Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#169860 by rkennysurf Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:38 pm
Thanks to Scam warners caught this fella in the act.
[email protected]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25122
nice try

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ?26? ?June? ?2013 ?21?:?10
To: Removed (BW)
Subject: Re: Bandit 600

Hello Friend,

Thanks for your response,Am ok with your price and I need you to
understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put
it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please
note that i live in USA but right now am in Astor on the sea and due
to my work as a marine engineer,I will not be able to come to view the
merchandise or come for the pick up but i have a shipper/mover who
handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world and i will make
all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my
home in USA.If possible can you send me some recent picture?,My
shipper will be coming for the pickup, after you have received
payment, which would be through PayPal,So do you have a PayPal account
for the payment?.

Regards...

On 6/26/13, Removed (BW) wrote:
> I have it a year and a half and had it serviced when I bought it.
>
> In the mean time I have covered under 1000 miles.
>
> Straight sale cash 1600 euro ono.
>
>
> Sent from Windows Mail
>
>
> From: Patrick Rane
> Sent: 26 June 2013 20:29
> To: Removed (BW)
> Subject: Re: Bandit 600
>
>
>
> Hello Friend,
> I am really interested in the immediate purchase of your merchandise
> and i will like to know how long have you owned it?? what's your best
> price for it and when last was it serviced?
>
> On 6/26/13, Removed (BW) wrote:
>> Still for sale if interested
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Removed personal information.
Advertisement

#171349 by cnp4ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:39 am
Hi friends,
i have recently received an email from those people. Their new e mail address are [email protected]
In a few days I will post you their emails. Be very carefull about it!
#172598 by shtanto Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 pm
Big thanks to all the posters in the thread so far. :beer: I got one from our old pal Rane today:

Hello Friend,
I am really interested in the immediate purchase of your merchandise and i will like to know how long have you owned it?? what's your best price for it and when last was it serviced?

[email protected]

I suppose scammers are par for the course when selling privately and I could dissect this one but that wouldn't get me far. +1 for scamwarners though :)
#175490 by alexrll Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:16 am
Hi friends...

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!! I'm selling a motorbike and I've received an email from the same email address ([email protected])...with the same text:

> Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 02:08:11 -0700
> Subject: Re: Info VESPA PK125S
> From: [email protected]
> To:
>
> Hello Friend,
> I am really interested in the immediate purchase of your merchandise
> and i will like to know how long have you owned it?? what's your best
> price for it and when last was it serviced?

Regards,
Alex (Spain)
#177258 by oh_marcello Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:27 am
Hello,

Got his response to an add of mine (2 cars for sale in switzerland)

Rane Joseph <[email protected]>
Code: Select allReceived-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.224.16.208 as permitted sender) client-ip=10.224.16.208
Authentication-Results: mr.google.com;
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 10.224.16.208 as permitted sender) [email protected];

"Hello Friend,
Thanks for your response,Am ok with your price and I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please note that i live in USA but right now am in Astor on the sea and due to my work as a marine engineer,I will not be able to come to view the merchandise or come for the pick up but i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home in USA.If possible can you send me some recent picture?,My shipper will be coming for the pickup, after you have received payment, which would be through PayPal,So do you have a PayPal account for the payment?.
Regards..."
----------------------
My reply:
"Hello,
to ensure you are serious send me a copy of your identity card
Until such time,
more time."

His reply:
"Here is my passport"

obviously the guy needs to practice photo$hop...

----------------------------------------------------------------

same ad, another reply:

Butt Louis <[email protected]>
Code: Select allReceived: from blu0-omc3-s18.blu0.hotmail.com (blu0-omc3-s18.blu0.hotmail.com. [65.55.116.93])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id c5si3958877qai.76.1969.12.31.16.00.00;
        Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:19:44 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.55.116.93 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.55.116.93;

"Hello,
How are you doing? Thanks for the response, I am Captain Butt Louis, I will like to know more about the 2 cars as I am ready to buy it. I won't be able to come over there myself to see the merchandise as i'm a sailor currently sailing out of states and I'm from England. Well maybe you should tell me more about the merchandise and if possible you send me some recent picture or video of the merchandise, kindly write me your final price for it. I would like to get it as soon as i can, And i will like you to know that i will be making the payment through PayPal because i find it easier to transact business from here as I am off land now, and use my credit card safely and is a safe and reliable method of payment. I hope to hear from you soon, and i will make all transportation preparations for the it to be transported to my home in UK.
Regards"

Has not replied to my request of his ID's copy...

