You can't win a lottery you haven't entered! Please read here for information on lottery scams.
#2419 by smithfork Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:49 pm
Hi I hope you can help me to answer some questions? On monday 1/14/08 I received an email stating that I had won a $2.000.00.00 lotto from Microsoft World International. I sorta beleived it and replied to a second email requesting my full name, date of birth and place of birth, my address, my home and cell phone numbers as well as a next to kin which is my daughters name & address. I replied giving them all the info. When I received a third email requesting money for the Ministry Department for Nigeria and Lawyers fees and then they want banking information so that they can transfer funds I realized I am being scammed. They are emailing me and calling both phones. I have not answered the phone yet or replied to their latest email. I am scared. Because the answering machine they got on both phones confirmed who I am and a confirmed email address. Can they hack my cell phone or computer or home or steal my identity with the info that they have???? :cry: What should I do at this point?? Just ignore them??Should I contact the credit agency and have some security something put on my credit report??Thank you sooo much for helping. Below I have copied and pasted the three emails I have received.

Smithfork : :) :)

-------------- Original message --------------

MICROSOFT WORLD INTERNATIONAL LOTTO PROMOTION SOUTH AFRICAN BRANCH

WINNING NOTIFICATION

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the Lottery Winners International programs held on the 4th January 2008. Your name and e-mail address attached to ticket number 033-20737-750 with serial number 033-05,batch number 340/1608/RDL, lucky numbers: 9, 21, 23, 31, 40, 46 and Bonus number 8

which consequently won in the category C.you have therefore been approved for a lump sum of US $2.000,000.00 ( TWO MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) This is from the total cash prize of US$120,000,000.00 one Hundred and twenty million United states dollars, shared among Sixty(60) international winners in this category.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep your winning information confidential until your claims has been processed and your money Remitted to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from over 40,000 company and 20,000,000 individual email addresses and names from all over the world. This promotional program takes place every year. This lottery was promoted and sponsored by Association of
software producers. we hope with part of your winning, you will take part in our next year US$20 million international lottery. To file for your claim,
please contact Your claim agent MR.OWEN DOUGLAS immediately via telephone or email to enable him process your claim.

(Customer Services)
Tel number: +27- 73-229-1403 (call)
Fax Number +27 -11 4845 414
Name: MR.OWEN DOUGLAS
FOREIGN SERVICE MANAGER OF AFREDLINK AGENCY,
E-mail: [email protected]
Congratulations once again from all our staff and thank you for being part of our promotions program.

Sincerely,
Promotion Manager
SECOND EMAIL[
/b]
From the Foreign Service Manager,
Mr.Owen Douglas,
Tel +27-732291403
Fax +27 866904428
Date: 15/01/2008.

We received your mail in our office and we are giving you our instant response over the subject matter.

Meanwhile we want to assure you and congratulate you for been truly one of our lucky winners in this program. you are therefore notify that your file has been submitted to this office for processing, upon the receipt of your mail in the draw that was just conducted and the few eligible winners like you were contacted personally for their claim.

This form should be filed by the lottery winner of the stated fund for verification and approval.
kindly fill up the form bellow as to enable us get approval of your claim without further delay.

Name: in full. ............................... ..
Residential
address:.. ........................
Your occupation:..............................
Date and place of birth:.., .............................
Country of residence:.................................... ........
Tel no:...............
Cell no....................... ............
Fax no:........................... .............................. ............................

Your email address:...................... .............................. .........
Next of kin name and address:.t, .................. ....................
.............................. .............................. .............................. ........
Serial
number:..033-05..................... ................
Winning ticket
number:.......9,21 ,23, 31, 40, 46 .and bonus 8........... .............................. .................
amount
won:..2 Million........................ .............................. ......... .......
.our email address:...................... .............................. ..........
I...Mr./ Mrs. ............................. ......hereby declare that the above data are true and in case of any unforeseen circumstances my next of kin has right to claim my total winning. Mr. Owen Douglas shall act as my agent in facilitating the transfer of my funds to me.
Date:......................... .................
sign.......................... ..................

