Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#26019 by chainfree Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:44 am
This is a new one on me - what say you? Seems like scammers will try anything but how dim do they think we are? paying for what? an empty box!!? with maybe rags!

Picture of this person
Picture of this person
i
No name
Subject: CONTACT DHL COMPANY FOR YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 03 March 08:25

Hello My Dear, xxxxxxxxxx

I have paid the fee for your Cheque Draft. but the manager of Eko Bank Togo told me that before the check will get to you that it will expire. So I told him to cash $800,000.00 us dollar and all the necessary arrangement of delivering the $800,000.00 in cash was made with DHL DELIVERY COURIER COMPANY.

This is the informations they need to deliver your package to you. with DHL DELIVERY COURIER COMPANY, contact them now. BELOW IS THE DHL DELIVERY COURIER COMPANY INFORMATION'S. NAME: DHL COURIER DELIVERING COMPANY.

ATTANTION: PERSON: REV.LEONARD AKUMA
POSITION: FOREIGN DELIVERY DEPARTMENT.
ADDRESS: LOME TOGO REPUBLIC.
E-MAIL:([email protected])
PHONE NUMBER; +228-758-94-39

Please Send them your contacts information to enable them locate you immediately they will arrived in your country with your BOX. This is what they need from you.

YOUR CONTRY..............
YOUR FULL NAME................
YOUR HOME ADDRESS...............
YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.............

The only money you have to pay them to receive your consignment Box to your door step is $100.00 for their Security keeping fee, Please make sure you send this needed informations to the Director General of DHL DELIVERY COURIER COMPANY TOGO REPUBLIC,REV.LEONARD AKUMA with the address given to you. Note. The DHL Delivery Courier Company doesn't know the contents of the Box. I registered it as Box of African cloths.

They don't know that it contents money. This is to avoid them delaying with the Box. Don't let them know that your Box contains money. I sincerely apologise for contacting you very late, it was due to some prevailing circumstance beyond my control. I am out of the country for investment. I instructed DHL not to carry on the despatch until you contact them to avoid wrong delivery. I supposed to contact you last week, but I was very busy. Thanks and Remain Blessed.

David Wilson Esq
Private Email..([email protected])
Advertisement

#26023 by Arnold Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:08 am
chainfree wrote:an empty box!!? with maybe rags!

Not even that. Pay the $100, and further demands for larger fees will follow. It's just an advance fee fraud, but one that doesn't explain why anyone would be sending you a lot of cash.

#33430 by tonka Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 am
I had one similar to this and very nearly fell for it! Reason being was I ordered rare books from abroad using DHL service courier. The contents I ordered we valued over EUR550. I received the email just a day after ordering. How on earth they knew I ordered something is beyond my comprehension (it still bewilders me). Fortunately I phoned DHL and they stated that my order was in fact received at customs in my country as postage paid was priority next day air. I always make a point of calling head office of companies I order with for delivery to ensure its not a scam.

Tonka
#33432 by Dotti Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 am
Unfortunately, some people fall for this scam. In some cases, it may be that the victim believes there is real money that was intended for someone else, and the victim sees an opportunity to claim the "shipment" as his own. If a victim believes this, they will ask few questions, concerned that they will be caught. This makes it easier for the scammer to manipulate them.

Tonka has a good point regarding scams sent from fake shipping company addresses.

Scams (and viruses) disguised as emails from shipping companies like DHL, Fedex, or UPS are sometimes effective simply because of timing. If the recipient is really expecting some kind of package, he/she may not look closely at the content of the email, but will simply assume that it is related to the expected package and click on a link or reply to the email. One virus that circulates fairly oten uses a fake UPS email that contains an attachment that is supposed to contain "shipment details." Of course the attachment is actually a virus, and opening it will infect your computer.

If you receive an email of any kind that is supposed to be from a shipping company, even if you are expecting something, you should use caution before opening attachments, following links, or getting into email correspondence. Ask yourself whether the email address used was in any way involved in the order, and whether you requested shipping updates. If the email really came from the shipping company, there should be some basic information specific to the order that you can verify. If you are unsure, contact the company you bought the product from, or go to the shipping company's website (do not follow a link in the email--google their address and type it in) and use their contact form to ensure the email is legitimate.

And if the "shipment" involves money you weren't expecting, it is a scam!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.