Room for Rent and other rental scams
#219116 by SAM SMITH Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:22 am
So having a real hard time renting in Guelph, alot of scamers apparently, Got this response to a email about a place, it seems strange to me. Can anyone else let me know if this sounds legit. What got me off guard is the fact that he states that he is an engineer yet still makes quite a few grammatical errors. The price sorta fits the area, with prices from as low as the 780's but averaging around the just under 1000 mark a month.

Hello,

The apartment located in 1440 Gordon St, Guelph, Ontario, N1L 1C8 is still available. As you can see from the pictures is in excellent condition, very clean and very well kept. I never rented this apartment and I want to find a responsible tenant to take good care of the place. The apartment is fully furnished and it has all the appliances. Of course you can use everything from the apartment or if you want to use your furniture you can deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The rent is 800CAD/month and includes everything: heat, hydro, water, electricity, 2 parking spots underground, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer also included, cable and internet- full package paid for 1 year in advance. You will have full access to all the amenities in the building. From my point of view I'm sure that you will like the apartment and you will rent it on spot.
This apartment is a private property, paid in full and no mortgage on it. Schools and groceries near-by. I'm sure you will have everything that you need there because is one of the most important areas in the city. Pets are allowed.
About me now. I'm 45 years old, I'm married with 2 children. I'm an engineer at Black&Veatch Global Engineering in telecom industry. The company I work for they have projects all around the world so most of my time I'm traveling. I will be away for the next 6 years so it's free for you to stay there as long as you want. I want to rent the place on my own so I need to send you the keys and papers so you can check the apartment.

Best regards,

Harry

The pictures are of a new condo apartment, that actually exists, built in 2013. The post was listed on kijiji.
Advertisement

#219121 by Bryon Williams Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:31 am
Yes, it is a scam. The same script is posted here. viewtopic.php?f=39&p=206738

Make sure if you rent a place that you can physically go inside the Apt.

Never send money to anyone you never met face to face. Also scammers will tell you to wire money to yourself, friend or relative. Then he will ask you to scan the payment slip or ask for the MTCN/Ref number. The scammer then will pick up the money himself.

Please post the email address the scammer used.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/