Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
Advertisement

#2530 by Underwater Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:40 pm
You are quite welcome. It was great to talk to you, and I'm pleased I was able to save you from getting scammed. These scammers are getting better and better, and it is so easy to get taken if you haven't encountered this type of thing before. I encourage you to read all of the descriptions of scams on here, as it will be a real eye-opener to their strategies and techniques.

#2542 by Nick Smith Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:43 am
Hi Stern, I'm glad my colleague was able to warn you in time... good on you. :D

And well done to underwater. :D

#2545 by Ralph Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:46 am
Hi Stern

We as warners spend lots of time as volunteers to keep people we don't know from being scammed.

It is unfortunate that our numbers are so few and the number of scammers so high because we tend to take it to heart when people lose money to scammers.

You can help us in a very simple yet effective way by telling people about these scams, read up on the internet, there are many sites devoted to warning people about scams, do some google searches on 419 scam, advanced fee fraud or check mule, learn the warning signs of a scam and spread the word to others about it.

There is no road to wealth for the honest on the internet and the scams out there are diverse and ever changing, the number one rule to remember however in all scams is this

If it sounds too good to be true, it's bound to be a scam.