Room for Rent and other rental scams
#252186 by letsgetback89 Fri May 22, 2015 8:23 am
I'm SOOOOO Glad I'm Cautious especially of anything being advertised! I've learned to google search all property images by right clicking or by pressing down on the pic for a few seconds. I'm in Birmingham, AL and these scammers are RIDICULOUS! This is my email:

Good to talk to you. Here's some good news: the unit's still available! We thought we had the unit rented to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they're no longer changing residence, so we need to keep searching. You were the 2nd one to contact me.

I am sure you want the exact address of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a standard precaution. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and ripped up. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a walk-through.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a half year lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your credit report. We use this site since it's it gives you 3 scores. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. You can get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 540+.

Let me know when you have an updated version of your credit report. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through.

Thanks again,
Lisa Olson
Advertisement

#257611 by GaBoss Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:59 am
Yet another one...I really really hate these scumbags:

From Scam email address: [email protected]

Email content:

Great to speak with you. Here's some good news: the unit's still available! We thought we had the unit leased to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they are no longer needing to move, so we need to keep searching. You were the second one to reach out to me.

I am sure you want the exact location of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a standard precaution. Last time we did that without verifying people, it was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a walk-through.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you want to come look at the place, then please visit the link below and grab your credit report. All of our tenants use this site because it is widely trusted. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. You can get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 530+.

Once you let me know that you have your report ready, then I can personally schedule a walk through of the place.

Thanks again,
Sandra Hess

----------------------------

Shameful
#260185 by grastogi78 Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 am
I got one of these from Atlanta Craiglist. I found out too late though; however I blocked the charges as well as put in security measures to save my credit reports.

[email protected]
Jul 11 (3 days ago)

Hello Gaurav,

Great to speak with you. Here's some good news: the unit's still available! We thought we had the unit rented to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they can't get out of their current lease, so we need to keep searching. You were the 2nd one to reach out to me.

I know you want the exact address of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a precaution. Last time we did that without being diligent, the empty property was broken into and ripped up. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a walk-through.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a half year term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your credit report. All of our tenants use this site because it is widely trusted. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the report. We are not concerned with any negative scores, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 560+.

Please let me know when you grab your report. I can then schedule you for a showing of the place.

See you soon,
Kim Vaughn
#260866 by paulie_in_SD Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:25 pm
Sadly, I was just about to fill out the form & I thought, lets look this up first...
Sure enough.....

[email protected]
11:30 AM (5 hours ago)

to me
Hello ______,

Good to talk to you. I still have the unit ready to lease. We thought we had the unit rented to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they are no longer needing to move, so we need to keep searching. You were the 2nd one to reach out to me.

I am sure you want the address of the place, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without being diligent, it was broken into and ripped up. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a tour.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month lease if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

If you want us to schedule you for a tour, then please visit the link below and get your report. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and haven't had any problems. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Do not send me the report over mail, bring it to the tour. We'll also waive your security deposit if we see that your rating is above 620+.

Once you let me know that you have your report ready, then I can personally schedule a showing of the place.

Thank you,
Jessa Hilton
#262838 by webbyv0x Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 pm
Here's another one from this scumbag.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015, 5:23 PM  < [email protected] > wrote:

Hello Greg,

Good to talk to you. The good news is that the unit is still available! We thought we had the unit rented to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they're no longer changing residence, so we need to keep searching. You were the 2nd one to e-mail to me about the unit.

I know you want the exact address of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a standard precaution. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a walk-through.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is 12 month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month term if preferred. We require one month notice before moving out, as a courtesy.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request a copy of your credit report. We use this site since it's it gives you 3 scores. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We are not concerned with any negative scores, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 540+.

Once you let me know that you have your report ready, then I can personally schedule a showing of the place.

Thank you,
Jenna Foley
#264269 by kuuipohi Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:20 pm
Found the same scam posted in the Inland Empire section of Craigslist, and flagged it after viewing this forum. I was suspicious that it was too good to be true, since I didn't get a reply back about submitting my own credit monitoring company report in lieu of Efreescore.com.

Just as everyone else in this forum received an email reply, so did I recieve the same... word-for-word:

On Aug 18, 2015 10:50 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Shan,

Great to speak with you. I still have the unit ready to lease. We thought we had the unit leased to someone that we gave a walk-through to today, but now it seems that they are no longer needing to move, so we need to keep searching. You were the 2nd one to reach out to me.

I know you want the exact location of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a precaution. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and ripped up. As you can imagine, we want to avoid that! That is why we require you to confirm you recieved your most current credit report before we setup a tour.You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. For the FIRST time, we are allowing pets at this property. The rental term is one year, but can be switched into a 6-month term if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

If you want us to schedule you for a tour, then please visit the link below and get your report. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and haven't had any problems. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your score, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Keep in mind that you only have to bring your report to the tour. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 530+.

Let me know when you have an updated version of your credit report. Then I'll schedule you for a walk through.

Thanks again,
Jenn Richter
#288699 by chellstoddard Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am
Same scam in Oklahoma. Looking for hoe near Lawton, OK. It was for a home rental--rent to own--deal. Very nice house. Like others here, it was on craigslist, and the ad did not use, craigslist coded email, renter provided a direct email.

