Room for Rent and other rental scams
#262500 by Michelle Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:56 am
Date: July 30, 2015 at 11:18:53 AM EDT
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: Re: Rental Inquiry from Ottawa Living

Hello,

Glad to hear from you. As I told you before the rent for 1 month will be 910CAD everything included and also you will have full access to all the building amenities. The rent will not increase for the entire rental period. I need to know how many people will stay in the apartment and also what type of rental contract do you prefer: 6 months with option of renewal or 1 year with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my Canadian Bank Account (TD Bank) or any other payment method that is suitable for both of us. The apartment is in excellent condition like in the pictures and you just need to receive the keys and contract so you can check the place.
At this moment I'm located in London, United Kingdom and I think we need a safe way to complete this deal therefore the solution is provided by a worldwide third party company called Deposit Protection Service (www.depositprotection.com). They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package and using their service you will be able to check the apartment before any funds are released to me. You will have full control of the payment until you will check the apartment. I'm registered with this company since 2009 and I have a record of 7 transactions as landlord and as a tenant also. They are really professional and they have great services.
If you have any other questions about the process you can reach me any time at: +44 020 3286 5013 (if you are calling from Canada or United States you need to dial 011-44-20-3286 5013) or you can email me and I will respond ASAP.
I will wait for your email if you are interested so I can provide you with all the steps of this transaction, everything that you need to know about this process before we get this started. I think is right for both of us.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement