Information on romance scams and scammers.
#212100 by dobba Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:57 am
Not sure wat im doing or how to navigate around this site properly cos its my first time. But I wanted to know if a so called us military person I met on tagged is a scammer? He says he's currently serving in west africa, helping to find some kidnapped school girls???? We've been corresponding for about a fortnight now getting to know each other. I initially thought he was a scammer as I have dealt with another from the same website a couple of years ago, but I caught him out when he asked for money, so I put a stop to that by telling him I cant send money but I know someone who works in law enforcement :wink :wink:: that may be able to assist, no surprise he didnt contact me again.
This one is different I quickly did sum research a couple of hours ago and came across your website so here I am? I know that with leave especially military leave it is handled internally. The email address he wanted me to contact to "apply" for his leave is [email protected]
I have done some digging on him and found the photos he's used in his tagged profile are on facebook but dont know if thats the actual Tim Daniel Rubio the other thing that tweaked my curiosity was the fact that he was using two different email addresses - [email protected] for emails and [email protected] on messenger. The reason why I didnt think he was a scammer because I asked him on messenger to send a recent pic of him which he did however im stillnot convinced because his english is terrible even in the emails they just dont sound like someone who speaks fluent english. Then he mentioned the leave and said there might be a cost and thats when I knew he might be a scammer??? So thats why I wanted to share this. Are you able to find out more for me?? I told him I will check the leave tomorrow (monday 28th here) and I will let him know tomorrow evening (my time)
Advertisement

#212102 by AlanJones Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:21 am
This

dobba wrote:He says he's currently serving in west africa, helping to find some kidnapped school girls????

and this

dobba wrote:The email address he wanted me to contact to "apply" for his leave is [email protected]

confirm that he is definitely a scammer.

There is no active publicised US military involvement in Nigeria - so if a soldier really was there, he wouldn't be telling random people on the Internet about it as he would be special services on a covert mission.

As you also said, leave is dealt with internally and not even proper relatives can request leave on a serviceman's behalf, let alone a "Internet pen pal" (which is how the military would classify you). Also, consultant.com is a free email provider, just like Gmail or Yahoo - not something the military would be using (all of their emails would come from a .mil domain).

Just delete his emails and block him on whatever sites you are chatting with him on.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#212104 by dobba Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 am
Thank you i guess i knew it all along but i wanted to see how long it would take him to mention "the money" and see what other tricks they may have to convince me so i know what to look for next time and to be able to warn people.