@+
O.M.
-----
#182888 by bagboy1925 Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:03 pm
same email here [email protected] ,
I sent him a paypal invoice , he said hes sending an extra 450.00 for shipping and that I need to
send this 450 via western union to his transport company, says this the only payment they accept.
I returned his text , this must be fake transport company cause I do business with several different
trucklines and none of them will accept a western union payment.
Not holding my breath waiting for this paypal payment and I would never fall for a fake email so.
this guys gotta come up with something new, hes not making any money with this foolishness.
#187289 by Malagang Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 pm
Hello!

This is really great. Thanks for all the info.

I had my suspicions when the person was interested in all my conditions....then I googled...

The person is called "Maria Sanchez" with the address [email protected]

- I live in Spain - but this person wrote in English, which I already found strange - my add was posted in Spanish.
Anyway I am selling my mobile home and this "Maria" also asked me for my paypal, etc etc etc...

Well too bad , I am not falling for this SCAM!!!!!!

Thanks folks!
#211246 by labguy Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am
He contacted me wanting to buy my piano i had adverstised on craigslist - same scam. He will pay me extra via paypal to pay for shipping. Thanks to this site that I caught on!
#217073 by Jacob Z Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:44 pm
Hello There

I would like to complement your 'scam'-list with a 'working off shore' version. It has been written in a very poor Dutch which looked immediately very suspicous and presenting an odd story, to say the least. I decided to do some research and I arrived at this site. I'm very glad to find this personal experiences and mine matches a number of them perfectly. That's why I want to do my share and hopefully help other people to avoid catastrophy and frustration.

Step 1:
Initially there was a Kapaza mail making an offer

Step 2
Mail 1 (see bottom): translated short version: not availabe, will pay in advance anyway you want, i work with transport agent. I got some personal details too. But the writer apparently forgot the amount has was prepared to pay for the items.

Step 3
Mail 2:(see bottom) After I disagreed with the modus operandi, I got another mail repeating the offer and giving more details about the inability to come and look for the item. And offering me other ways to receive the money.

Mail 1
Bedankt voor uw mail.i zullen waarderen bramen pictures..I ben bereid om het nu te kopen voor mijn zoon als een verrassing beloofd, en twee op de aard van mijn werk, zijn telefoongesprekken maken en het bezoeken van de website beperkt, maar ik uitgeknepen tijd om deze advertentie te controleren en sturen u een e-mail over it.i zou blij zijn om te betalen voor het zo snel mogelijk te zijn hoewel ik niet beschikbaar zal zijn voor een inspectie twee te komen om mijn strakke schedule.Kindly weer terug naar mij met de volgende onderstaande vragen:

1) Bent u de eigenaar?
2) Pick-up Locatie?
3) Uw PayPal E-ID om de betaling te verrichten
4) wat is de uiteindelijke prijs
5) is er geen andere problemen met het item niet vermeld op Kapaza?
6) vriendelijk verwijder de post van Kapaza

Ik zou blij zijn om de betaling tijd direct te maken via PayPal zo vriendelijk terug naar mij met uw PayPal-ID zijn. Je hoeft jezelf niet te maken over de overdracht van eigendom en verzending, ik zal de rederij naar That Daarom hanteren om de transactie niet terug naar mij met uw PayPal-ID en de totale kosten weet ik dat ik de betaling zo snel mogelijk kan maken voltooien instrueren. ik wil
wachten op uw antwoord

Mail 2
Hallo,
Bedankt voor uw e-mail en ik ben blij om te lezen van u, maar ik wil dat je me heel goed begrijpen, zoals ik al zei ik ben werkzaam op het moment op de offshore, dat is de reden waarom het heel moeilijk voor mij om u te contacteren, want al onze telefoon is rig uit. Het geld is niet het probleem, maar waar ik ben, zou ik graag hebben om u het geld te sturen via bank of contant geld, maar er is niets dat ik kan doen vanaf hier.

