this little button plez:
<removed link - dotti> ]He had already shared this with many until I told him the risk in that. Now he has taken it down.

I had to fiddle with the BBC to make it not automatically link (even though I checked "Do not automatically parse URLs" I was still seeing it clickable in preview so I didn't want to take the chance).

Edited by dotti--if a link is potentially harmful then it certainly does not need to be posted anywhere else to be clicked.
Advertisement

#210165 by AlanJones Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 am
The fact that the domain was registered by someone using an email address that is in a different name to the name they used and a phone number that is for a business in a different State tells me it is dodgy.

I won't be using the link and I have flagged your post to have what appears to be a referal ID removed.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#210166 by KTKabo0m Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:00 am
AlanJones wrote:The fact that the domain was registered by someone using an email address that is in a different name to the name they used and a phone number that is for a business in a different State tells me it is dodgy.

I won't be using the link and I have flagged your post to have what appears to be a referal ID removed.

It wasn't clickable. I wanted someone to check into it further. And it is not my own as I have not used that site myself. I know you guys normally just deal with 419 scams but I thought it was worth asking you guys. I have other security sources I can ask though that deal with site scams rather than just particularly 419 scams. Sorry I thought of you guys when I thought SCAM. I didn't stop to think about what type of scam and that it might not be in your field of expertise. Thanks anyway..

... Okay I will try asking elsewhere then .. thanks.
Last edited by KTKabo0m on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#210457 by KTKabo0m Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:36 pm
Okay I got my answer elsewhere. It IS in fact a scam. I am glad I looked into this and got my friend to take the link off his Skype. I found the right answer here:http://w ww .s pam404.com /ste am-wa llet-cardsco m.h tml