Room for Rent and other rental scams
#215810 by archer86 Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm
I just found another one of these in Centralia WA. Only a small variation, see below:

Greetings!

Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in West Africa about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself.I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Martin Jeffrey. I and my wife own the house, Due to her job as a Medical Doctor, she works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now she have been transfer to Nigeria to work in a branch in Nigeria. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Nigeria that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

Information about the house below:
the rent is: $500 Security Deposit: $500
2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom
Address: 118 Union Ave, Centralia, WA 98531
Sq. footage: 1600 sq-ft
Pet are also Welcome.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
Name (First name/ Middle name/Surname ) : __________?
Phone numbers (home,cell and office line ) # :__________?
E-mail :__________?
Best time to call :__________?
Marital Status:__________?
How many proposed occupants :__________?
List all in addition to yourself including approx age :__________?
Present Address :__________?
City/State :__________?
Will you have pets :__________?
Please describe Breed, size :__________?
Personality of pet :__________?
Preferred move in date :__________?
Intended length of lease:__________?
Do you agree to pay the payment before you move in:__________?
Earliest possible date of deposit payment:__________?
Length of previous tenancy :__________?
Present occupation :__________?
Are you a section 8 applicant:__________?
Do you work late night :__________?
Do you smoke :__________?
Do you drink :__________?

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT IF DRIVE BY THE HOME YOU MAY SEE A SIGN THERE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IT BELONGS TO OUR PREVIOUS AGENT SO YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND DON'T HAVE TO CALL THEM BECAUSE THEY TO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE HOME ANYMORE! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME YOU CAN ALSO TEXT OR GIVE ME A CALL @ +2348183601658

Martin Jeffrey
Advertisement

#215811 by Bryon Williams Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners archer86,

Thank you for the update. What was the scammers email address? Some people may do a search using the email address. This will help them avoid being scammed.

If you can not physically go inside the property to view it. Consider it a scam. Never send money to anyone you never met face to face.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#216831 by kmiryala Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:03 pm
I got this email for a craigslist posting for a house for rent in HOBBS,NM
I would like to alert everyone
thanks see below

Greetings!

Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in West Africa about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself.I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Glenn E Brunt. I and my wife own the house, Due to her job as a Medical Doctor, she works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now she have been transfer to Nigeria to work in a branch in Nigeria. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Nigeria that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

the rent is: $600 Security Deposit: $600
3 Bedroom 2 Bathroom
Address: 2322 Charlcia Blvd, Hobbs, NM 88240
Sq. footage: 1471 sq-ft
Pet are also Welcome.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

RENT APPLICATION FORM.

TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT IF DRIVE BY THE HOME YOU MAY SEE A SIGN THERE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IT BELONGS TO OUR PREVIOUS AGENT SO YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND DON'T HAVE TO CALL THEM BECAUSE THEY TO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE HOME ANYMORE! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME YOU CAN ALSO TEXT OR GIVE ME A CALL @ +2348183601658

Glenn E Brunt
#218916 by echofive Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:33 pm
I also found this scam for a house in Idaho. It was found on craigslist, so it is not possible for me to give the email from which it originates.
#223505 by Samantha1289 Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 am
My friend found the same Ad on Craigslist here in RICE LAKE, WI!! EXACTLY LIKE THE REST OF THEM JUST WITH A DIFFERENT NAME.

Greetings!
Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in Abuja, about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself.I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Eileen Rivard,I and my husband own the house, Due to his job as a Medical Doctor, he works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now he have been transfer to Abuja to work in a branch in Abuja. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Abuja that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.
the rent is: $500 Security Deposit: $500
3 Bedroom 1 Bathroom
Address:812 Duke St, Rice Lake, WI 54868
City: Rice Lake
State:WI
Zip code: 54868
Sq. footage: 1,350
Pet are also Welcome.
PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
RENT APPLICATION FORM
FIRST NAME:__________________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________ ?
LAST NAME:__________________ ?
PROFESSION:________________ ?
(CELL) PHONE (____)__________
(WORK) PHONE (____)__________ ?
(HOME) PHONE (____)__________ ?
KIDS_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________ ?
CITY:_______________ ?
STATE:______________ ?
ZIP CODE:____________ ?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________ ?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET:_____________ ?
KIND OF PETS:_____________ ?
Comment
TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT IF DRIVE BY THE HOME YOU MAY SEE A SIGN THERE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IT BELONGS TO OUR PREVIOUS AGENT SO YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND DON'T HAVE TO CALL THEM BECAUSE THEY TO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE HOME ANYMORE! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT ME @ +2349091182561
#231732 by CookiePuss Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:29 pm
I got one these scamms too in noth Idaho this was the email address [email protected] and the response I got:

Greetings!

Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in West Africa about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself.I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business. However, My name is Harold L Monzingo. I and my wife own the house, Due to her job as a Medical Doctor, she works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now she have been transfer to Republic of Benin to work in a branch in Nigeria. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Nigeria that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

the rent is: $430 Security Deposit: $430

2 Bedroom 1 Bathroom

Address: 10417 N Camp Ct, Hayden, ID 8383

Sq. footage:950 sq-ft

Pet are also Welcome.

RENT APPLICATION FORM.

Harold L Monzingo
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#236443 by shay91 Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 am
I went to local realtor website and to local people on spokeo. They do research on local houses and who owns it in your area. I did my own research thinking it was a scam. Then they texted and their names matched to who owned the house.the people also said theyd fed ex insteaf of western union.made it se so legit :cry:
#251422 by SallySmith2222 Sun May 17, 2015 3:06 pm
This find definitely saved my boyfriend some money he received 2 emails from these guys

Greetings!

Thanks for your email.. The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in MCMINNVILLE,OR, about 3 years.. Let me start by introducing myself.I must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is David Hibdon. I and my wife Name is Helen Hibdon own the house, Due to her job as a Medical Doctor, she works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center, and now she have been transfer to Indianapolis, IN to work in a branch in MCMINNVILLE,OR,. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Indianapolis, IN that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sale out the house. which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent, because of this reason and more we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

and then after submitting an application this was their response..

Hello Dear,

Thanks very much for your reply and also i can see your willingness in my house, I am really happy you got back to me and I would say you are the one "GOD SENT" because my wife and I are happy that we have finally found a responsible tenant who understands what it takes to rent ones home with great reference that you have provided.We have decided to let you live in our house. As we have found your application very wonderful, satisfactory and acceptable by my family so we would want you to go through the acceptance form so get back to us on what you feel.We would like to send the following document to you via FedEx to the address you sent to us in your Rental Application Form...I also pray that may the peace of the LORD be with you and you family okay.

Please once again, we are giving you this on trust and do not disappoint us and i promise you that, you will love the house. So we are with the below document here with us.you will need to make Payment for the security deposit ($800) so that we can ship out the Keys and documents to the address you have provided to us.Get back to me asap so that we can make arrangement on how you are going to receive the keys and documents of my house.We would like to send the following documents to you via FedEx delivery to the address you sent to us Please reconfirm the address.. The rent starts counting when you move in.

I will also need you to confirm your delivery details and also to answer the below questions so as to certify my worries about you taking charge of my house:

Delivery Name:
Delivery Address:
Phone #:
Below are the contents of the document that will be shipped to you Via FedEx mailing service to the address you gave to me in the Application Form.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2) Paper/Permanent house form(Containing your reference details)
3) The house documentary file.
4) Letter of Access
5) Payment Receipt.
6) Full address and driving direction/description of the house.

So please do get back to me today so that I will let you know the next step to take concerning the payment.

Thanks and Remain Blessed

We thought it seemed very fishy an especially after he submitted the application, a landlord not wanting any credit/background check, them paying all the utilities and just mail you money and you send keys? Pffftt.. thanks for all the post warning of this person and I felt obligated to pay it forward and warn the next person so they dont fall victim to this scammer.
#305181 by jamerson.sarah Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:04 pm
Well, the first thing I did was Google "american red cross lutheran hospital donor center birmingham, alabama"
Planned to call and ask for verification of his employment...
First thing that popped up was this page. Thank you for making it so much easier! Here is his reply to my initial email..

Hello.

The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in Birmingham, Alabama about 3years. Let me start by introducing myself and i must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Dr Powell Bill , I own the house at 2130 Meachem Rd,Battle Creek, MI 49017 Due to my job as a Medical Doctor, I works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center and now i have been transfer to Birmingham, Alabama to work in a branch in Birmingham, Alabama. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue,although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Birmingham, Alabama that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sell out the house which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent and because of this reason we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.
AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Fire pit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security

alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

Rental Price: $650 per month and security Deposit is $250 (Security Deposit is Refundable) Utilities included in monthly rent.
Pets are Welcome.

Here is the address to the house:2130 Meachem Rd,Battle Creek, MI 49017

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM.

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM

Neatly complete all information below. All other applicants over the age of 18 must complete
and sign their own application.

