Room for Rent and other rental scams
#217280 by nulis Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm
Hello guys, found this ad http://loot.com/property/flats-to-rent/ ... -3768051ad .Looking very good, I think too good for 100pw, but I contacted it and received email

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat.My flat is still available for rent,you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.

Rent £400pcm : £100pw
Security Deposit: £500.00.
Utility bills inclusive water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet.
The property comprises good-sized living room of 150ms, modern kitchen, bedroom with fitted wardrobes and modern shower room. Features: Gas central heating, Washing machine, Dish washer, Fridge, Microwave.Conveniently situated very close to the transport links and all other local amenities.I'll like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Rita Alex

Then I replied that I am interested in it and received following reply:

Thanks for the swift reply.I can make a perfect reservation for you for the said period of time you are willing to stay in my flat and also i 'll like you to know that my flat is a one bedroom flat not shared.I and my attorney have both agreed to make a reservation for you so you don't need to be worried as long as you will promise me that you will take proper good care of my flat just the way it is. However, you would need to make a deposit to book the flat but before that, my attorney would need some information from you to draft an Assured Short Hold Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information in other to avoid time wasting.

I look forward to reading from you.

Regards.

Do you think it is a scam?
Advertisement

#217295 by TerranceBoyce Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners nulis.

Without doubt it's a scam and from the phrasing and words used he's located in West Africa. It's incredibly common and if you look for a property rental on free ad sites you'll have problems finding any that aren't scams.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle