Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#250584 by jeanp Mon May 11, 2015 5:56 pm
Recently I've been in search of a job and decided to use the listings on Craigslist. I stumbled upon several local ones and then there were some with offers of high pay for "Office work." I immediately responded to an ad that called for an office clerk assistant with promises of $25 pay hourly, email [email protected]. Within a day, I received a response from another email addressee, Thomas Dwyer "Thomas Dwyer" <[email protected]>

The clever "employer" stated that the position needed was not the one listed, that in fact he was in search of a personal assistant to tend to his errands while he travels.

According to this Dwyer person, he is an artist that travels a lot and is in urgent need of an assistant. He never asked for a resume but did ask me some strange questions such as if I understood what petty cash is and if I follow the terms of privacy and conduct. I figured this was odd but I replied to him and after several email exchanges he said I was hired and provided me his number but said it was only for "texting".

Never bothered to call for a phone interview, instead said something about being on a business trip in hawaii for 2 weeks and this is where a huge red flag came up, he said in order to work for him I need some personal equipment. He said he would have a laptop, printer/fax/scanner and cell phone sent to me, but here's the catch. He would mail me a "check" that I'd then have to deposit, withdraw and wire money through western union.

He never told me where he lived or who would be sending the check, but after about 4 days I received priority mail with a cashiers check enclosed. The address label on the envelope was from new york, while the check was made out of a bank from Dallas. Nothing matched up. Still, I wanted to see where this was going so I went ahead and deposited the check since my bank has a 9-day hold on checks. I'd find out sooner or later if this was even real.

I immediately texted this man and told him of the situation, as expected he was furious and his solution was that I use my own funds to wire to his "shippers." I played along and I said I'd figure out what I could do and made him believe I'd be sending over cash the next day. I did a quick google search of scammers online and found that the [email protected] email address had been flagged as a scam.

The following day I emailed him and told him I didnt have that kind of money at my disposal (he wanted $2795) and never heard from him again. I checked my account the other day to see if the check went through and sure enough it was returned.

These people are running scams all over craigslist and other online employment engines scamming people out of money by offering them jobs and money without even actually having them do any work for them. I am appalled and upset that there are these kind of scumbags lurking stealing money from innocent people who really are in need of jobs.
Last edited by Bubbles on Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added spacing for readability.
Advertisement

#250590 by Dotti Mon May 11, 2015 6:54 pm
I'm glad you realized that this was a scam before you sent any money.

In the future, though, I would recommend that you not try to deposit suspect checks to your account.

Even if the fraud is detected by the bank within the first day or two, the mere act of attempting to deposit a fraudulent check can get your account frozen and result in fines from your bank and even a visit from the police if the bank chooses to file a fraud report.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#250607 by vonpaso xlura Mon May 11, 2015 11:54 pm
Please print out all messages between you and this scammer and show them to the fraud department of your bank. Explain that you are a victim of a scam, not a criminal in the business of passing fake checks.

In the future, as soon as you recognize that something is a scam, cease all contact with the scammer. Do not attempt to play with scammers using your real-life identity.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#250610 by Bubbles Tue May 12, 2015 12:27 am
Welcome to ScamWarners. To add to the above, drop all contact with this criminal. They have too much information on you, so do not continue to communicate with them.

Thank you for posting this information for others to learn from.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#250624 by AlanJones Tue May 12, 2015 2:30 am
jeanp wrote:Still, I wanted to see where this was going so I went ahead and deposited the check since my bank has a 9-day hold on checks. I'd find out sooner or later if this was even real.

Unfortunately, this short hold offers you no real protection against a good quality fake check. If the check was drawn on a rarely used account, then it could be weeks or even months before the account holder noticed the fraudulent payment and complained to his bank. The credit to your account would still have been reversed, even after all of that time.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#255829 by Goldmember Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
jeanp wrote:Recently I've been in search of a job and decided to use the listings on Craigslist. I stumbled upon several local ones and then there were some with offers of high pay for "Office work." I immediately responded to an ad that called for an office clerk assistant with promises of $25 pay hourly, email [email protected]. Within a day, I received a response from another email addressee, Thomas Dwyer "Thomas Dwyer" <[email protected]>

The clever "employer" stated that the position needed was not the one listed, that in fact he was in search of a personal assistant to tend to his errands while he travels.

According to this Dwyer person, he is an artist that travels a lot and is in urgent need of an assistant. He never asked for a resume but did ask me some strange questions such as if I understood what petty cash is and if I follow the terms of privacy and conduct. I figured this was odd but I replied to him and after several email exchanges he said I was hired and provided me his number but said it was only for "texting".

Never bothered to call for a phone interview, instead said something about being on a business trip in hawaii for 2 weeks and this is where a huge red flag came up, he said in order to work for him I need some personal equipment. He said he would have a laptop, printer/fax/scanner and cell phone sent to me, but here's the catch. He would mail me a "check" that I'd then have to deposit, withdraw and wire money through western union.

He never told me where he lived or who would be sending the check, but after about 4 days I received priority mail with a cashiers check enclosed. The address label on the envelope was from new york, while the check was made out of a bank from Dallas. Nothing matched up. Still, I wanted to see where this was going so I went ahead and deposited the check since my bank has a 9-day hold on checks. I'd find out sooner or later if this was even real.

I immediately texted this man and told him of the situation, as expected he was furious and his solution was that I use my own funds to wire to his "shippers." I played along and I said I'd figure out what I could do and made him believe I'd be sending over cash the next day. I did a quick google search of scammers online and found that the [email protected] email address had been flagged as a scam.

The following day I emailed him and told him I didnt have that kind of money at my disposal (he wanted $2795) and never heard from him again. I checked my account the other day to see if the check went through and sure enough it was returned.

These people are running scams all over craigslist and other online employment engines scamming people out of money by offering them jobs and money without even actually having them do any work for them. I am appalled and upset that there are these kind of scumbags lurking stealing money from innocent people who really are in need of jobs.

Hi , the position you requested is no more available , but i don't know if you will be interested in other job available right away , My name is Timothy Smith , I am looking for someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time.
Someone who can offer me these services: Mail services: Receive my mails and drop them off at UPS (nothing illegal)

Shop for Gifts ,Bill Payment Sit for delivery( at your home) ,Purchase of Electronics , pick items up at nearby post office at your convenience.

Let me know if you will be able to offer me any of these services. I should probably tell you more about the job...... This job is flexible so you can do it wherever you are available and if there is a post office in the area. In addition to that, I don't mind you doing all of the tasks during your spare time outside of work or school..

I wish I could meet up with you to talk about this job in person but I am currently away on business. I am in Canada so there will be no interview. I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping and have my mails/packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at home to get the mails, I can have them shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick them up at your convenience.

All errands will be in your city/town so It is not a must that you have a car for the job, you can go places by bus or taxi. When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to.

You won't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping.

You are allowed to open the packages to reveal the content. The content of the packages will be business and personal mails... All
expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work between 15 and 20 hrs a month. How much will you charge per week? I will pay $400
Weekly.. That is not a bad offer is it? I need your service because I am constantly out of town.

I will return from CANADA next 2 weeks so this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term.

Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position.

Thanks for your time.

I await your prompt response

Timothy Smith
>
This is what I got after inquiring about a cashiers position. What a scumbag. I need work desperately to catchup on child support and help out my ex and kids. These people pray on us who are struggling. Thank his for this website
>
>
>
>
>
> http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/lab/5029314472.html
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
#259399 by starfisher25 Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm
Received nearly the exact same email back regarding the 400$/week payment for running errands for a Timothy Smith who is in Canada on business right now......
Definitely a scam that has yet to be squashed.
#259449 by Coopaloop Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:19 am
The exact same thing happened to me. After he sent me the "you were selected email" I knew something was up. I told him I needed something like a website or linked in url so I can know who I will be working for if I accept the position. Luckily I found this website in time and have not and will not continue any communication with this criminal.