Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25211 by Michelle Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm
Date: Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Executive Furnished Two Bedroom Flat For Rent in Cambridge
To: Michelle

Hello Michelle,

Thanks for the email ,This is Mr. John Edward the owner of the apartment and also want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes us to leave the apartment and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it,We are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own.So for now,Me and our daughter are here in West Africa in our new apartment and also with the keys of the apartment will want to rent out now,we try to look for an agent that we can give this document before we left but could not see and we are as well as don't want our apartment to be used any how in our present that is why we took it along to us here and as you know that,We are here in Africa due to my Wife on Christian missionary work of God with the Anglican Church Of Christ,So i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the apartment.So get back to me on how you could take care of our apartment or perhaps experience you have in renting home.Hope you are okay with the price of ( 150GPB Per Week)with hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition, internet connection and so on. i look forward to hearing from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the apartment for rent, and send the KEYS/DOCUMENT to you,also are you ready to rent it now. NOTE:I want you to know that all we are only looking for is a good person that we take very good care of our apartment,If you know that you can't take very good care of it don't email us back.

ADDRESS APARTMENT LOCATION : 191 Mill Road, cambridge, CB1 3AN

======== RENT APPLICATION FORM ========
========= PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL ========

Also,Pls answer these questions below:
1)Your Full Name______________________________________

2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone Number_______________________________

3)How old are you _____________________________

4)Are you married ______________________________ _____

5)How many people will be living in the flat ___________________________

6)Do you have a pet _________________________________________

7)Do you have a car __________________________________________

8 )Occupation _________________________________________________

9)How long are you willing to stay_________________________________________

10)When do you intend to move in _________________________________________

11)1 month Or 2 month deposit needed ______________________________________

12) Pictures of all the Occupant that will stay in my flat ______________________________________

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the keys and the documents to you, please we are giving you all this based on trust and again i want you to stick to your words,We are putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this property of ours and God bless you more as you do this.Please note that you will be viewing the flat from outside and won't be able to inspect the Interior because the keys and the documents to the flat are with me here and It is located on a cool, quiet and safe neighborhood.

Thanks and god bless you.
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Mr&Mrs Edward

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement