Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#220264 by MrunaliniT Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:43 pm
Message number 2: I must be popular with the scammers aparrently!

+12015787108 at 10:31am: "I saw your ad, Am ready to offer u additional $700 to ur asking price for the Vehicle. pls respond by email me ASAP on: [email protected] .Norman

Now in the back of my head I am questioning both the messages, but didn't hit me.. until our email conversations.. broken english, no mention of agreeing to my conditions, all that "red flags"!!

to: [email protected]
date: Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM
subject: Re: 1998 Dodge Neon

Hi Norman,
I just received your message. So you are offering 1900 + 700 = 2600, if I am correct?
May I ask why you are offering the additional 700?
If so, it has to be cash full on site and you can come and pick up the car on Sunday. I will message you the time and place.
Thanks.

Norman:
Hi Removed (BW)
just thinking you might have had some buyer's interested in buying your Vehicle and i think the best way to outbid them is by offering you additional 700 to your asking price on the ad, Well am actually purchasing it for my Brother at home to have something to move around with when am not available but i won't be available to come for the inspection my self due to where i am presently . I do have a pick-up agent that will be contacting you on where and when the pick-up will take place after have completed the payment my self .
If you don't mind can you please tell me a little bit more about the present mechanical condition,how often you do the servicing and the history ? I will be waiting for your response then if we come to an agreement i will proceed with the payment immediately.

Me:
Hi Norman,
If it is alright with you. You could call me right now and we can discuss everything and I will repeat our conversation on a follow-up email, I will send you. For your record and mine. Also, if there is a pick-up agent coming to get the car, how will the bill of sale be filled out? I will also require the person's I.D.
Regarding the payment, how much are you willing to offer and the primary method of payment I am considering is cash, as I am leaving Canada permanently.
Please call me so that I can go through everything mechanical on the car with you. My phone number is *******
Thanks.

Norman:
Good to hear from you again
Thank you for this details, Well in regards to the Vehicle am very much interested in buying it and paying for it right away so you don't have to look around for any other buyer for it. I'm actually buying it for my Brother at home in Ontario as a surprise, But before i can send it to him i have to make sure the Vehicle is in a good condition . I hope you understand my point that there is no way i come to do the inspection of the Vehicle my self as have said earlier besides the Vehicle will be picked up and transported to Ontario where my Parents stays, So whatever you tell me about the good and the bad aspect of the Vehicle is what i will believe and also inform the Pick-up agent that will be coming over to pick the Vehicle
After have completed the payment the agent will contact you about where and when the pick up will take place and they will also be of assistance to do the change of ownership when they get there. but before i proceed with the Payment is there is any problem which you're yet to mention that i should know , please let me know now meanwhile can you please please take the add off online now till we complete the transaction and please send me your PayPal email and i will make the Payment right now
Regards
Norman

Me:
Hi Norman,
Let me go over the car details with you. If you need any additional pictures or further information please do not hesitate to ask me.

**** Provided a very very detailed description of my car, no numbers added just to explain the condition of my vehicle*****

I am from New Zealand and came to Canada to get further education, so as a student this car was affordable to me and I have taken care of her to the best of my abilities. I am a very honest person and I will never try to rip someone off for my gain.

As for the removal of the ad, once we reach a 100% finalized decision, I will take it off and given your quote, right now I am giving you first preference.

So if you are still interested, please send me an offer and as I mentioned earlier, either you can make the payment, in full, by cash on site or direct deposit from your bank account to my bank account. I do not trust paypal due to previous bad experiences with them. Once the paperwork and payment is sorted, my CeeCee is yours. I hope your brother can take good care of her!

Thanks Norman.

Regards,
Removed (BW)

Still haven't heard back.. I think I might not!
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information and added quotations.
Advertisement

#220266 by Bryon Williams Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:07 pm
Only accept a cash sale face to face. The scammer could easily flash your bank account with stolen money.

This same scam works with fake checks. The scammer is not interested in your vehicle. He wants to steal your money.

You will find that most inquiries will be from scammers.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#220503 by mk1138 Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:33 am
I also just got contact by the same scammer.

Text from 201-374-3650 reads: "i saw ur ad,Am ready to offer u additional $700 to ur asking price for the Car.pls respond by email me ASAP on: [email protected]"

Exact same text as reported above.
#220640 by Mike Wilson Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:14 pm
This particular scammer will send you a fake PayPal email. The email that I received was in my spam folder and gmail added the following banner.

Be careful with this message. Similar messages were used to steal people's personal information. Unless you trust the sender, don't click links or reply with personal information. Learn more

This is a copy of the fake PayPal email from PayPal Customer Service [email protected]

Note: PayPal will NEVER ask for a payment before releasing funds.

*Dear **R<removed>
*Powered by[image:
PayPal]

You have received a PayPal AUTOMOBILE Pending Payment of *$3,700.00* .CAD
from Norman Mackinnon to *b<eemoved>* PayPal
Account

In addition, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds and will not
reflect in your PayPal Account History because it is under Pending in our
database. This is a *PayPal* *AUTOMOBILE* *Payment Service* for a Vehicle
purchased from you, we reserve the right to make sure this Transaction is
safe and secure and to also verify the legitimacy level of this Transaction
because of the high amount of funds involved.

This is to inform you that you are required to send a sum of *$600.00
CAD* which
is meant for Pick-Up Charges to the address below via Western Union
Money Transfer and
get back to us with the relevant information's which you will be provided
with after the money has been sent. You are requested to give us the MTCN#
(Money Transfer Control Number), Sender's Name and Sender's Address used in
making the transfer before we credit the total sum of *$3,700.00* .CAD into
your PayPal account.