The language was almost exactly the same and led me to the efreescore.com site. I googled efreescore.com and got the website s well as several scam alerts. Scared me a bit, cause it seemed legit. Amazing that the wording is so alike.

Glad I checked here. I suspect the same scam is going on across the country, even in smaller towns.

The email message is here:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the property listed for rent. You were the second to e-mail from the ad. The first prospective renter no longer had to move because of his work situation. So we give the opportunity to you. We are currently ready to rent with flexible terms and just completed all new renovations. We will work with you on move in date, lease security deposit and length.

I know you need the exact address of the property but we do want not to divulge the address before you are qualified. We have had a string of break ins, squatters and thefts at our other properties. We would like to avoid that with this property due to the renovations that have cost a lot of money. You are going to be the first to move in with the renovations.

All utilities are priced into the lease along with garage parking spaces. The appliances in the kitchen as well as laundry room were just installed. You have the option to choose your paint color and flooring before your move in

When you're ready to schedule an appointment to see the place, then please go to the link below to get your credit report. We use this site since it's it gives you 3 scores. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the report. We are not concerned with any negative report items, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Do not send me the report over mail, bring it to the tour. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 560+.

Let me know when you have an updated version of your credit report. Then I'll schedule you for a showing.

See you soon,
Claudia
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#292711 by James Faison Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:52 pm
Hello James,
Kayli K

[email protected]

RE: Single Family Home Ready For Lease In Pelham Now 2 Bedroom, 2 &1/2 Bath Pelham H

Thank you for your interest in the property listed for rent. You were the second to reach out from the ad. The first prospective tenant no longer had to move because of his work situation. So we give the opportunity to you. We just completed all new renovations and are currently prepared to lease with flexible terms. We will work with you on move in date, lease security deposit and length.

I understand that you want the precise address of the property but we do want not to divulge the address before you're qualified. We have had a string of break-ins, squatters and thefts at our other properties. We would like to prevent that with this property because of the renovations that have cost lots of money. You are going to be the first to move in with the renovations.

All utilities are priced into the lease along with garage parking spaces. The appliances in the kitchen as well as laundry room were just installed. You have the option to choose your paint color and flooring prior to your arrival

When you're ready to schedule an appointment to see the place, then please go to the link below to get your report. We recommend this site because all of our tenants used it and haven't had any problems. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the report. We are not concerned with any negative report items, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Do not send me the report over mail, bring it to the tour. We'll waive your security deposit if your score is above 540+.

Thanks,
kayli
#293322 by SMHKCMO Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:12 am
My husband and I are looking for a rental property and have responded to several ads on Craigslist in Kansas City and listings on Zillow and Trulia Rentals. Several of the "too good to be true" listings sent this same canned response e-mail to both of us:

Hello Shannon,

Thank you for your interest in the property listed for rent. You were the second to reach out from the ad. The first prospective renter no longer had to move because of his work situation. So we give the opportunity to you. We are now ready to rent with flexible terms and just finished all new renovations. We will work together with you on move in date, lease security deposit and length.

I understand that you want the exact address of the property but we do want not to disclose the address before you're qualified. We have had a string of break ins, squatters and thefts at our other properties. We want to avoid that with this property due to the renovations that have cost a great deal of money. You will be the first to move in with the renovations.

All utilities are priced into the lease along with garage parking spaces. The appliances in the kitchen as well as laundry room were just installed. You have the option to pick your paint color and flooring before your arrival

When you're ready for a personal appointment, then please go to the link below and grab your report. All of our tenants use this site because it is widely trusted. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We are not concerned with any negative report items, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. Simply get your report by CLICKING HERE

Remember, print out the report and bring it to the tour.. We typically waive the security deposit with a score of 660+.

Please let me know when you grab your report. I can then schedule you for a walk through of the place.

Thanks,
Sandy

The e-mails always have .xyz. ie: Marsh Sandy <[email protected]>

We almost filled out the credit form, until we realized you have to give your credit card information for the "free 7 day trial membership".

Are they scamming to get your credit card info or identity? Whatever it is, we aren't buying into it and we definitely are not happy to be lead on. People suck sometimes.
#293343 by Mike Wilson Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 pm
These fake rental ads and the canned response with the CLICK HERE are used for the sole purpose of driving traffic to a credit monitoring company. If you give your credit card information and click submit you are signing up for a credit monitoring service with a monthly fee just under $30 per month. They claim that you can cancel but they are nearly impossible to contact and cancel.

Here is what I found in one that I checked earlier this week.

On the home page in small print.

Monthly membership of $29.94
automatically charged after trial

On the second page of the where you input your personal information. Once again in small print.

By clicking Submit and Continue I agree by electronic signature to:

(1) be contacted by CreditUpdates.com about financial services or credit related offers by a live agent,
artificial or prerecorded voice, and SMS text at my residential or cellular number,
dialed manually or by autodialer, and by email (consent to be contacted is not a condition to purchase services);

This gives them permission to send you emails and make robo calls to you phone numbers even if you are on the do not call list.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon