Room for Rent and other rental scams
#219387 by Michelle Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:11 am
Date: Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Subject: RE: Dogs and Cats welcome, Central AC, Neutral Decor
To: Michelle Banks

Hello,

I hope everything is good on your end. The apartment is here still to rent. We thought we had the place rented to a couple that we gave a personal tour to, but now it seems that they're not interested, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the third one to email me about it.

I bet you will want to do a walkthrough of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address for safety reasons. Last time we did that without being diligent, it was broken into and torn apart. We don't want that to happen again! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a half year term if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your free credit score. All of our tenants use this site because Transunion is widely trusted. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your score We are not concerned with any negative marks, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues. You can get it for free at CLICK HERE

Keep in mind that we are only interested in the page about the rental history. That will be all you will need to bring with you to the showing. We'll also waive your security deposit if we see that your rating is above 560+.

Give me a heads up when you have an updated version of your credit history. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through. I know that you'll love it!

See you soon!,
Susan Kelly

First of all the Scammer will have earned commision for each person paying for the Credit Check, and then he will have wanted you to send him money to have keys and documents to be couriered from abroad, or to send money to a family friend to show that you are financially sound and not a time waster. He would have asked you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union or Moneygram).

These transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement