Scams offering fake Au Pair positions
#184339 by einalem7118 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:53 pm
I posted an ad on Craigslist for my daughter advertising babysitting. I have received legit ads thus far, but today I received this:

Craigslist reply 41b9
To [email protected]
Today at 2:07 PM
Hello i just want to know if you can care for my daughter in your place for 1 month start from JAN 10 to FEB 30 from Monday to Friday and the cost for it.. if not available please get back to me with
available date and time for you to care for my daughter...

Please reply me back with your private email reply me on my private email ( [email protected] ). Thank You

Note Craigslist email will be ignore..

I did a search of this persons email address, and found out this address is listed in "rental scammers" on this site. I never planned to reply to said person, but I was shocked when I read the email. After finding this out, I chose to make an account with scamwarners.com and make others aware he not only does rental scamming, but he's doing babysitting scamming as well.

Added quotation. (BW)
Advertisement

#184346 by Bryon Williams Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners einalem7118,

Thank you for updating this information.

In this scam the Scammer will attempt to send you fake checks, money orders or Paypal payments. They will all be fraudulent and/or fake. He will do this as an advance payment for services. Later, the scammer will make up a reason why you need to send money to a third person via Western Union or Money Gram.

While on Craigslist remember that most of the people who will contact you will be scammers. Keep all your communication within Craigslist mailing system. No matter what the person tells you. Texting is not safe either.

Here are some warnings from Craigslist.
DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#187098 by Cab5794 Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 am
I received a similar email. But the "private" return email is [email protected]. The person identifies themself as Dr. Janet Gareh. She wants to forward money for someone to watch her daughter for a month while in town for the EPA. Worried that she has my name and email. I did not give her/him my exact address, but my Craigslist post does have my nearest crossroad. Anything I need to do to protect myself? Thanks!
#187448 by rlw1278 Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 pm
I received the same thing and I took the check to the bank now i am so messed up and do not know what to do. Could you please tell me what I need to do to handle things legally.
#187479 by David Jansen Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 am
Welcome here rlw1278.

Best thing to do is to go back to your bank and explain to them you are a victim of a scam. The scam involves money loundering. As long as you have not withdrawn any money and send it to someone via western union, then the only offence you have made is using a fraudulent cheque. Be open and honest to the bank personel.

And welcome here Cab5794.

Do not worry, the scammer probably won't even bother to contact you again when he realizes that his scam didn't work with you, and he will be moving on to find an other person to try to scam.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#187582 by taytay31585 Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 pm
Just posted the other day I was interested in watching children at my home and this woman sent me the same thing her name was janet grant and she said she wanted me to watch her daughter wendy from feb 10 - march 10 .. she asked for all my info same email as everyone is getting and the address is 200 elizabeth st Toronto looked it up and its a hospital.. I emailed her back and said that I woukd love to help her this was before I was certain it was a scam but I told her if we could meet up or something before had bc im a little leary of giving out my info when I dont know her and that I wouldn't put my family in harms way .. havent heard a word yet this all just happened tonight. Should I worry about Facebook and stuff all my info is private I think
#187584 by Bryon Williams Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners taytay31585,

Should I worry about Facebook and stuff all my info is private I think

Just make sure it is private and do not accept friend request from people you do not know.

Meet all employers in person at a public place. Never wire money to anyone you have not met face to face.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#196506 by frankbenavides77 Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:22 pm
I too have just received this exact response via Craigslist. Sadly they now have my e-mail address and phone number. I had never seen anything like this where the person wanted to send money in advance before coming from Canada. Plus the English in the e-mail wasn't so hot. I am glad that I googled the name Dr Janet Gareh prior to responding with all my personnel information.
#219110 by Melissa Galler Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am
Had listing for daycare on Craigslist. Same story as everyone else's. Coming from Dr. Tori Gareh in Canada (Toronto) with 5-yr-old daughter needing daycare for month of October. Said sending cashiers check with enough money for me, and extra to forward to cab company via Wester Union for transportation while in the states. Glad I checked it out. Please be careful! I almost fell for it. My sister told me to Google the name and that's how I found out it was a scam.