Information on romance scams and scammers.
Advertisement

#216933 by Smith Jones Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:08 am
"I put myself in the place of these people because I know what it feels to be single. You need affection of someone and you would do anything for this."
Well said Lola. This is exactly how the scammers prey on people, especially the military scammers.
Please be safe if you commonly get scammer types of messages. Some are easy to identify. Others can fool you. My scammer didn't appear like most so I dismissed him being one for a long time.
#217020 by vonpaso xlura Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:45 am
Lola30 wrote:He has a degree in criminology, He wants to do his master after he finishes his mission in Syria. He told me he speaks spanish, but I saw when he is chatting in spanish he translates the conversation to spanish (I speak spanish and I know when someone uses a translation)

Hace muchos años conversaba con un(a?) estafador(a) en Udmurtia (parte de Rusia donde se habla un idioma relacionado con el finés). Me escribió en inglés obviamente traducido de ruso. ("Al fundo de nacimiento" por "A mi cumpleaños" — "fundo" y "día" son idénticos en ruso solo en caso locativo.) La convencí que sería más fácil para ella comprender mi ruso compuesto con ayuda de un diccionario que para mi comprender su inglés traducido mecánicamente de ruso. Y me dijo en ruso: "Я никогда не был женат" (Yo nunca no fui casado). En ruso "casado" y "casada" son totalmente diferentes. Por eso supe que ella fue él y cuando me dijo que había estudiado alemán e inglés y olvidado el alemán, reconocí que era un completo mentiroso. Cuando reconozcas esto, déjalo y nunca más le respondas.

Many years ago I was talking with a scammer in Udmurtia (part of Russia where a Finnic-Permic language is spoken).(S)he wrote in English which was obviously translated from Russian. ("At the bottom of birth" for "On my birthday" — "bottom" and "day" are the same in Russian, but only in the locative case). I managed to convince her that it's easier for her to understand my Russian, composed with the aid of a dictionary, than for me to understand her mechanically translated English. She said to me "Я никогда не был женат" (I have never been married). But that's what a man would say; the last word would be completely different if a woman said it. So I knew that she was a he, and when he said "I've studied German and English and forgotten the German", I knew he was a total liar. When you recognize that, drop him and never answer again.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#219796 by noahsmommy Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:17 pm
The same man tried to scam me. He fold me He was stationed in Syria. Told me He grew up in Alma Michigan but lives in Latham. New York. Both his parents were dead. I fell for the I love you and the let's be a family. He even went as far as for talk on the phone with my 6 year old son and told him He loved him. Fred had told me He needed money to go on his vacation. I am proud to say that I did not send him any money. But I did send him pictures when He asked. I feel like a complete fool for falling for the I love yous. I am so glad I googled him or I may have still been waiting for him. I want to thank the ladies that came forward with all this info.