Has someone offered you a huge sum of money or a valuable consignment? It's a 419 or advance fee fraud - find out how they work, and what to do to be safe.
#26729 by lgbott Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:37 am
I need help in a scam. I believe I fell into one with money involved Can someone help me. the company 's web is pwequitygroup.com. I dont know what to do or how to do it. Please Help
Advertisement

#26744 by lgbott Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:03 pm
I applied for a loan on the internet through priority loans, received a call about a week later from a guy named Chris Wagner at the number 1-888-405 3376. He stated that I was approved for me to call him back at that number extension 369. i eventually called him and he sounded very professional like the buisness type man. He told me i was approved for $5,000.00 and if i was interested he could help me with the loan. He faxed a loan agreement and also advised me that I needed 5 months in advance to secure the loan due to credit history which the total $775.00. and my payment would not be due till 9-1 for the deposit. Like a stupid person I am, I agreed to it after checking BBB and nothing found. I sent the fax back with a copy of drivers license and contract. I did not submit my paystub. On 4-16 we talked and he advised me that I needed to Western Union that sum plus $62.00 fee to a lady named Nadjda to Russia which should have been a red flag to me. But I thought us does conduct buisness with other countries. He promised me the money would be in my account on 4-17 guaranteed this is not a scam, they are a legit buisness and if it fell through i would get reimburrsed my money. well on 4-17 no money so i try and contact police department to find out what could be done, called western union and placed investigation due to fraud - too late for money to be returned, it was already received from other person. I also sent an email through the wesite stating it was scam. Agter conducting google search, still nothing was found wrong with this company. I contacted Chicago Police Department in IL to find out about the address from the fax which was 150 East Huron Street they advised it was a medical building and had several offices. They could not help me. Could not contact BBB to report due to weekend. About 30 minutes later i receive a callback from this guy stating he was from the same company, he was like a manager of the corp and wanted to discuss my loan. He went to tell me due to insurance needs the private lender needed 775.00 more and payments would not be due till next year. I told him absolutley not and i demaned my full refund. He said he could not get anything refunded to my account until 5-7 due to the billing cycle. i demanded my money and continued to argue demanding it. he apologized and said there was nothing he could do until 5-7 either deposit to my account or certified check which would be received in a couple of days after the 7th. He assured me that it was not a scam they were a buisness and I asked him to verify his address, he said in a hateful manner, you have the address on the fax documents, I ended the call and tried to investigate it a little more. I researched the fax number and found it to a landline in chicago, il. i even called back the number several times and voice recording ( sounds legit) of extensions, hours of operation, and at the closing voice recording says ATLANTIC PAXTON AND WILLIS EQUITY GROUP. This is all I know I have acouple of names, extensions, address, and phone # with the wesite info.
#26788 by The Enchantress Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:07 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Igbot. I am sorry that you have lost money to these scammers.

Please cease all contact with this scammer and do not wire any more money.

It is a definite scam.

Legitimate loan companies do not require fees, nor do they use Western Union.

Please see these guides;

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3161

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5

Please post any questions or concerns - we will help you all we can.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#26809 by Ralph Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:41 pm
Hi Igbot.

I am sorry about what has happened to you, these scammers go to great lengths to hide their identity and unfortunately the police, even if they did have some knowledge on these scams, would be unable to do a great deal to help you.

It is interesting that they have a US phone number, I am not yet sure how they have done that, have they provided any email address at all on their (fake) documentation, it may be possible to find out where they actually are.
#26827 by lgbott Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:36 am
no email address as of yet but i checked into the fax number through searching the intellius and it came up chicago illinois is the location for the landline for the fax. what should i do on my end to keep my identity safe from now on?
#26838 by The Enchantress Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:48 am
The information on the fax may well be of a legitimate company, which is merely being used by the scammer.

Advice on safety here http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#26868 by Dotti Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:50 pm
The phone number may be completely unconnected to location.
I'm not in a position to research the number right now, but... We are seeing an increasing number of Magic Jack phone numbers appearing in scams. Magic Jack offers users a choice of several different area codes/exchanges for their number, and I do know that Chicago numbers are an option.

We also see an occasional VOIP number that shows up as a landline but is being answered far from the location.

As to what to do now, it's going to depend on what information you gave to the scammers. You might need to flag possible identity theft if you gave your social secuity number. You should also contact your bank to determine whether the bank account you gave to the scammers has any unusual activity and whether you should consider closing it.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#26909 by Ralph Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 pm
I sent some information by PM to Igbot last night but for the benefit of anybody else who may find this post;

If anyone is concerned that scammers may have their personal details and that they are at risk of identity theft, please read this page:

http://www.fraudaid.com/ID_theft.htm

I would also suggest reading the whole site. It definitely contains some very good information