Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#212146 by SNS Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:05 pm
Hi all.
I just found out about this site through a motorbike forum.
I think it's a great idea and thanks to its creator and admins.
Now I'm not one to get taken in by scams but I do use kijiji extensively and get offers from scammers all too often.
I'd be glad to add e-mail addresses and their names that these scammers use.

here's a few from the last few days.

by text

and by e-mail

Jane herich ([email protected])
Add to contacts
3:46 PM
To: SNS
[email protected]
Hi, I am Jane Herich. I'm satisfied with the price and i really want to buy it. I would have love to come for the viewing by the weekend, but My place is way too far from there in which i am located in Cape Breton. So i thought of how to make this transaction work between us, which i came to conclusion with my husband to use a courier company to pick up the item from your place but we will send the money to your account first and after you get the money in your account, the pick up company will come to help us carry it. Since i'd not be seeing the item before i purchase it, i would like you to send some recent pictures of its present state to be sure you still have it and its in good condition. If the pictures pleases me, then we can go ahead with the transaction and will send the money to you without delay.... Lest i forget, i would be transferring the funds to you through PayPal. Please reply with your opinion ASAP Thanks.

kelly mikky ([email protected])
Add to contacts
5:29 PM
To: snsjeep
[email protected]

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me asap I Agree with price you are
letting and how I wish I could come and inspect it but I'm currently
working away from the State. I'm a marine engineer who's on a ship
right now in California . So I'll be buying without seeing it, also
I'll be paying through PayPal and I'm more than happy to pay the
PayPal transfer charges too. Due to the distance as me being in the
California Presently and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you
can set one log on to http://www.paypal.com it can't take you less than 3mins
to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. I 'll
arranged the pick-up with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get
your payment, I need you to Provide the Following details so That I
can proceed with the Payment ...

Full Name:
PayPal Email:
Total cost:
Your Phone Number so that i can text you after i make the transfer:

As soon as I make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier
Service will come and pick up at your home at your convenient hours
also the courier Will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day
Advertisement

#212148 by Terminator5 Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:55 pm
For maximum effect you need to transcribe the images of the texts you received into text . Google wont recognize the phone numbers inside the images . Those are pretty common craigslist purchase scams . The travelling marine engineer is a big one . Along with travelling missionaries and others . Usually the scammer is sitting in west Africa with an online phone number or voip telephone service .

Daniel 8 :25
#212168 by SNS Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 am
Terminator5 wrote:For maximum effect you need to transcribe the images of the texts you received into text . Google wont recognize the phone numbers inside the images ....

Thanks, I'll transcribe the e-mails. The numbers are just random numbers the scammers use to get you to answer but if you call back they the number will either not have been assigned to anyone yet or it'll be some innocent person who has no idea their phone number is being used in scams.

For the past few months I keep getting the "Congratulations! You have won a free trip....what's your credit card number?" phone call.
The number that would show up on my display would either be not assigned or someones cell phone that never called me. Always the same area code as me and the same 920 prefix (which just happens to be what my cell phone is).
I have also had people call me and ask why I called them when I never did... so I know my number has been used for these scams as well.
#212177 by HillBilly Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:15 am
Welcome to ScamWarners, SNS.

SNS wrote:I have also had people call me and ask why I called them when I never did... so I know my number has been used for these scams as well.

Some people have no class, and there is no cure for that. I have, however, found that when strange #'s calling me go to voicemail, no one has the brass to leave a message. Its not that important if they don't want to leave a message is the way I've come to think of it.

#212184 by Terminator5 Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:24 am
The ones I have got have all been texts and its easy to verify when they respond back .

Daniel 8 :25