If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#263063 by Retri Bute Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:12 am
I'm a Disabled Veteran, who is almost done with my schooling in Cyber Security, so i have extra time on my hands and decided to look in the gig section on Craigslist in the Computer section. As I am scrolling down and weeding out the scams, crap, interns positions. and I replied to a couple some were quick things like tutor in computers or a quick repair, or some help on a website. Then I saw, (WOW), i was gonna get the link and show you what he had and boom another page different heading and number was just posted. Now i have him.. ok well he needed an assistant and someone to post rentals on line. I guess it was my off day and didn't see the warning signals that should have been going off in my head. Until the next day. So he hired me and asked when can I start and I said now if you want. He sent me the info i posted on craigslist and backpage. The first rental was in Colorado. and after I posted the info, he wanted the links. So two hours after I made the post, I got an email from a man asking how nice the house is and is it for rent, all I did was forward his email to the (SCAMMER) and replied back to him saying someone will get intouch. The email blocked me! I mean in like ten minutes when he sent it. From that point I started to see something and I got another posting then another from another email account within the so call company. On the 3rd email the posting was from my town, the other side but I know the area. and it was nice 3 bedroom 2 bath like 1900 SQF 2 car garage and huge back yard and lots of open space. $900.00. So when I saw the price I said to myself wait a minute I pay $950.00 for a 1 bedroom in a little bit of a nicer area but sill for that price and all the room. Did some checking and then all my red flags started, After the 4th listing I sent him an email and I said well since I am working for you now I thought you should know a little more about me. I gave him my true run down in the Military and how many tours. How I am in my final training for Cyber Security and that I am working on my C.E.H (Certified Ethical Hacker) don't worry folks, White Hat one of the good guys. And then I proceeded to tell him some of my skills. He did not reply back I got another posting and then I took that posting and searched the address and found the actual owner and real estate company who is the actual representer for that property and asked if it was for rent and is so, do any of the people, (the names I provided) work with or for you company. The Answer of course, NO. So I go into my security mode and first thing I did was deleted all postings and contacted all the properties and told them what happened and apologized and if they need any more info for law enforcement to contact me. I then went back to the ad on craigslist and boom he had another one posted looking for someone else to do the same work. . I sent him an email and said basically some really bad words that he wouldn't want someone like me to work for him and that I had nothing but time to use my skills and track him down. Now I have my tricks that I can use but here is something in case some of you didn't know, but I am sure a lot of you know. Tracking email software, their are a lot and lot of them really good but this one is my favorite and its free for 25 uses. it has some pretty good tools to use. xxxxxxxxxxx but enough of that I am not here to promote any software. so here is some of the info and maybe some of you can, if you have time. In your city check the gig section and he seems to keep posting in the computers and you will see something like this. And I have a pretty good ideal which state he is in and I am still working on it and I will get him.

WORK WITH US AND GET PAID AFTER 7 DAYS
Are you Tired of low paying jobs that take up all your time??? Feel like you aren't getting treated fairly by your employer? This is a simple opportunity you don't want to pass up:

The Company of Epicenter Advertising need some people who can Post properties for rent on Craigslist for seven (7days) a week and get paid bi$300. All you need is a CL account, Computer and fast internet..

Do you think you have what it takes to be one of our next sales representatives? If the qualifications above fits you and fits your interest don't hesitate to call Frank show contact info TEXT ONLY

that the posting here is the other info and when I get some more I will update. or if anyone has anything for me please feel free to email me xxxxxxx Thank you all and have a good night

Delivered-To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Received: by 10.64.223.107 with SMTP id qt11csp440496iec;
Mon, 3 Aug 2015 14:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.202.230.70 with SMTP id d67mr149771oih.14.1438637145874;
Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from BLU004-OMC1S31.hotmail.com (blu004-omc1s31.hotmail.com. [65.55.116.42])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id cx4si12434561oeb.100.2015.08.03.14.25.45
for <xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA bits=128/128);
Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:25:45 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.55.116.42 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.55.116.42;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 65.55.116.42 as permitted sender) [email protected];
dmarc=pass (p=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=outlook.com
Received: from BLU182-W92 ([65.55.116.8]) by BLU004-OMC1S31.hotmail.com over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.23008);
Mon, 3 Aug 2015 14:25:45 -0700
X-TMN: [S4u+YiuXDmvc20YDQpYmaRkU+Ltzc0fc]
X-Originating-Email: [[email protected]]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

alan phillips
541-357-7169 ( the only number used and still active now)
[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal information and outside link.
Advertisement

#263123 by stackableg Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:55 pm
Hi. I responded to his ad a few days ago and he responded back to me tonight. Before I found this post, I told him that I would make a good worker due to my vast technology experience. What should I do now?
#264069 by Retri Bute Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 am
Definitely stay away from that post, but if you do have some cyber skills. Then I would say use something like
https://www.readnotify.com and try to get his actual IP. But if you don't have the skills just let it go and flag it or email me the link at <removed-dotti> and I will take it over..

Retri

edit by dotti--removed link to email address. We don' t encourage posting of personal or baiting email addresses here. Users can respond to the thread or send a PM.
#272068 by SecretSub82 Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:02 pm
I just responded to his CL ad. I sent him my linkedin profile and he has my personal email and phone number. Can he hack my personal info with that?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/crg/5273729121.html

I txted him at +15413577169 and he replied. Looks like he is located in Eugene, OR

What preventative measures can I take to make sure he doesn't hack my personal info.
#272070 by Bryon Williams Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:11 pm
He can not hack you with the basic information you provided.

The phone number is most likely a text only number using Voip. The scammer is most likely in West Africa. He wanted you to post fake rental ads on Craigslist.

1-541-357-7169
PT Writer/Editor needed (NYC)

Greetings!!
I am seeking a craigslist poster and PT personal assistant.. I need someone to post properties for me on craigslist, and a few other sites, on a daily basis. If this job description sounds interesting and viable to you, please contact me when you feel you are able to begin posting. The only requirements are a computer, internet access, and a phone for communicating texts. Do not contact me if you are not available to start the job right away. I will be paying a minimum of $250 every 2 weeks, based on production. You can reach me at the number listed. [text only] The best way to reach me is by text. I rarely answer calls most of the time due to my work. Please follow up by texting your e-mail as well as we will communicate that way too.
Text line: 541-357-7169
This can lead to more work with the right candidate. I am based on the West coast, so take time zones into consideration. Thank you.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#272109 by HillBilly Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:45 am
(541) 357-7169
Owner's name hidden for privacy reasons

Owner is based in Eugene, OR
VoIP - Bandwidth.com CLEC

#285307 by coinpuppy Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:44 pm

You are lucky you figured it out in time
    #1 rule. NEVER tell the scammers that you know they are a scam or how you know....as tempting as it is...al it does is show them the mistake they made and help them hone their spiel,

#2 They use IP hiders and anonymous text software....Hes in Nigeria or Ghana....I bet my car on it! Seriously.

#3 You will never get paid. He is an anonymous African Scammer who knows that there is nothing you can do

All you can do is EDUCATE YOURSELF on ALL the scams out there/how they work

SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE to try to hep other victims

And you can always bait....thats a fun safe way for revenge...check out www.419eater.com for info on that