This process is vital and urgent following the instructions given to us for your claim processes.

Do not expose your winning ticket numbers as indicated in my computer record and also keep it secretly until you receive your fund which has been already insured in your name.

Congratulation once more,
(Customer Services)
Tel number: +27-732291403
Fax Number +27 866904428
Name: DR.OWEN DOUGLAS
FOREIGN SERVICE MANAGER.

(call immediately you send the informations to enable me check your details for approval.)

THIS IS THE THIRD EMAIL NOTIFICATION

Subsequent to your email with your information we have received, i am necessitate to inform you that your claim has been approved as I have just checked my system to see that your claim has been registered; you are now qualified to redeem your prize.

I have been instructed to inform you that you can either collect your prize in person that is you can come to our office in south Africa or our branch office in United Kingdom) and visit our OFFICES for your endorsement of some documents for your claim or it can be done and sent to your Bank Account through Bank to Bank telegraphic transfer ,by the assistance of a LAWYER ,the transfer will reach your account within 72 hrs from the date of transfer but for this you Will need a clearance from the South African Ministry of Finance (EXCHANGE CONTROL DEPT.) as you will be receiving your fees in a foreign currency, and AFFIDAVIT which will show that you don't have any bad record whatsoever in South Africa or in your country this can be obtained through the service of a LAWYER by swearing an affidavit on your name at the high court here which will be used to obtain the Clearance certificate and your Lottery winning certificate which is needed for your transfer to be effected.

Since you have been allocated to me to assist you, it is my duty to make sure that you receive your fund because if you don't redeem it before the stipulated date of redemption it will be declared null and void and this money will be sent to Government escrow account as unclaimed fund. So if you have to come in person you have indicate to us and prepare be here in South Africa before the stipulated redemption date, but if you want me to proceed and get a Lawyer to obtain the affidavit on your name and to get the clearance from the South African ministry of finance,you will have to pay for the charges to get the affidavit and the clearance needed to facilitate the transfer of your money to your country.

Note: you are therefore warn not to expose your winning ticket numbers as indicated in my computer record until you receive your fund which has been already insured in your name

Congratulations ! awaiting your urgent response .
Congratulations!
Mr.Owen Douglas.
Claim Agent :?:
Last edited by smithfork on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Please Help!!!
Advertisement

#2420 by Scam Patroller Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:17 pm
Hi Smithfork, well done for spotting the scam before you actually handed any money over.

I sorta beleived it and replied to a second email requesting my full name, date of birth and place of birth, my address, my home and cell phone numbers as well as a next to kin which is my daughters name & address

There is not a whole lot the scammers can do with that information, apart from pestering you, and in the future you might receive phone calls about lottery wins, contract payments or inheritances etc, now if they had your banking information and social security number as well, that would be different story, you would then be wide open to identity theft and fraud done in your name.

Depending on your personal circumstances, and how far you want to go, you could get a new sim card for your cell phone and change your home number, if you think that would bring you more peace of mind, same goes for if you want to register your details with a credit agency, personally, I wouldn't bother if it was me, but if you worry about that sort of thing, feel free to do so.

Simply keep ignoring any phone calls from them, block their email address and forget about them, they will soon get bored when they realise they wont be getting any money from you.

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org

#2421 by ChrisSmith Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:41 am
If you're ignoring them but they keep phoning you, just say "I know this is a scam. Don't call me again". Then put the phone down. As simple as that.
Don't get into any conversation with the scammer.

As Scam Patroller says, once they know you're not on-board the scam, they will move on. But apart from phone calls, you are very likely to be bombarded with scam-mail from now on. You have two choices - you can either change your email address (this time being very cautious about leaving it anywhere on the net) or just be very, very careful about answering any unsolicited mail that arrives in your in-box.

If you choose the latter, I suggest you read up as much as you can about internet fraud so you'll know what to expect. This forum is as good as place as any to start.

And remember: if there's anything you are unsure of, we're always here to answer your questions. :wink: