Room for Rent and other rental scams
#218154 by Michelle Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 am
Recently seen writing from IP Address: 188.29.124.41
Region: ENGLAND
City: LONDON

[email protected]

Hello Michelle
Thanks for your reply. However, it's unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I currently work and live in Coventry and i would need to take a day or two off in order to come down to Edinburgh and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to book the room but before that, my lawyer would need some information from you to draft a Short Assured Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Samantha

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#218709 by Michelle Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:22 am
Samantha Jones <[email protected]>

Thanks for accepting the contract obligations. Please sign the last page of the Short Assured Tenancy Agreement and email to me the signed copy or you can bring it with you on your arrival to my flat which ever one is convenient for you.

On the item #2.3 of the contract, you are required to pay an advance one month rent of 450pounds plus the security deposit of 400 pounds (Total: 850 pounds) to fully confirm the room reservation for the said move in date. Once you have finalised the transfer, you will email to me the bank transfer confirmation screenshot/receipt for verification.

Here is my bank account details;

Account Number: 50526813
Sort Code: 07-00-30
Bank Name: Nationwide

Please let me know when you will get the payment done.

Regards,

Samantha

#219455 by saulscmit Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 pm
It seems as though you're not the only one to see "her". After conducting my own investigation & getting plenty of evidence against the perp I will be sending to the police.

There are too many email communications between me & this person to post. But, if you are ever contacted via the below details report them to the authorities:

Any of the above template emails
[email protected]

If anyone has any further details on this person either contact me, post them here or contact the police. ALWAYS ask for a viewing & NEVER EVER give money to anyone before signing a tenancy agreement or seeing the property. If you are unsure just go and knock on the door or buzz the flat each time you're in the area until you get an answer from the tenant & ask whom their landlord is; if they ask why, just say you've seen their flat advertised on property sites and it's possibly fraudulent.

It paid off for me in the end after I suspected a dodgy land ownership deed that this fraudster sends (just run some of the numbers through google & you'll get a template off Word Press turn up, thing is that it is from France).

Be careful all
#226347 by Linzeed Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:16 pm
Hey guys

I received a text message first of all from a Samantha on this mobile number: 07961676873 in reply to an advert I posted online looking for a property to rent. She asked me for my email address so that she could email the property details and images so I gave her my email address she sent photos and described the property, rent, deposit etc it sounded and looked ideal so I replied asking to view it she replied:

Sorry for the late response been quite busy with work. Yes the room is furnished and you will be sharing with a neat, sociable and polite 23 year old female professional. However, it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I currently work and live in Manchester and i would need to take a day off in order to come down to London and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to book the room but before that, my lawyer would need some information from you to draft an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which you will print and bring along with you on your arrival date to my flat.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed.

Regards,

Samantha

She is using a different email address to the above one posted [email protected] is the one she used to mail me

And then today I receive a text message from someone else responding to my advert claiming to be Amabel MacQueen the text came from: 07537197549

Asking for my email address to send me more info about the property this was a different address property looked great in the photos, I asked to view it and she emailed me:

Hello Linzee,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Regarding to your questions, the
deposit will be protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme and
it's refundable after end of your stay in my flat. However, it was
unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come
and view or reserve my flat and not keeping up to time as at when
scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I currently work and
live in Charfield and i would need to take a day off in order to come
down to Romford and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and
yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend
or relative who are in Romford also some do not meet up with the
appointments.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to book the flat but
before that, my Attourney at law would need some information from you
to draft an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which you will print,
sign and email back to me the sign copy.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Confirmed move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you
how to proceed.

Regards
Amabel

From this email address: [email protected]

I told the both to do one because there was no way I was paying anything until I've seen the property and agreed to take it. I've reported this to Action Fraud. I hope this scum bag gets caught before more innocent people are harmed!
#230717 by Thu Tran Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:47 am
I got that kind of email from two persons as well
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hello Thu,

Thanks for the prompt response. Regarding to your question, i am more
than willing to have you in my flat from said move in date 20th March,
2015. However, it was unfortunate that my past bitter experience of
inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat and not keeping up
to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I
currently work and live in Eaglesham and i would need to take a day
off in order to come down to Glasgow and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and
yet they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend
or relative who are in Glasgow also some do not meet up with the
appointments.

Nevertheless, you would need to make a deposit to book the room but
before that, my Attourney at law would need some information from you
to draft an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which you will print,
sign and email back to me the sign copy.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Confirmed move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you
how to proceed.

Regards

Eva
#238088 by Ken Reginald Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:08 am
I also had a scam attempt from Amabel MacQueen. She sends a contract that her lawyer has prepared and promises than she and her lawyer will be at the viewing. Obviously she asks for a securing deposit in advance to be paid to the following account:

Account Name: Mrs LA CHILDS-GILL
Bank Name: HSBC
Account Number: 42246422
Sort Code: 40-25-10
Noted (BW)
I'm reporting this to action fraud immediately.
#245837 by Jo2015 Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 am
Hi there,

I have also just had this person contact me with all the exact same emails! "She" is now going by the name of Tracy Marshell with the email address [email protected] and mobile number 07537197549. Fortunately I didn't send any money either! I have also reported it to the police, although they don't think they can do much as I hadn't sent any money.

Please feel free to contact me if you need further details!

Jo
#249969 by Marshysgirl Fri May 08, 2015 5:34 am
Hi can someon contact me, yesterday I've paid this woman £700 and she's ignoring me now ?! Police coming mine at 5pm today. I'm a single teen mum , perfect prey for her. I'm so depressed , and will be homeless 12th June, council refuse to help me .. I'm so lost.
#251168 by Bryon Williams Thu May 14, 2015 7:18 pm
Hello,

Thank you for the update. You just reported the person.

Please do not report the email address to the provider. If you do. Your warning and others will be useless. The scammer will get a new email address in 5 minutes and start over. We will only find the scammer again when a victim or potential victim post.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/