Ten tweede wil ik u om te begrijpen wat is de naam Pick up Agent, ze houden zich niet bezig met geld dragen helemaal niet, er werk is om te reizen naar alle delen van het land te halen items, ik zou graag het kan zijn, maar er is er werken en dat de manier waarop ze werken. ik wil dat je alle voorwaarden en waarom zijn moeilijk te begrijpen voor mij om u het geld te sturen door middel van een bankoverschrijving, maar alleen Paypal van het Schip. Ik zal kijken uit van u te horen zo snel mogelijk.
Thanks
#226403 by Joaquin Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:54 am
Hi everyone, and right away - thanks to you all! I'm glad I spent a few minutes to google who my future customer would be to find this topic...

So here's my experience with " [email protected]".

I'm currently willing to sell my iPhone 5 and have an advert online on "eBay kleinanzeigen", comparable to craigslist I guess..
A few days ago someone sent me an sms asking if it was still available, with the request to answer to mentioned email address. The message was written in poor, Google-translation-like-German...This and the fact that the sender messaged me from a Canadian phone number (starting with +1) already looked suspicious to me...
However, I answered and this is what I got:

---------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht ----------
Von: Rane Joseph <[email protected]>
Datum: Donnerstag, 6. November 2014
Betreff: Iphone
An: *****

Thanks for the mail. Yes am interested in buying your item from you
urgently because am buying the item as a gift for my son that went for
is project in NIGERIA.so i want you to get back to me with the total
cost of the item plus the shipment fees via DHL.DE or Local POST and i
want you to know i will be making the payment into your bank
account,so i want you to get back to me with the total cost of the
item plus the shipment fees and you full bank details so i can make
the payment into your account, here is the details need for the
payment below:

Account name:
Account number:
Bank name:
Swift code:
IBAN:
Item name:
Total cost to be payed:

Here is my Son address below:

Name: Patrick Rane
Address: No 38, ajibade street
City: Ibadan
State: Oyo
Pstal code: 23402

Once i get this details from yo will proceed with the immediate transfer and
i will get back to you as soon as the payment is completed...If
possible can you send me some recent picture of the item?

Await your response...

On 11/6/14, ****** wrote:
> *| ist Ihr telefon immer noch zum verkauf angeboten, wenn ja wieder zu mir
> am [email protected] <[email protected]>*
>
> Hallo.
> Ja es ist noch zu verkaufen.
>

------------------------------

Suspicious story... But I was about to answer and agree to the deal in the belief of "what could go wrong". I wouldn't ship the iPhone until I received the money, therefore I'm still wondering what harm he could do with my data.
Though, after reading your postings I'm already concerned about the fact, that he now has my phone number and at least one of my mail addresses.. :?
#226416 by TerranceBoyce Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:50 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Joaquin.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the scammer using any of the details you've given about yourself. This scam can work in several different ways but, since he has given you an address in Nigeria, I presume that he's just hoping to get his hands on your phone. It's difficult for him to spoof a payment on to your bank account, unless he uses stolen credit card details, and it's most likely he'll switch to Paypal where scammers frequently spoof payment emails.

The scammer will send replies to hundreds of adverts every day hoping to get a few people to fall for his scam. It doesn't cost him anything and he can probably earn enough to spend all day in a bar.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#226891 by Joaquin Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:33 pm
Thank you for your answer!
I haven't heard of any ways to harm someone by just getting their IBAN, yet. Eventhough I'm convinced such scammers are creative enough to find a way.. But I'd feel quite uncomfortable to submit my details to a stranger in the first place.
As you wrote, using stolen credit card details suggests itself in this case.

I did not reply and won't. I sold the phone in the meantime, so it doesn't matter, anyways. :=)

TerranceBoyce wrote:
The scammer will send replies to hundreds of adverts every day hoping to get a few people to fall for his scam. It doesn't cost him anything and he can probably earn enough to spend all day in a bar.

I thought of that, too.. One in a thousand, or even a hundred won't be too sceptical..unfortunately :?