Information on romance scams and scammers.
#260502 by TruckinMama1944 Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:27 am
Yep...I am now a Victim of being Scammed. I was going to post this yesterday...but, was much too depressed. Feelin like such a FOOL!!!! Because years ago I was Scammed, but in a different way. Ya think I'd LEARN. But, I guess some people never do... Anyway, this is how it began: I posted on Craigslist.org I was seeking to find a Rancher up in Alberta/Edmonton, Canada...I wish to relocate up there due to being sick-n-tired of livin in the Arizona Desert since 1974. Want a COOLER climate!!! Want Four Seasons. Anyway, one of these Scammers picked my post to reply to... I'm not sure whether his name is Williams Cole...or Cole Williams. He sent me 3 pics....2 of him & his 6 yr. old daughter, Mary. He claimed his Wife died a few years back. He told me he's a Professional Soldier in Darfur Sudan. We'd only been emailing for a few days when he said he was IN LOVE with me. He said he'd move to Canada with me. He said he was tired of living in California. He said he had a car...& would come here...pick me up...& we'd move to our NEW LIFE. Ya see, I am so lonely...& just wanting to find someone to love & to love me. Wanting it SO BAD... I fell for this. Then, he emails me yesterday & sends me a Form Letter of which I must type in my name...& request Casual Leave for him to come here. He'll give this to his Commander...& they'll get in touch with me because there'll be a Processing Fee. ***I thought, OH SHIT*** He told me that his "account was blocked" while he's over there...& once he got back to The States...he'd REIMBURSE me. YEAH, RIGHT!!!!! He game me this number: U.S. ARMY UN/009/16770/UNAMID I googled that yesterday & my heart BROKE in to a zillion pieces. NIGERIAN SCAMMERS Because he had talked about me as his Wife. That I'd have to explain in this Form Letter to his Commander that I was his Fiancee. Anyway, I wrote him back yesterday & told him if the Processing Fee was $50+, I can't do it. I have not, as of yet, heard back. But, when I do... I'm going to tell him that I SAVED every one of his emails. That SOMEONE broke my heart in to zillions of pieces... Because I trusted... Believed in... Just wanting it SO BADLY... And, I'm probably goin to have to go in to Therapy for this. Possibly go on anti-depressants. So STUPID am I. Yep. It's AMAZING what we do for LOVE... Because we're LONELY... And, fall for this SHIT. It's too bad the pics he sent he probably stole off of Facebook....cuz that guy in the pics is GOOD LOOKIN!!!!!!!! I wish this were all REAL. But, if it seems TOO GOOD to be TRUE... It probably ISN'T. Thank you for your time!!
Advertisement

#260537 by Tim Atem Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:33 am
First of all, cut all communications with him. Don't tell him you're on to him, just let him think you dropped off the face of the earth.

Second of all, don't be so hard on yourself. These people are professional liars. They've had years to perfect their skills and it's all they do, all day, all night. Anyone could fall for a romance scam. So don't feel like you're an idiot.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but at least you got suspicious and it brought you here before you got any deeper into the scam. You should feel proud of yourself for that.

Unfortunately the internet is full of these scammers - Ad sites, dating sites, job sites, auction sites .... they're not going anywhere anytime soon. But now, at least, you know what red flags to look for.

And also know that military NEVER have to pay for leave. ONLY the service member can request leave for themselves. Wives can't even request leave for their husband let alone a fiance. Service members ALWAYS have access to their needs and their finances.

If you can, could you post his email addresses and/or emails and the photos he's using (marked with "used by scammer") or feel free to pass information on to any of the warners or advisors here and we'll be happy to post it as well. This will help warn future potential victims.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#260543 by TruckinMama1944 Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:51 am
I just received another email from him. From Cole Williams. I told him that I just didn't have the money to send him...& he said he understands that. He says, "Now, what are we going to do?" And, then, he wants me to send his daughter a Birthday gift this Saturday...she'll be 6. She wants an IPOD4. He gave me an address in NY in which to ship it. He said he's VERY bummed right now cuz he knows I can't send any money. He's trying to think of another way to get back to The States. He said he got in to trouble yesterday from his Commander...he said he just wasn't thinking right...said his mind was worrying about me. He said he loves me...wants to be with me...is trying to figure out how to get here. He calls me "MY ANGEL". His email address is: [email protected] How do you put attachments on here? I know you asked me to post the pics that he sent me..... I will...just tell me how... Thank you!!! ***still feeling BUMMED cuz the pics he sent me...I surely WISH they were HIM. VERY attractive man. I COULD love this man & his daughter. She's a cutie pie.***
#260566 by HillBilly Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:27 am
TruckinMama1944, I can only reiterate what Tim has already told you..... Cease ALL communications with the scammer. Block his emails, delete them without reading them, do whatever is required to stop the communications.

as long as he thinks he has a chance at stealing your money, he will use every tactic in his toolbox to separate you from your money and make it his money ( you can use possessions instead of money if you want, you'd still be paying for the possessions anyhow).

