Information on romance scams and scammers.
#213879 by Smart Blonde Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm
As noted, I received a similar introductory email as most of you. He is using [email protected]. He appeared on Match.com as katanora 201406. I questioned his name. In further emails, he explained his second name is Harry, but he could be referred to as Patrick. I became suspicious some time ago but played the game. His friends, Betty Walthom and Alex Brooks, are involved as well. Beware - his last correspondence/call was looking for money to bail him from gaol in Abu Dhabi. He didn't succeed with me, however, I had sent a few photos.

Hello ...... Quite the pleasure to read from you here. I really do hope I'm not about to bombard you with too much information,and that it doesn't put you off however, I feel it's important you know a little about me. So, here are a few things about me to give you a vivid idea of the person I am. Again, it's a bit extensive, but it's me.

About me: I grew up in Leicester. A part of Leicestershire, which is in the East-Midlands, England. My mother passed away at childbirth, and for some personal reasons my father despised me for it. According to him, whenever he looked at me he would see the person who took his wife away from this world. He was a drunk and a degenerate gambler. My father however remarried 5 years after my mother's passing to the most amazing woman you'll ever meet. She was nothing like my father. Was kind and caring and at the age of 7, when she had taken enough of my father's conniptions and his severe maltreating of me, she took me away from him and we have lived together ever since. You would think he would come after us, but he never did. She raised me and taught me every thing I know today. She adopted me on my 12th birthday and I call her Nana even though she's not my grand mother. I owe everything to her and she is my pillar in life. The Barbarous man passed 17 years ago from cancer, but I never did care much for him. Catherine was a strong woman, and did everything she could to make sure I got a good education and that I did. I attended English Martyrs catholic School in Beaumont Ley, which is also in Leicester, for 3 years and then work moved nana to Warwickshire. I transferred to St. Benedict's where I also played football(soccer)and rugby, as in Leicester. I had to take half-day jobs, so couldn't always make practice and eventually dropped out of the squad. After secondary school, I studied Geology at Coventry University, and eventually went on to get my MSc in Geology and earth science at Warwick University. I am mineral geologist by profession; was a field manager until 2004 when I resigned. Now, I'm an independent consultant.
Not to further dampen the mood, I lost my wife and daughter in a car accident 8 years ago, and I haven't been in a serious relationship since then. It had been very difficult for me adapting to my old life without my family and with everything that reminded me of them still around me, I made the decision 5 and 1/2 years after their passing, to make the permanent move away from England.

In November 2011, I departed England. Moving to Canada was a personal choice however, the choice to stay in Montreal was triggered by a business opportunity. Now that's been concluded, the choice to move to Canmore was entirely Nana's. I probably would have prefered a region more relaxed, like Kelowna or St Albert, but then again, her happiness comes first. At the moment we've been looking at potential homes and it's been narrowed down to 3, as soon as the precise location's been decided I'll share that with you.

I have worked with a few reputable companies and a lot of mediocre ones in England. The companies in England are usually the subsidiary branches, who usually have umbrella branches or head offices situated in countries worldwide. The first major mining company I worked for is De beers, they are a huge and well respected one at that. I was a researcher/field manager's assistant when I started and I loved the adventure. After my second year of training, I got to travel to South Africa for the first time and it was amazing. I worked there and was offered the post of a researcher after 3 years, but my promotion took so long that I had already applied for a job elsewhere for the post, but the latter paid better. Namco is a Canadian listed mining company, not as huge as De beers, but they were on the prowl for fresh untapped endowment. I was with them for 7 years. In my years of being a researcher, I have travelled to tons of countries; Russia, South Africa, Namibia, Guinea, Ghana, Brazil, India, Australia, Congo and Guyana. I still research when hired by private and potential entities, but my field manager days are behind me. And after relocating, that will be seldom done.

Please forgive me for going on and on for no reason. With time you'll get to see that I'm quite timid and this email was the best way for me to "break the ice."

Where exactly do you reside? What are your hobbies, dislikes, pet peeves? I'd like to know these and more, but we could start there for now. Have a lovely morning.

Patrick
Advertisement

#214113 by janca304 Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:59 pm
I received the identical letter but from Patrick Grant @ [email protected], also received mail from Betty N @ [email protected] and Alex Brooks @ [email protected] same info requesting money for bail from Dubai. I have gone so far as getting banking information for a bank in Cardiff, UK. I also have a Montreal, Quebec, Canada phone number. I had even informed them I had just met a scammer who asked for money in my early correspondence. I can't believe he carried on with it. Correspondence took him to the UK first because Nana died. The Montreal phone number he did call me from and with a british accent.
#214323 by Busylady Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:09 am
Well, he has gotten to me as well! I've received several emails to the same effect, in fact exactly the same as those posted here. Nana died about 10 days ago now and he's been in Southampton but is now in Abu Dhabi. I suspect the next series of emails shall be him getting into trouble and then requesting money. So far he has tried to capture my heart with all his romantic babble but there's just been something fishy right from the get-go so now I am on to him and shall continue to play out his game to see what comes next. He is truly a dirty rat and I will rack my brains trying to think of someway to get him!

Thank you all for this site! It is just the warning I've been looking for....this didn't sound right at all!
#214396 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:04 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Busylady,

Please post any new information for the scammer. Like phone numbers and email addresses.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#214399 by Busylady Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:12 pm
Here are a few more bits of contact information that may help someone new from getting caught in this web! Here are the emails he's given to me. Texts to the phone numbers go unanswered.

[email protected]
[email protected]
514-587-4112
514-317-8580

I'm waiting for the next email in his series! Should be ready getting to the financial request soon!
#214521 by Busylady Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:40 am
I received a phone call this morning from an overseas number but as per the last time it was very garbled and a poor connection. He said he would call later. This time his heavy British accent wasn't as bad as last time but I could tell it wasn't British either.

I was going over previous correspondence with him and it is right on with the letters that have been posted here. I wonder how many women he has on the hook at the moment! He slipped up 3 emails ago by calling me a different name that's when I started clueing in that something was off.
#214943 by bass1 Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm
This is getting better and better! He was on Match.com as MEMOSTAN490, [email protected], 647-317-7695. With a new affiliate, who made contact on his behalf when he 'ran into customs troubles' in Dubai - Alex Brooks with a UK phone number +44 7451 256013. He sent an attached letter relating to Patrick G. Colins from the Dubai Customs office relating to the seizure of his 'consignment' of gems??? Money needed to post bail. Oh my....