TENANT'S PERSONAL INFORMATION

FIRST NAME: __________________
MIDDLE NAME: __________________
LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ________________
PHONE (____) __________ (WORK)
PHONE (____) __________ (HOME)
MARITAL STATUS: _________
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
PRESENT ADDRESS: ___________________________
CITY: _______________
STATE: ______________
HOW LONG? ___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?________________________________________
CURRENT RENT: _______
PREVIOUS ADDRESS: ___________________________
CITY: ________________
STATE: _______________
HOW LONG? ____________ IF RENTING, APARTMENT.
WHY DID YOU LEAVE? ______________________________________
PREVIOUS RENT: _______
IF THIS APARTMENT IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________
DO YOU AGREE TO PAY THE DEPOSIT BEFORE RECEIVING THE KEYS:-------------
HOW SOON DO YOU INTEND MAKING THE PAYMENT?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
*PETS*
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET: ______________
KIND OF PETS: _____________
WEIGHT: ___________________
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE? ______________
DO YOU DRINK? ______________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____

I CERTIFY that answers given here in are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenet screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above. you can bring in your stuffs and items, only inform me about your move in.Please make sure this questions are fill correctly because the best way you answer with your comment will impress me the more to accept your applications.I know you would want to see the house before making any kind of rental payment , which is understandable.We can make arrangement for the keys and documentation including an Authorization letter to be shipped to you, this will give you the opportunity to view house.
Dr Powell Bill
#305580 by Drew42 Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:07 am
Hi Michelle, same thing here. fraudulant post on CL. The post may have been stolen from a legitimate post on hotpads, taking photos and property information and posting on CL for a lower price. The CL post ID is 5770692226.
The poster email is [email protected] under the name Dr. Stephanie Utley, MD. An MD with no grammatical sense and a hotmail account...
Here is the message "she" sent:

The house is still available. I decided to rent the house because we are going to spend more time here in Columbus, OH about 3years. Let me start by introducing myself and i must confess that I am very new in this landlord business..However, My name is Dr Stephanie Utley , I own the house Due to my job as a Medical Doctor, I works for American Red Cross Lutheran Hospital Donor Center and now i have been transfer to Columbus, OH to work in a branch in Columbus, OH. We spent less time in the States so we could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when We knew how long we are going to stay in Columbus, OH that We decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sell out the house which we tried, but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent and because of this reason we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money , but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours

Thanks for the OP!
Drew
#306617 by Kiisu888 Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 pm
the reply:

YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AND APPROVED BY THE FAMILY

Thanks you very much for your reply, i am so sorry for the late response my daughter was admitted in am Hospital she had an asthma attack but glory be the God she's getting better now......I want you to know that I'm satisfied with your profile which is your rent application form and also believe l can have all my trust in you because l will not like to experience what l experienced from my last tenant again, l showed your profile to my wife and daughter they said they are satisfied with it,l want you to know that we can let you stay in my House till the period of time you wish to.I want you to know that the rent fee are included with all the utilities in the house, so you can use them anytime but make sure you take proper care of my properties.We will come and pay you a visit after you have moved into my House to see how you are maintaining it,I will be receiving the security deposit through money gram money transfer from you because l think it reliable,secured and fast, and moreover, my Christian team and I resided here just few weeks back.l wish you best of luck in your work, from your profile l can see that you are responsible and a hard working person may the almighty God lead you in what ever you wish to do.

Please once again i want you to no that i and my family are doing all this base on trust you and i hope you wil not disappoint us and i promise you that, you will love the house and not only, a good relationship between us. The following documents are here with us as i could find anyone whom i could trust to drop them with for this purpose. But never-mind, FedEx next day delivery service will handle that perfectly for us.In doing this, you will need to make a security deposit which the deposit is refundable (should in case you don't like the house) and send the first month rent fee to us once you are okay with the house to enable the shipment of the Keys and document to your current address that i have here in the rental form, after which you could move in at your convenience.The rent starts counting as from the day you move in you and you will be required to make the first month rental fees at your convenience Here are the contents of the document that needs to be sent.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2) Paper/Permanent house form
3) The house documentary file.
4) Full Description of the house and Address
5) Payment Receipt
6) Signed Lease Agreement Form you are supposed to also sign and get it sent back to me

As soon as the security deposit and rent is sent to my personal secretary information's via Money Gram at any CVS STORE around you so that we can go ahead and commence on how the House Keys / Documents will be delivered to you and i will ensure that i book for the 24 hours FedEx next day delivery service as to enable you receive it on time and as scheduled. Let me hear back from you as soon as possible so that i can arrange for the delivery, You can also give me a call or text me so we can talk on how to proceed (775) 241-3768