Don't leave the door open for him to try another tactic on you. Forget being "NICE", just pretend as if you have fallen off the face of the earth. You are not required to give him an explanation, and truthfully, he does not deserve one. Let him think about why you went away.

see the link at the bottom of my post for how to put up pictures here in the forum.

#260660 by Tim Atem Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 am
Please do not reply to any more of his emails, phone calls, nothing!

I surely WISH they were HIM. VERY attractive man. I COULD love this man & his daughter. She's a cutie pie.***

HE's NOT REAL. Those are stolen photos that he is using. At the same time he's telling you all of these things, he's telling 10 other women the same thing. These people are professional liars and will tell you whatever you want to hear just to get to your money.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the reality of this scam. These men lie, cheat and steal using good people's emotions to play them like a fiddle.

I'm sorry this has happened to you but by continuing communication with him, you are only going to allow him to continue to emotionally manipulate you.

#260662 by TruckinMama1944 Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:14 am
I know you're RIGHT. THE TRUTH HURTS. It's just that when a person is LONELY...& just wanting someone to love & love them...almost to the desperate point... I mean I'm NOT a young beauty, anymore... I'm almost 60...& Menopause got me...battle of the bulge. And, when someone talks sweet nothings to me...even tho I know it's most likely bullshit cuz it's THE NET....still.... Ya just WISH... I CAN DREAM; CAN'T I???!!!!! Cuz my life is one big FANTASY. I just wanted THIS to be REALITY.... SOOOO BADLY. And, he seemed to understand that I CAN'T send money. And, he said he'd try to figure out SOME WAY... Yup... Thank you for your time. And, your replies. Ya know how this ol INTERNET just SUCKS ONE RIGHT IN... And, I'm VULNERABLE, anyway... NAIVE, etc. PRIME TARGET. But, I will NOT send money....I PROMISE you that. Cuz that would REALLY BE MUCHO CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! I'm a NUTCASE; but, NOT TO THAT DEGREE!!!!!!!!! I've read on here some ladies send $1,250....they actually did it. I WILL NOT. Cuz I know when you're in the Military...& you want a LEAVE....all you do is go to your C.O.....there is NO PROCESSING FEE. I KNOW THIS. I just WISH....JUST ONE TIME....I could find something REAL on here... JUST ONE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd just HATE to die ALONE. I just want someone to LOVE...& to LOVE me. And, I LOVE all of those sweet nothings.....I think ALL women do. Where I have TROUBLE is finding MUTUAL attraction. When I send my pics, I never hear back. I should caption them: "THE SCARECROW" Now, Cole told me I'm a BEAUTIFUL woman. HOW I NEED THAT!!!!!!!!!! But, yeah, he's probably telling TEN other women THE SAME THING... IT IS THE SCAM. I KNOW. THE TRUTH HURTS!!!!!!!!
#260679 by Tim Atem Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:38 am
These are the scams that I absolutely despise because Romance scammers take much more than just money from their victims. Believe me, you're not alone and we do understand. That's why these scammers are so successful at what they do. They target people just like you. It hurts for now, but you will heal. There are many many many romance scam victims on these boards. I invite you to stick around and read through some of the posts on the romance threads. If there's any victims reading your posts now, perhaps they will reach out to you, too.

If anything good can come out of this, is that you have been able to warn other victims. And you also now know what red flags to look for if you are contacted by another scammer (and now that they have your email address, you will be contacted by more). I wish I could tell you that meeting someone online is as easy as it use to be, but I can't. You just have to be careful next time, unfortunately that's how it is. Perhaps there's a support group in your area. Or perhaps there's hobby groups in your area with similar interests as you? I'm truly sorry for what you're going through.

If you have any other information on this guy, please do post it for any other victims that may be doing internet searches on him.

#260905 by Tim Atem Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:35 am
Romance scammer Williams Cole or Cole Williams using the email address [email protected] and the US phone number 1-707-726-8166

These stolen photos are being used in romance scams under the name Joseph Jackson in addition to Cole Williams and/or Williams Cole!

The initial message sent to the victim:

To: <snipped>
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2015 1:57 PM
Subject: Hello I saw your post on craiglist. i am also seeking a woman like you too

Hello My Name Is Williams Cole Single Man i have never been married i
like what you wrote on your profile on Craigslist i will like to hear
back from you feel free to text me on here 707-726-8166

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original craigslist post:
<snipped>
About craigslist mail:
http://craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay
Please flag unwanted messages (spam, scam, other):
http://craigslist.org/mf/7baac2a8540e7d ... d56e8d6.15

Another email:

Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:18 AM
Subject: Re: "Sorry, Williams!!"

Yes you will have to apply for a casual leave for me to come back to
the state and we will do that together i will help you with that
i don't really know the amount once you contact the office there will
reply you i guess so there will explain to you more better my love
okay i will help you write it

this is the letter you will send it [email protected]
Dear Sir,
I,................... hereby apply for the casual leave of Williams
Cole a US ARMY UN/009/16770/UNAMID serving in Sudan for the peace
keeping mission, am his future wife. We need to attend to a family
issues which is very urgent in order to plan for our future and also
have a better conversation with him. I will be grateful if my
application can be granted. I shall take all the charges as my
responsibility, i will be looking forward to hear from you.
Your faithfully,

you will fill your name in the space did you understand my love
please get back to me as soon as possible love

#260907 by Tim Atem Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:41 am
The phone number also brought up another Williams Cole with a fake ad on Manta:

Williams & Williams Medical
Los Angeles, CA 90035 - View Map
williams cole
Additional Contact Information
Primary Phone | (707) 726-8166
Primary Email | [email protected]

There was also a scam warning for this phone number responding to services offered ads on another site:

watch Out For Jackie Davids Mary Jan 707-726-8166 Scammer
Date Posted : 2014-01-09
Category : Skilled Trade Services

*************Hello I just moved into a new apartment and i would be needing your
services. there is a lot i would like to show and tell you about what
you would be doing in the new apt but first i want you to confirm your
available to do the job and also i want to know the areas you
service.Text me or Call me 707-726-8166****************

#263748 by Tim Atem Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:33 pm
Reported by the OP:

To:
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:48 AM
Subject: MILITARY COMMAND CASUAL LEAVE

The UN/US ARMY vacation department has looked into your application requesting for a casual leave for our reputable officer WILLIAMS COLE of service number UN,US ARMY 009, 16770 ,UNAMEL who is currently serving in the war region of Sudan AFRICA.
We are pleased to inform you that the first step has to be taken,You are to pay the processing fee of ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLAR (1,550.00) and you are to fill the attached document properly and return with the scanned copy of the receipt of your payment.

You are to pay the processing fee to the UNITED NATIONS ARMY(Unamil) African Headquarter NIGERIA to the cash officer, through Western Union Money transfer or Money gram Transfer option while we are waiting for confirmation signal from Darfur, Sudan on the specific date that your spouse will be visiting you, without any delay.
You are to make the payment via Western Union money transfer with the following information:-

Western Union Money Transfer ... PAYMENT INFORMATION

NAME:OLUWADAMILARE MUYIWA SEUN

ADDRESS:NIGERIA

CITY:LAGOS

ZIP CODE:00234

TEXT QUESTION:YOUR NAME
TEXT ANSWER:YOUR HUSBAND NAME

#264228 by Tim Atem Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:22 pm
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Casual Leave For Williams Cole

Hello love I really miss mailing you how you doing have been really
busy we went on a mission and can you imagine small kids at the age of
16 15 are terrorist can't imagine I was so surprise at what I saw that
there came attacking us but we killed few of them.
And I already spoke with the commander he said he has reply all mail
for casual leave and I told him he didn't reply my wife then he told
me to give him your name he said he has replied you and he did again
in my present and he sent it to me too so have you receive the mail
and how you doing I always pray our dream come through ME,YOU,MARY,and
our baby BABY BOY you said you where going to do something so what the
thing and what you plan
I do really miss you and can't wait to set my eye on you and Mary is
willing to meet you also awaiting for your reply because am kind of
available today