Room for Rent and other rental scams
#219159 by faraz Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:38 pm
Hello,

I am glad I found this. I am currently in contact with that person at his new email [email protected]
and the email is word by word the same except the address (Find the emails below).

I knew it was too good to be true and what really threw me off was I knew Airbnb doesnt help manage properties especially handling the payment and delivery of the rental package. I am going to report this to Airbnb.. hope no one falls for this and this guy gets caught.

Thank you
Advertisement

#219160 by faraz Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:39 pm
Email 1:

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in 33 Bay St, Toronto, Ontario M5J 1B7 . The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. The apartment has 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 860 CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package from Rogers, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs.

Thank you and look forward hearing from you!
Chris

PS : I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment ( as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition ) .
#219161 by faraz Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:41 pm
Email 2:

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 860CAD and damage deposit 860CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

The apartment is in excellent condition, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. Since at this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom and obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal.The solution is a worldwide third party company called Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) ,they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package

We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package . With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with Airbnb given that I'm a registered user for 4 years and I've made over 30 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.

My phone number is +44 203 287 6610 (if you are calling from Canada you may need to dial 011-44-203 287 6610). You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.

Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction . You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Chris
#219276 by faraz Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am
Email 3:

Along with copy of passport

Hi again,

This transaction is not made face to face, this is the whole reason for using Airbnb, for both of us to be 100% protected. For security and for your peace of mind I had attached an copy of my PASSPORT to see that I am very serious about everything.

Regarding the process, you will only have to deposit to Airbnb the first month of rent from contract and damage deposit 860 $ + 860 $ = 1720 $ CAD so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full info(full name, address and a cell phone number).
2 - I will go at Airbnb to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - Airbnb will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London. They will also confirm with the building manager that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 - Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody. They will also send you all the payment instructions to complete the rental transaction.
5 - At this point you will have to make a money deposit on the Airbnb bank account for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent ( and damage deposit ) . The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they will charge me an additional fee.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to Airbnb .
7 - Airbnb will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS or TNT Next Day Shipping Service .

8 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apartment and in 5 days (inspection time) you must contact Airbnb to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct Airbnb to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Airbnb can't release the funds without your approval.

Let me know if you have the funds available (1720 CAD$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call or e-mail me.

Thanks
Chris
#222897 by jesuswasacarpenter Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 pm
Hey there,

I'm also very glad I found this website! As recently as a half-hour ago I've been in contact with a "Christopher Wallner" whose original email address was [email protected]. The eastern european writing style fits with the name. Anyways, here is my correspondence with this person (my personal info redacted):

Oct 6 (7 days ago)

to viorikliosa22

Hi there,

I saw the ad for your bachelor apartment on craigslist and might be interested in renting. Is there an open-house or time I could come by to take a look at the place? I'm available after 5pm most days.

About myself, I'm a ----year-old ----------------- student at---------------. I don't smoke, don't have any pets, am quiet, and have excellent references. I'm looking for a quiet place in which to study which receives some direct sunlight, am looking to stay at least 6 months, perhaps 3 years (to the end of my studies here in Vancouver) if it works out.

Thanks!
S------------------

Christopher Wallner <[email protected]>

AttachmentsOct 10 (3 days ago)

to bcc: me

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in 939 Homer St, BC V6B 2V6. The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 740 CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs.

Chris

Oct 11 (2 days ago):

to Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the email, the place sounds great! Is there a time this weekend or during the week when we can meet up and take a look at the apartment? I've got a long weekend this week so can meet up during the day until Tuesday, or after 5pm for the rest of the week.

I can also bring references and a damage deposit or sign a lease agreement if you like. If there is any other information you'd like from me, please just let me know. I can understand wanting to find a good renter for such a nice space. Talk to you soon,

S-----------

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 740CAD and damage deposit 740CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

The apartment is in excellent condition, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. Since at this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom and obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal.The solution is a worldwide third party company called Airbnb (http://www.airbnb.com) ,they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package

We use this company to see that you are an trusting and serious person. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package . With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment. Please be aware that is NOT necessary for you to register with Airbnb given that I'm a registered user for 4 years and I've made over 30 transactions with them so far. They are really professional and they have great services.

My phone number is +44 203 2876 610 (if you are calling from Canada you may need to dial 011-44-203 2876 610). You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.

Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction . You need to know everything about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

Chris
#222956 by mumun Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 pm
Hi All.

Registered just now to share this with you. I too am in contact with Christopher Wallner, re property at 939 Homer, Vancouver. The communication emails are the same as posted here. Sounded so convincing, even sent me his passport scanned, wow! Does he go beyond and forges passport documents too, I wonder?!

Here is just the last email, as of this morning from him:

Hi again (used my name for the first time here),

This transaction is not made face to face, this is the whole reason for using Airbnb, for both of us to be 100% protected. For security and for your peace of mind I had attached an copy of my PASSPORT to see that I am very serious about everything.

Regarding the process, you will only have to deposit to Airbnb the first month of rent from contract and damage deposit 740 $ + 740 $ = 1280 $ CAD so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full info(full name, address and a cell phone number).
2 - I will go at Airbnb to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - Airbnb will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London. They will also confirm with the building manager that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 - Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody. They will also send you all the payment instructions to complete the rental transaction.
5 - At this point you will have to make a money deposit on the Airbnb bank account for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent ( and damage deposit ) . The payment needs to be sent within 24 hours after you receive the transaction details or else they will charge me an additional fee.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to Airbnb .
7 - Airbnb will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS or TNT Next Day Shipping Service .

8 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apartment and in 5 days (inspection time) you must contact Airbnb to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct Airbnb to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Airbnb can't release the funds without your approval.

Let me know if you have the funds available (1280 CAD$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call or e-mail me.

Thanks
#223891 by MikeJ Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:58 pm
Damn!! I knew it! A few days ago I saw this ad, and was just to good to be true! Sent a reply anyways, and when this guy got back to me, I felt immediately that something was not right! And from what I see here, all these posts are all from October 2014, which means that this guy it's active, on Kijiji Calgary he have 3 ads, all with different condos, but the ads are all related!
This guys should be arrested!! Is there anyway to give a lesson to this guy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Oct 19, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Christopher Olsen <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in 738-3 Ave SW, T2P 0G7. The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 700CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs.

Chris

PS : I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment (as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use Outlook 2013, and can see a bit more detailed info about the sender, he's probably using email alias .. Harder to track, but not impossible!!

[email protected] on behalf of < [email protected] >
[email protected] on behalf of < [email protected] >

I truly hope that no one falls into this.. :evil:
#224070 by MikeJ Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:45 pm
This guy today sent me "His passport"

I was thinking of posting it here, but I just think that it's better not! Who knows to whom it belongs.. And then I'm just contributing to even worst things to happen!
#224730 by Canalander Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:00 am
UGH!

I've been conversing with this guy for a few days and found the whole thing really odd, I googled the buidling number and called the building manager who informed me that there had been dozens calls about fake apartments in the building, some poor guy had even sent him money. So I tried tracking this d-bags IP address but of course it wasn't available.

This time he goes by Christopher Olsen, email address [email protected].

Here's the correspondence, it's identical:

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in 738-3 Ave SW, T2P 0G7. The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 700CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs.

Chris

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 700CAD and damage deposit 700CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

The apartment is in excellent condition, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. Since at this moment I'm in London, United Kingdom and obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal.The solution is a worldwide third party company called Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) ,they will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package

#226742 by Paiges27 Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:44 pm
These emails are word for word what I received except the apartment is on Elizabeth street. Did you reply to an ad? Because what alarms me most is that I did not reply to an ad directly for any apartment that matches his description- so is he monitoring other sites stealing people's emails when they respond to other postings? The email he contacted me from is [email protected].
#226970 by diac16 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am
Hello everybody,

I am truly disgusted with this attempted scam, I have been receiving emails from this man who poses as Christopher Willems, he uses these emails: [email protected] / [email protected]. Lines will put down the emails I've been getting, which incidentally are all identical to what I've read with the exception of a small variation in the name and the company uses as an intermediary, now uses Airbnb.

First email:

Hey,

Thank you for your interest in my apartment located in 770 Bay St, Toronto, ON M5G 2J9. The apartment is in excellent condition and it's just like in the pictures, very clean and very well taken. Honestly from point of view I'm sure that you will rent it on spot. I'm not looking to make a business or a profit with the apartment, I'm just trying to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place. The apartment has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It is furnished but if you want you can use your furniture and deposit mine in the storage unit that is located near the building not far away. The rent is 1150 CAD/month with everything included (heat, hydro, water, electricity, cable and internet-full package from Rogers, 2 parking spots, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). You will have full access to all the amenities of the building. Pets are allowed. I stayed in the apartment with my wife for 3 months. I'm a civil engineer and I work for a company that has an auction for a project in construction in London, United Kingdom, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. Everything in the apartment is new so there will be no need for repairs.

Chris

PS : I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment ( as you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition )

Second Email:

Hello ,

Thank you for your reply. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 1150CAD and damage deposit 1150CAD ( last month) with no extra fees and you will have full access to all the amenities of the building. The price will not increase for the whole period that you will stay there. I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment and also which rental contract do you prefer- 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is suitable for both of us.

My phone number is +44 203 2876 610 (if you are calling from Canada you may need to dial 011-44-203 2876 610). You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish.

Chris

Third Email:

Hi again Diana ,

Regarding the process, you will only have to deposit to Airbnb the first month of rent from contract and damage deposit 1150 $ + 1150 $ = 2300 $ CAD so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

Let me know if you have the funds available (2300 CAD$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call or e-mail me.

Thanks
Chris

Fourth Email:

Thank you for sending me your details !

# Tomorrow , first thing in the morning, I will go in person to the Airbnb office , here in London and I will start our transaction .
# I will pay for this transaction some fees, around 100 $ . I repeat that you will NOT pay anything extra !
# Of course , I will give you an email / phone call after everything is done from my part .

Keep you informed !
Have an great day !
Thanks
Chris

This guy sent me his passport, and coincidentally his photo does not match his profile gmail where a photo plus a 30 year young guy shows up, and it is curious that two emails appear: [email protected] / alysha.a. [email protected]

Be careful with that!!!
#226973 by diac16 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:05 am
Paiges27 wrote:These emails are word for word what I received except the apartment is on Elizabeth street. Did you reply to an ad? Because what alarms me most is that I did not reply to an ad directly for any apartment that matches his description- so is he monitoring other sites stealing people's emails when they respond to other postings? The email he contacted me from is [email protected].

Hello Be careful with that, It's scam!!

I received many emails from that guys, the same email address, and the same speech.