------------------------------

*Payment Details *

Description: Auto

Quantity: 1

Goods: $3,100.00 CAD

Pick-up fee: $600.00 CAD

Total: $3,700.00 CAD

*Western Union Pick-up Details*

Name: Solmaria Torres

Address: 1000 Route 9 North Suite 301,

City: Union City

State: New Jersey

Amount: $600.00.CAD

*PLEASE NOTE*: This action is not a request from the Buyer that you must
send the Pick-Up fee to the Pick-Up agent before we credit your account. It
is a security procedure we are taking to protect both parties involved in
this Transaction. The total sum above has been successfully debited from No=
rman
Mackinnon the Buyer's account and is ready to be credited into your
account. Due to the fact that this payment is an *AUTOMOBILE* purchase, we
reserve the right to make sure this Transaction is safe and secure and to
verify the legitimacy level of this Transaction because of the high sum of
funds involved.

Note*: *Transaction was done via our E-mail Payment Service, all inquiries
should be directed to PayPal Customer Care via Email because it is the one
being used in monitoring your Transaction. This Transaction has not been
directed to the Phone Service Section of our Customer Care Department.

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD: NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal
employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new
web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal
URL every time you log in to your account

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Copyright =C2=A9 1999-2014 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved.
PayPal Canada Pty Limited ABN 93 111 195 389 (AFSL 304962). Any general
financial product advice provided in this site has not taken into account
your objectives, financial situations or needs.

PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131
PayPal Email ID PP1557

Questions? Go to the Help Centre at:
https://www.paypal.com/ca/help <https://www.paypal.com/au/help> Email
: [email protected]
<[email protected]>

Thank you for using PayPal.
PayPal Team.

[image: https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/email/im ... 101x45.jpg]
Scott Thompson
President
PayPal, Inc

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#220643 by Mike Wilson Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 pm
More bogus information from the scammer. PayPal does not hold funds or act as an escrow company for any transaction.

I will like to inform you that I have sent the payment and i expect PayPal to have contacted you by now on the email you use for PayPal. if notification not seen in your Gmail inbox please kindly check your Gmail Spam i am very sure it will be there (removed) I have sent $3,700.00 and PayPal said the fund will be held and it will not be credited into your account until you have sent the money meant for pick-up and i believe you must have received a notification in regards to this. Send the pick up fee to the agent's Headquarter in United State via Western Union Money Transfer in any Western Union office closer to you or Any Walmart, Money Mart or Western Union Store so that PayPal can credit all the money into your account as soon as you have sent the Western Union details to them. I added extra $400 to cover Western Union and the PayPal charges which shouldn't be more than $160-180 but just to be sure i added $400. and the PayPal charges Here is the pick up agent information needed for you to send the money through Western Union Money Transfer:

Name: S***** Torres
Address: 1000 Route 9 North Suite 301,
City: Union City,
State: New Jersey
Zip: 07087
Amount: $600.00.CAD

Email me the necessary details; the MTCN# which you will be given at the Western Union office after you have sent the pick up fee, the name of the sender and address you used in sending the money so that I can forward it to PayPal or better still, you can email it to PayPal directly, that is fine with me as well so that they can credit your account with 3,700.00 . Please send me your address where the Vehicle will be picked up and also your phone number because I must forward it to the agent who will contact you immediately you have received your payment at hand and your account is credited so that a convenient pick up time can be booked. Regards.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#226429 by Ironhead Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:00 pm
I received the same one two days ago. Almost word for word. The name this time was Jason Loubert who said he would offer me $800 over the asking price. He initially texted me from 1-587-773-0296 (an Alberta area code) then we began emailing back and forth via email address [email protected]. Earlier this evening, he asked for my PayPal email but I responded by saying that I would rather he find someone to look at the bike or at least call me first. Haven't heard from him since.
#227390 by Jonovision Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:14 pm
I am trying to sell a car on Kijiji and got the same thing. Offering me $700 more than asking price. Thought I would post all of the scammers aliases and numbers that were used to text me with, in the hope it helps someone avoid the trouble of dealing with these perps.

The person goes by:
[email protected] (Mary Cara)
[email protected] (Steve Chasse)
[email protected] (Dennis Martins)
[email protected] (Mark Henry)
[email protected] (Larry Park)
[email protected] (John Parker)

Mobile Numbers used in the scam
Mary Cara: 208-568-5060
Steve Chasse: 434-481-0583
John Parker: 226-312-2657
Dennis Martins: 702-783-9718
Mark Henry: 619-720-3821

Hope this helps, they are very aggressive and always indicate they are buying the vehicle for a relative, and that they cannot meet in person as they are out of the country. They then try to coach you into accepting payment via PayPal which of course never arrives. I figured out the scam almost immediately, as all the texts and email sounds similar in syntax. Bad spelling and grammar and always involve payment through PayPal.

Cheers,
Jon
#229937 by Lfowler Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:36 am
I posted my car on auto trader last night and got this text this morning
"is your vehicle on autotrader presently available for sale, what is your final the price? do reply me to [email protected] to further"
The phone number this text came from is 509-721-7199.
I have used AT and Kijiji to sell vehicles before so I knew this as a scam and imedediatly went looking for a site reporting on this guy and found your site. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the phone number being used. It's the same email another user had found but the phone number is different.
L